SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-17, 01:00 PM   #5266
Psyentific
Nub

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
It's just that when you eventually tire of the repetition you may want to consider FOTARS Ultimate, regardless of it's current state at that time.

Good luck, and have fun - that's why we are here!
Yeah, after a few runs through TMO I wound up gaming the system hard enough to score hundreds of thousands of tons over just a few patrols. Unguarded ports on Formosa, the Japanese inland sea and Tokyo Bay were my usual stops in Grayback. I remember hitting Taipei almost every time I was in the area.

One of my major gripes was that ports were lightly guarded (usually just one subchaser patrolling one approach) without any of the sea defenses that made it actually dangerous IRL (minefield on most approaches, torpedo/sub nets). Couple that with a 5kt or two usually in port, maybe a 10kt Nippon Maru if you're lucky and you could pick 'em like fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I can tell you the eye candy in FOTRSU kills anything previously available, doubles the number of ships, introduces enemy submarines into the war, is more vicious than TMO and/or RSRDC. We opted to go for a completely dynamic campaign so you can't game the system.
Sold! I assume everything I need is here?
Psyentific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 01:19 PM   #5267
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes. There is also a JSGME and LAA utilities in the package - er, I think... They will be in the final.

Read all about the LAA applet in CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install

The latest version of JSGME is 2.6 (point one??)

If I'm not mistaken, there is a MultiSH4 in the 7z file also... I can't find too much on it as far as "installs", but there are a few threads around here about it... It allows you to have separate Save folders for any number of separate SH4 installs. That way, you can have your cake and eat it too!

Last but not least, if you'll be doing much modding or using of mods, life is much easier once you set things up the Rockin Robbins way with Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System (SH4CMS)

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 01:47 PM   #5268
Psyentific
Nub

Downloads: 11

Oh yeah, I'm well familiar with LAA and mod managers from my days running 100+ mod installs of New Vegas and Skyrim, not to mention the things I've done to STALKER. Nice that they're included, means I don't have to dig 'em up.

E: I wonder if I could run an ENB with this? That sounds stupid and half-pointless, I'm gonna try it.

Last edited by Psyentific; 08-31-17 at 02:00 PM.
Psyentific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 03:30 PM   #5269
propbeanie

Are you talking about

http://enbdev.com/download.htm

by chance? I'm not sure if that would work with SH4 or not. It would be interesting to try it. A fellow just a few weeks ago was getting the sun, when near the horizon, shining through objects that were supposed to be solids. I seen a couple instances of search lights doing similar, so the AA may need tweaking under certain circumstances. If you are familiar with the mod, and try to do that, let us know how it goes. Don't be surprised though if it doesn't trash things on you... Carry on!

Old 08-31-17, 04:10 PM   #5270
altctrlspud
Nub

Downloads: 9

I only get one objective once I start a patrol, then only get "no new objective"... Anybody know why?
altctrlspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 06:01 PM   #5271
propbeanie

We haven't worked much on the DynamicMiss.cfg, and that's where the assignments come from when you call in a Status Report after the completion of your assigned objective. We'll be doing some further tweaking to the campaign files over the next couple of weeks for the addition of AI Japanese submarines, and after that, some clean-up of some layers, and then, if it looks like the campaign is relatively stable, we'll start going through the links in the CFG file, and see what's what with it.

Old 09-01-17, 07:21 AM   #5272
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by altctrlspud View Post
I only get one objective once I start a patrol, then only get "no new objective"... Anybody know why?
In your situation having finished your objective, with no "New" objective produced by head quarters, and you've got fuel/torpedoes to spend.......start on your own and patrol areas that may produce kills sailor!! While you're waiting on your written invitation from Eleanor to arrive, start "kicking ass and taking names"!!

American "brass" were not as particular about a sub Captain following orders as the uptight German side! You must have been playing SHIII? Get out there and bag a trophy, but don't come back until you're out of torpedoes!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 12:36 AM   #5273
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
While you're waiting on your written invitation from Eleanor to arrive, start "kicking ass and taking names"!!
My sentiments precisely. Currently 12.5 nm S of Kawasaki.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 06:34 PM   #5274
Admiral Lutjens
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 73

I love this mod!!!!

That said, I have a few glitches I've noticed while playing my American career. A couple of random crashes for seemingly no reason in the many hours I've been playing.

And also, I was playing the Dec. 8th 1941 Campaign from Manila...had a Gar class Sub...went and raided Taipei and on my way back...on the surface...my CO2 kept rising until my crew died from CO2 poisoning even though I was surfaced. Thought that was bizarre.

WONDERFUL mod, in all. I love the graphics and all the ships and airplanes.

Thought I would bring this to your attention, keep up the good work.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...=1#post2671928
Admiral Lutjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 08:36 PM   #5275
propbeanie

Admiral, do you happen to remember if you used the Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Tab key combos (or the Windows button) to go to your desktop while the game was playing? That is one sure way to "stick" the CO2 level. The way to "unstick" it is to save and exit the game. Then come back into the game and reload. Caveat: Usually...

Old 09-04-17, 08:18 AM   #5276
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Lutjens View Post
I was playing the Dec. 8th 1941 Campaign from Manila...had a Gar class Sub...went and raided Taipei and on my way back...on the surface...my CO2 kept rising until my crew died from CO2 poisoning even though I was surfaced. Thought that was bizarre.
This has been a stock game problem since the games release. As propbeanie states, a "Windows Feature" many people use is the "Alt+Tab", or "Ctrl+Tab" keyboard capability that takes you back to the desktop. The game keeps running in the background, while you do other things.

This "Windows Feature" is not in the instructions of the game (yes, there's a "manual" file for instructions)......no place on the Keyboard Layout does it say you can/should do this. So, don't do it!

That being said, I never do it...ever! Yet, I've had the same C02 rise kill my crew too!! It's been said, that if you realize you've got a run-a-way C02 issue, save your game, exit out of the game returning to the desktop with the game completely removed from running, then restart your game, and restart your "saved" point....the C02 will be returned to normal function. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's been a work around for this long standing issue.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:24 AM   #5277
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi CS
Quote:
a "Windows Feature" many people use is the "Alt+Tab", or "Ctrl+Tab" keyboard capability that takes you back to the desktop
Apologies if I am being a bit thick here.
If you deliberately want to go back to the desktop surely you pause the game first and use the Windows key.
Then press your game icon to go back to the game.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 12:26 PM   #5278
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi CS
Apologies if I am being a bit thick here.
If you deliberately want to go back to the desktop surely you pause the game first and use the Windows key.
Then press your game icon to go back to the game.
Peter
i agree with THEBERBSTER. Pause the game. Shell out to Windows and do what you need to do and then come back to the game. i have not experienced those types of problems since i learned to pause-before-shelling-to-windows.

good luck and good hunting!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 04:18 PM   #5279
propbeanie

The OS used may have a bearing on that also. No data to support that, but just a WAG about Windows.

Old 09-04-17, 04:51 PM   #5280
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953

do you know if there will be a new version with things fixed or this is the last one?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote