SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-17, 05:56 AM   #1
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Not sure This Has been Asked - Mod Order?

Is there an order to installing the mods?

I'd like to get to the Block 3 Los Angeles. Do I install the "Omitted American Submarines" mod by The Bandit first followed by the "Los Angeles class VLS" mod by Skwabie?

BTW: A big thanks to both for putting these Mods together....I know the work that has to go into something like that.

I ask this because once the first "Overwrite" folder is created, any future mods would overwrite the original or is there some new undocumented feature in the M$ operating system that would prevent that?
origl_main_raptor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 06:48 AM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by origl_main_raptor2 View Post
Is there an order to installing the mods?

I'd like to get to the Block 3 Los Angeles. Do I install the "Omitted American Submarines" mod by The Bandit first followed by the "Los Angeles class VLS" mod by Skwabie?

BTW: A big thanks to both for putting these Mods together....I know the work that has to go into something like that.

I ask this because once the first "Overwrite" folder is created, any future mods would overwrite the original or is there some new undocumented feature in the M$ operating system that would prevent that?
Hey, thanks for trying my mod. Unfortunately in a lot of ways right now mods are mutually exclusive (you can only run them one at a time if the change the same files like weapons.txt and sensors.txt)

The recommendation I would give you is to either run Skwabie's mod or look at Captian3X's PRS or the 2004 campaign mod. I think all three of those have the 688I whereas my mod doesn't. I hope this was helpful to you.
Old 07-29-17, 07:01 AM   #3
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Default Thanx for the quick ansewr

Does that mean that if I want to have the "missing" subs and the VLS III, I have to pick and choose" from the txt files. Or is there a way to edit these files to include specific lines from each?
Old 07-29-17, 08:03 AM   #4
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by origl_main_raptor2 View Post
Does that mean that if I want to have the "missing" subs and the VLS III, I have to pick and choose" from the txt files. Or is there a way to edit these files to include specific lines from each?
If you're talking about adding the 688I to OAS, you're going to be editing text files. You'd need to add it on the vessel_list.txt as well as adding it into the summary.txt file for the campaign and whatever single missions you'd want it to be playable in. Further more to have it work properly, if it uses different weapons / sensors from what's in the standard game, you'd need to either add whatever is missing (say a Mk 48 ADCAP) to the weapons.txt and sensors.txt files as well. Alternately you could edit the vessel and change it to use something that is currently present in either of those files (say switch-out the ADCAPs for standard Mk 48s), and you'd need to bring the damage control .pngs along too.
Old 07-30-17, 05:13 AM   #5
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Default Whew.....Ok.....

Lets see,

1) Add 688I to vessal_list.txt and summary.txt

2) Check for non-standard weapons in and add into weapons.txt.

3) Ditto with sensors.txt FILES!!!!!! (yikes)

4) and figure out what changes are needed to the whole damage thingmie.

THESE ARE ALL DO_ABLE, though....and I think I'm might give it a try, gotta look at file layouts, how the data is set up, make backups of the originals, etc. first.

Ok, right now I'm VERY early part of understanding what's going on here. I haven't even got past "Basic Torps" yet. But I'm having a problem in that I'm having to re-map some of Standard Controls on this laptop, because it don't have no TAB key and some of function keys have a mind of their own and when combined Windows 10, bad ju-ju occurs.

Plus I got this G13 gamepad coming in, so I'll have to set that sucker up.

And It's fishin' season!!!!

Thanks for the help.

BTW: This sounds like something the EAW community did way back when.