SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-13-17, 01:19 PM   #211
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yes indeed I know that, but I am pretty sure that any object can be used as a terrain object, no matter whether it is located in the Terrain folder or not.
Yes, with placement nodes in the .dat file located in the Locations folder.

Quote:
I still see an unfixed possible error though: while digging into stock files, I have noticed that the container used for the StaticObject controller, is usually of the type 10 / 1000, not the more common 10 / -1

I hope you get my point
Mmhh ... not yet.

Quote:
You once told me that terrain objects' vertical position is always relative to the sea level, whereas land units get linked to the terrain/seabed. Is that correct?

If yes, no matter how good you match the two parts in wings 3D, you will still need to measure their relative (vertical) distance in game, and make the appropriate changes in Wings3D based on that measure.
Yes, I aligned both models on the verticals axis : I mean both are exactly on the vertical axis, but not at the same place on this axis of course (separated by 1,7, so 17 meters, as you already did). The problem was that the rock was not adapted with the base of the beacon, so I moved it a bit. And yes, it was hard for you to understand what I was meaning. Sorry for that.

Quote:
We are talking about horizontal position, right?

I knew that choosing to set the rock as a terrain object, though more logical, would have caused this sort of problems. That's why I asked you how you wanted me to set it. No problem is insurmontable though.

There is a linear relation in the SHIII world between lat/long degrees and metric offsets so no big problem here: despite the different system of coordinates adopted, we can place the two parts exactly at the same spot.
I once had a converter by TheDarkWraith. I cannot find it anymore, but I can create something similar for you
Cool !

Quote:
If the lighthouse is destroyed during the campaign, or if at some point it must be removed from game (according to historical data on its destruction), the rock would diasappear too, and I didn't want that: the submerged danger should keep there.
IMHO, it's not a big deal if a submerged rock is deleted somewhere in the sea.

Quote:
- I have created a tga mask for the lighthouse, which is linked to the rock object. The icon is inspired by modern nautical charts, no idea how beacons were marked in German charts of the 30s-40s. I hope you like it:

Maybe for SH5, but it will be hard, and probably impossible to have it on the SH3 navigation map. The pic will be totally pixellised and not readable at all.
Old 07-13-17, 01:23 PM   #212
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just so you know : I won't be here the next few days.

Old 07-13-17, 01:59 PM   #213
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Just so you know : I won't be here the next few days.
No problem, RL takes the priority

Quote:
Yes, with placement nodes in the .dat file located in the Locations folder.
I don't think that placemet nodes are essential: they are just an echomomic way to build harbors and town by assembling many common buildings. We might use them for complex rocks, but unless you have a practical reason for having them, let's keep things simple for the moment.

Quote:
Mmhh ... not yet.
Have you downloaded the latest alpha? If you look into the rock file and you compare it with the previous version, you will understand at once

Quote:
Yes, I aligned both models on the verticals axis : I mean both are exactly on the vertical axis, but not at the same place on this axis of course (separated by 1,7, so 17 meters, as you already did). The problem was that the rock was not adapted with the base of the beacon, so I moved it a bit. And yes, it was hard for you to understand what I was meaning. Sorry for that.
I got you now

Weird: I thought the two models were already "on the same axis", but I might have done some mistake. I will check my files

Quote:
Cool !
I am working on the unit converter now

Quote:
IMHO, it's not a big deal if a submerged rock is deleted somewhere in the sea.
What's the point of navigation beacons, if not marking some hidden obstacles. How funny if the beacon is gone, and we ram the obstacle

Quote:
Maybe for SH5, but it will be hard, and probably impossible to have it on the SH3 navigation map. The pic will be totally pixellised and not readable at all.
So, what kind of icon did you have in mind?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 06:40 PM   #214
gap
Navy Seal

Default SH Coordinates Calculator

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wff9pj...alculator.xlsx

This simple Excel spreadsheet does what the title says: you enter the world coordinates in degrees/minutes/seconds, and it returns the equivalent coordinates in decimal degrees and as in metric format, as used by the SH map projection. It should work for all the Silent Hunter games starting form SHIII

A note on SHIII: Decimal coordinates used for terrain object placement, have a precision of six decimals. In the cylindrical SH world this corresponds to a degree of accuracy of ±12 cm. For our purposes, this is more than enough. In theory, units' placement can be even more precise, but I have decided to round the results of my formulas so to ensure an exact match among the two notations.

The preset coordinates that the spreadsheer is coming with, are relative to the Tourelle de la Plate (measured in Google Earth).

@ Kendras
When you are back from your break, let me know if this tool solves your problems please
Old 07-13-17, 09:34 PM   #215
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I for one thank you gap for the worksheet. It will be put to use as soon as I log out... |;^)

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 09:05 AM   #216
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I for one thank you gap for the worksheet. It will be put to use as soon as I log out... |;^)
Thank you too mate. Whatever you are trying to accomplish, I am glad if my spreadsheet will ease your task
Old 07-14-17, 11:16 AM   #217
propbeanie

Oh yes. Trying to split the Nav Map into increments of Lat / Long versus -242786.54326, etc... I've got the Lat & Long, just need to do the math for what the game uses, and this is ~SO~ much easier. I don't know where my brain was that I didn't think of something like this... Thanks again.

Old 07-14-17, 12:37 PM   #218
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Oh yes. Trying to split the Nav Map into increments of Lat / Long versus -242786.54326, etc... I've got the Lat & Long, just need to do the math for what the game uses, and this is ~SO~ much easier. I don't know where my brain was that I didn't think of something like this... Thanks again.
I can update my calculator with a map projection in SH style that the deisired coordinate is plotted on for visual reference. Let me know if it can make your job easier
Old 07-14-17, 04:05 PM   #219
propbeanie

Do you mean like a "picture" overlay of a Nav Map representation - aka: BigMap.dds in SH4?... It probably would help to visualize, but not really necessary, I don't think... It would be cool though, sort of "Mod Tool" release worthy...

Old 07-14-17, 05:24 PM   #220
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Do you mean like a "picture" overlay of a Nav Map representation - aka: BigMap.dds in SH4?...
Exactly, but I took the overlay map from SH5

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3q83vc...ulator_V2.xlsx

There are two maps: one small map on the same sheet used for data input, useful for making sure that no input errors were done, and a big map in a separate worksheet that one can pan for checking how input coordinates match the SH world
Old 07-15-17, 05:52 AM   #221
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Hi Gap,

Very useful tool, but I must be doing something wrong as when I enter a new position in Lat and Long, the Locations and Units lat and longs don't calculate correctly eg:-

lat 43 5' 12" N, 3 12' 12" W gives a Location Lat of 0.000.043 and Long of -0.000.003 and a Units Lat of 5.170.400 and Long of -0.384.400.

The position shows correctly on the maps though. Excel 2010.

Any idea what is happening?

Regards,

MLF
Old 07-15-17, 08:58 AM   #222
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
Hi Gap,

Very useful tool, but I must be doing something wrong as when I enter a new position in Lat and Long, the Locations and Units lat and longs don't calculate correctly eg:-

lat 43 5' 12" N, 3 12' 12" W gives a Location Lat of 0.000.043 and Long of -0.000.003 and a Units Lat of 5.170.400 and Long of -0.384.400.

The position shows correctly on the maps though. Excel 2010.

Any idea what is happening?

Regards,

MLF
Hi MLF, and thank you for taking the time to test my spreadsheet

I think I know what's happening with it: I probably messed up lol
I have put in the formulas some string functions which replace commas (,) with dots (.) as decimal separators. The idea behind that, was enabling users to copy/paste output values from the worksheet directly into SHIII configuration files, without having to correct the decimal mark manually.

My computer is Italian-localized, and my formulas work perfectly on it. I thought they would have worked for other local settings, but obviously they are not. Indeed. the reason for the position still being plotted correctly on map depsite the error, is that the graph uses numerical values, not the strings extracted from those values.

If you tell me what kind of decimal mark you have set in your system, I can try tand fix the problem.

On a side note: while we are waiting for Kendras to be back on duty (), have you or anyone else tested the last version (alpha v5) of the Petite Vieille lighthouse? I am curious to know if, after my latest changes, the metal platform on top of the tower is still in its place (and with the correct texture), and if there are water reflections after I added the appropriate controllers.

P.S: in case you need them urgently, those are the correct values for the coordinates in your example:

Long= -3.203333
Lat= 43.086667

Long= -384399.960000
Lat= 5170400.040000
Old 07-15-17, 10:35 AM   #223
gap
Navy Seal

New version of my Silent Hunter coordinates calculator:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mt173a...ulator_V3.xlsx

This version should fix the bug reported by MLF. Let me know if it works for you
Old 07-15-17, 06:14 PM   #224
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Hi Gap,

Sorry, been out shopping .

The spread sheet works as expected now as far as Location is concerned - thank you for fixing that. I'll check the unit output side of things tomorrow, if I can understand it - should be able to check against the readings in the mission editor?

I tried the new La Plate light last night - great model. All seemed fine - set up as a land object. the lantern wasn't visible or flashing. Edited the eqp file so that the light was visible until 1945 and it showed OK. Haven't had a chance to get the rock showing, or to test if it is "collisionable". Will endeavour to do that tomorrow.

Thank you (and Kendras) for your dedicated work on these projects - I watch and learn with interest

Regards,

MLF
Old 07-15-17, 06:51 PM   #225
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi Gap,

Sorry, been out shopping .

The spread sheet works as expected now as far as Location is concerned - thank you for fixing that. I'll check the unit output side of things tomorrow, if I can understand it - should be able to check against the readings in the mission editor?
I don't know: I have never used SHIII's mission editor , but if you create any single mission or a campaign mission layer, unit positions/waypoints are stored in the resulting mis file, in 'metric' format (as the one returned by my calculator), and if you place a new terrain object, Locations.cfg should be automatically updated with the position of the new object stored in 'decimal degrees' format. Both mis files and Locations.cfg can be open/edited using any ASCIII text editor.

Quote:
I tried the new La Plate light last night - great model
Thank you Sir

Quote:
All seemed fine - set up as a land object.
As land unit you mean?

Quote:
the lantern wasn't visible or flashing. Edited the eqp file so that the light was visible until 1945 and it showed OK.
What date had you set? The lantern was set to disappear around mid 1940

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to get the rock showing, or to test if it is "collisionable". Will endeavour to do that tomorrow.
Okay, let's leave the rock for when Kendras will be back. So the platform that the lantern is placed on was in place, and the model had water reflections?

Quote:
Thank you (and Kendras) for your dedicated work on these projects - I watch and learn with interest
Thank you too for your precious feed-back