SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 08:44 PM   #1
senjorlossi
Seaman

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0
Default [REQ] Ships on Horizon and realistic Sinking

Hi Guys,

here are two things that I would love to see corrected:

1. Distant ships donīt really come up behind the horizon (as they should), but actually "rise up" within the horizon. No big deal for gameplay, but looks a bit odd (linke SH 1). Maybe the horizon could be lowered somehow, so that distant ships appear correct with their mast over, not under, the horizon? Hope you get what I mean...

I think in SH 3 Ships apperared very nicely with their masts first on the horizon.

2. More important (and most probably easyer to do):

Realistic damage and sinking behaviour of the ships. It seems that, for now, every freighter needs at least 2 fishes, then explodes and sinks on more or less even keel. I think it would be very important to have a more realistic sinking beahvior back as it was already available in SH 3. Also, I would love to see ships actually capsizing. I have never seen that with SH 3 (donīt know if the damage model allows ships to capsize at all).

Would be great if some of the talented modders would look at these aspects.

BTW: A 3-times "horray" to all the modders out there. You have already changed SH 5 into an enjoyable game for me!

Regards,
Stefan.
Old 03-07-10, 08:59 PM   #2
Kilgore87
Nub

Downloads: 2

Odd..I've taken out a few merchant ships and even destroyers with just 1 shot. Sometimes I've cracked a ship in two and occasionally even broken off the front or back.

I've also seen a few ships capsizing.
Kilgore87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:05 PM   #3
Soviet_Warlord
XO

Downloads: 68

Yeah I think the ship damage is a little too simplistic as is right now. Many merchants seem to absorb two torpedoes without much effect, and then suddenly explode and sink like a stone when the rest of the hitpoints are taken (by further torpedoes or shelling). Flooding does not seem to have a significant effect on ship damage - ie. it is rare that you can just sit back and let a ship flood itself to the bottom.
Old 03-07-10, 10:11 PM   #4
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet_Warlord View Post
it is rare that you can just sit back and let a ship flood itself to the bottom.
I have yet to see it. They just seem to keep floating until you deplete the hit points with torps or guns, then sink. I used to like getting a hit or two on a ship, then watch it to see if it would be going down. With SHV, if it is still moving you have to hit it again. Damage needs work badly.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 02:41 PM   #5
Pilot37
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjorlossi View Post
Hi Guys,

2. More important (and most probably easyer to do):

Realistic damage and sinking behaviour of the ships. It seems that, for now, every freighter needs at least 2 fishes, then explodes and sinks on more or less even keel. I think it would be very important to have a more realistic sinking beahvior back as it was already available in SH 3. Also, I would love to see ships actually capsizing. I have never seen that with SH 3 (donīt know if the damage model allows ships to capsize at all).

This is the most important mod.....Cant see the fun in knocking hitpoints of a ship....that is what it feels like.....lots of fire, lots of holes, but just eye candy and no flooding model?
Pilot37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 09:29 PM   #6
senjorlossi
Seaman

Downloads: 49

Another thing I noticed today:

The bow-waves of ships are shining through the waves.

I made an attack onto a convoy in bad wheahter today and loved how the visibility through the periscope was limited due to the high waves. But I had the bow-waves of all the ships shining through all the time, which of course killed any realism.

Maybe an issue tied to the transparent water? Is there a way to switch that off?

Regards,
Stefan.

EDIT:
No, Itīs not an issue of transparent water. Switched it off and the spray-water and wake of the other ships were still visible when looking at them through bigger waves.

Last edited by senjorlossi; 03-08-10 at 10:22 PM.
senjorlossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 04:22 AM   #7
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjorlossi View Post
1. Distant ships donīt really come up behind the horizon (as they should), but actually "rise up" within the horizon. No big deal for gameplay, but looks a bit odd (linke SH 1). Maybe the horizon could be lowered somehow, so that distant ships appear correct with their mast over, not under, the horizon? Hope you get what I mean...

I think in SH 3 Ships apperared very nicely with their masts first on the horizon.
This must be a bug, and I hope it's fixed next time around. It definitely effects game play, and immersion, I can't see the hull of the ship even in clear weather, 7km range..
I agree SH3 had it much much better. First, smoke on the horizon then masts.. (got better with mods)

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote