SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-24, 08:44 PM   #1
ESPY
Watch

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
Default How can I revert torpedoes to a prior mod?

I recently applied the TMO Update BH mod and really like a lot of what it changes. However, the early war torpedoes in this mod are way too frustrating. I know they are intended as a more accurate representation of the historical Mk-14s, which I appreciate, but only to an extent.

I've been doing the Torpedo Attack sub school mission over and over again under different circumstances in an attempt to find the optimal setup but regardless of track angle and pistol setting I can't get any better than a 25 - 40% hit rate (even though all are on target). I see changes in the cause of the failure at different setups, like for example fewer prematures but more deep runners, or fewer deep runners but more duds, but ultimately I haven't found any combination that seems to improve the overall hit rate beyond 1 or 2 out of 4 fired.

I'm wondering if it's possible to revert to the original TMO torpedoes by simply copying the correct files from TMO into the appropriate folders under my TMO Update BH game folder? If so, what would those files be? I see 4 torpedoes_US files (.dat, .dsd, .sim, .zon) in the Data\Library folder. Is it as simple as replacing one or multiple of these?

Thanks!
ESPY
ESPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-24, 05:31 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First thing to check is your Options / Gameplay settings on the menus. For the Main Menu, in which your Single Missions, War Patrols, Sub School, and MultiPlayer are configured, you use the Options and then Gameplay Settings

Stock Main Menu

However, if you are doing a career, you have to use the menu you get to by clicking on the wooden radio console to the left side of the Captain's Office prior to going on patrol. Choose Gameplay Settings there also. Each career can have its own set of options set:

FotRSU's Captain's Office:

Note that the box for Dud Torpedoes in the Capatain's Office is empty, so there will not be dud torpedoes. So make certain you have Dud Torpedoes turned-off in both of those menus. Then, if you still have issues, you would use Silent3Ditor to open the Data /Library / Torpedoes_US.dat file, highlight the desired torpedo you want to edit, select its ID in the upper middle, Ctrl-C to copy the number (such as 0x8f346dcc43bfbcb2), then click on the "sim" file link in the upper right of the window, and once in that file, use the "Edit - Find" menu (Ctrl-F) and use Ctrl-V to paste that ID number into the Find dialog. 'Search', and it should highlight the appropriate "amun_torpedo" for the desired torpedo. Select the settings below the found item, and edit the desired settings in there, whether it'd be guidance or pistol. Note that there are several of those settings that deal with dates and angles of impact...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-24, 10:12 PM   #3
ESPY
Watch

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Thanks pb, but duds are definitely enabled…which explains my 60-75% dud/failure rate.

What I really wanted to know is if I can replace the entire torpedoes_US.dat file with the one from the original TMO 2.5 and if there are any other files I would need to replace with it?

Thanks,
ESPY
ESPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-24, 07:18 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPY View Post
Thanks pb, but duds are definitely enabled…which explains my 60-75% dud/failure rate.

What I really wanted to know is if I can replace the entire torpedoes_US.dat file with the one from the original TMO 2.5 and if there are any other files I would need to replace with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... you would use Silent3Ditor to open the Data /Library / Torpedoes_US.dat file, highlight the desired torpedo you want to edit, select its ID in the upper middle, Ctrl-C to copy the number (such as 0x8f346dcc43bfbcb2), then click on the "sim" file link in the upper right of the window, and once in that file, use the "Edit - Find" menu (Ctrl-F) and use Ctrl-V to paste that ID number into the Find dialog. 'Search', and it should highlight the appropriate "amun_torpedo" for the desired torpedo...
Most likely not, due to that "ID" issue slightly described above. Each 'device' is linked by IDs, and changing one file of a set will most likely result in broken ID links. You might get away with changing the whole set of 4x Torpedoes_US files, but those also have ID links to other files, such as Particles that might be broken also. You could try the whole Torpedoes_US set (built as a mod) and see what happens, but if you then CTD when a torpedo impact is to happen, or possibly the torpedo passes through a ship, or perhaps you lose the 'explosion' or sound effect, you'll know you broke something.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote