SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-16, 10:57 AM   #1
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206
Uploads: 0

Default Questions for the Experts

I've recently used the modified Submarine ".sim" file for the Type VIIB that was provided by "redline" and found some improvement in the behavior of the boat in LSH3...and some things that were not as good as before. I've compared those changes to the changes in GWX3 and found some interesting differences. So, I decided to try to "tweak" the ".sim" files. But first, I compared those to the values for other boats in SH3 and for both the U-Boats and US Fleet Boats in SH4 and found many significant differences; some of them are understandable, but most are a puzzle.

Before I go too far, I'd like to know if there are some knowledgeable people out there who understand and can explain what some of the values actually mean and how changing them changes the behavior of the boat.

My biggest "gripe" is the maneuverability of the boat, especially the submerged turn rate and depth-change rate..."sluggish" performance was not a Type VII U-boat feature. I'm not looking to create an arcade-game hot rod, just to improve the turning and depth control performance.

The "automatic" use of 40-degree rudder and the resultant speed decrease are no doubt a related problem. I'm guessing that they are all related to the "drag" values in the ".sim" file...but that's just a guess.

Any help and/or suggestions would be very welcome.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 11:15 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

How fast are you travelling when you make changes in course and depth? Any ship will have its best turn rate at maximum speed and its worst when going slow. If you're silent running at 1 knot don't expect any changes to take place any time this week.
Old 05-25-16, 12:05 PM   #3
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Look under Section 5c of this Translation of the Book The British Captured along with Enigma and an Entire U-Boat. You will see the Actual Values of Rate of Turn and Speeds at which they can turn at the Said Rate. http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual/Manual.htm
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 12:16 PM   #4
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
If you're silent running at 1 knot don't expect any changes to take place any time this week.

Funny, but not quite that bad ... a couple of days maybe.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 04:39 PM   #5
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Downloads: 159

Quote:
The "automatic" use of 40-degree rudder
i dont know how better could be but i think when ship turns shouldnt be an angule of more than 30º,when ships turns always make it on phisical limit, something you should not use if you dont want break it.