SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-31-19, 08:23 AM   #1
Jackdaw
Watch

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 8
Default Smooth Penetrating Gunshot -

Not only medical bagatelle?

Skippers,

Erstwhile I was a little on the way trying to solve an editor problem. For testing purposes, of course, I came under fierce defensive fire of various coastal batteries and a battleship. Hits were unavoidable. While e.g. in SHCE or AOD of the entire "workforce" in view of the hit noise and the jarring and vibration of the boat (screen) would have flown out all the seals, one enjoys at SH1.5 with Ultimate0.8 the process as in the living room chair and gets casually reported that it is few damages were.

Given the fact that it was already possible in the immemorial Sims and then in SH 3 with a mod to incorporate this really necessary and great atmosphere, it is a pity that today apparently no longer works. For this one could well do without some unnecessary ship material.

Well, be that as it may, the crew shouted so that I went to see what damage had occurred? Nothing irreparable and alleged hull damage of 20% !? So I drove on. A little later, I wanted to create myself an environment overall impression and saw it - by chance - what the boat looked like. Sure - that's obviously at most 20% hull damage right? Since the damage should be over water, I have brought out the swimming trunks and fun, a crash dive performed. Absolutely easy down to 160 ft and surfaced again! No suspicious noises, no floods, nothing! I love it! The best simulation the world has ever seen. Instead of other words, I have attached a few tiny pictures or - very long ago - what else were the Bay City Rollers singing:"It's a game, a game, a game that we play....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10383

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10384

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10385

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10386

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10387

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10388

Still afraid of depth charges, hm?
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 12:32 PM   #2
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
Not only medical bagatelle?

Skippers,

Erstwhile I was a little on the way trying to solve an editor problem. For testing purposes, of course, I came under fierce defensive fire of various coastal batteries and a battleship. Hits were unavoidable. While e.g. in SHCE or AOD of the entire "workforce" in view of the hit noise and the jarring and vibration of the boat (screen) would have flown out all the seals, one enjoys at SH1.5 with Ultimate0.8 the process as in the living room chair and gets casually reported that it is few damages were......
Please can post your complete mod list?
Or you have corrupted installation.....or other problem... this is not how FOTRSU works
Old 05-31-19, 12:48 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

But, as the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail said: "'Tis just a flesh wound!"...

The "damage model" in SH4 is such that those "holes" are artwork, drawn into a part of the 3D model, and show based upon damage inflicted nearby, such that sometimes you see a hole, sometimes you don't. Sometimes, it's where you were hit, sometimes not. Drawing "accurate" holes for all contingencies would be very time consuming, as well as probably take up all of the computer's resources. There are usually about 3 holes for torpedoes, sometimes only two, and then several "shell holes", such as what you've got there... As for "shake" upon an impact, you should see some, just not a lot. Camera shake is one of those things that can put the game "over the top" in computer resource useage, and cause a CTD rather quickly, besides having to "customize" it for each boat. Most mods will turn the effect down from what it was originally.

As hauangua mentions, it would be a good idea to post your mod list, where you have the game installed, your basic computer set-up, as well as to whether or not you have the 4 gig "patch" activated on the SH4.exe file correctly.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:40 AM   #4
Jackdaw
Watch

I can live with the "holes". Already clear that has to do with the individual design of the damage. My contribution was also rather humorous. But in the meantime, I found out that the hydrophone in Type IX D 2 is dead. The pointer is at 0 degrees, the green indicator lights steadily and nothing works.
All US subs as well as type XVIII not only work perfectly in this area. Finally, I decided to completely reinstall. Hydrophon IX D 2 continues dead in the described manner.

I'm using a Win7 HP (64 bit) with 8 GB Ram. Intel i7-2670 QM CPU 2,2 GHZ (6 MB Intel Smart Cache); Turbo 2,9 GHZ, Nvidia GeForce GT 540 M 2048 MB GDDR 3, Laptop at 1366 x 768 with game setting 1360 x 768, due to the fact, that at the correct solution screenshots are sepia and completely distorted.

The complete installation is on E:\; only build and used for SH 4.
Large adress is activated.

Activated Mod-list:

The "units extension mod" only affects two tanks; propbeanie knows what is meant. JoC Haifisch is rarely worn and has never caused problems. The same with TSW snorkel mod. The 3000 y bearing tool is reduced to to the two German boats and yes, here as with the follwing Last Commands JSGME gives an error report that ultimate had just changed the affected files. Last Commands changes the command.cfg according to my ideas.

At last: I cannot remember if I ran the game with intel or nvidia when making the pictures of the holes. The hydrophone is dead when using both.
Old 06-03-19, 04:32 AM   #5
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
I can live with the "holes". Already clear that has to do with the individual design of the damage. My contribution was also rather humorous. But in the meantime, I found out that the hydrophone in Type IX D 2 is dead. The pointer is at 0 degrees, the green indicator lights steadily and nothing works.
All US subs as well as type XVIII not only work perfectly in this area. Finally, I decided to completely reinstall. Hydrophon IX D 2 continues dead in the described manner.

I'm using a Win7 HP (64 bit) with 8 GB Ram. Intel i7-2670 QM CPU 2,2 GHZ (6 MB Intel Smart Cache); Turbo 2,9 GHZ, Nvidia GeForce GT 540 M 2048 MB GDDR 3, Laptop at 1366 x 768 with game setting 1360 x 768, due to the fact, that at the correct solution screenshots are sepia and completely distorted.

The complete installation is on E:\; only build and used for SH 4.
Large adress is activated.

Activated Mod-list:

The "units extension mod" only affects two tanks; propbeanie knows what is meant. JoC Haifisch is rarely worn and has never caused problems. The same with TSW snorkel mod. The 3000 y bearing tool is reduced to to the two German boats and yes, here as with the follwing Last Commands JSGME gives an error report that ultimate had just changed the affected files. Last Commands changes the command.cfg according to my ideas.

At last: I cannot remember if I ran the game with intel or nvidia when making the pictures of the holes. The hydrophone is dead when using both.
Since fotrsu is still in the "beta" phase, it is recommended not to add external Mods ...
Old 06-03-19, 08:23 AM   #6
propbeanie

I agree with hauangua, for the US side. If using the German side, be aware that only the game's "global" settings are altered in FotRSU. The only other alterations in the German files in FotRSU is for the campaign files compatibility. ie: we altered the ship calls to match what they are in FotRSU. We neither added nor altered traffic, so all of the bad, multiple spawns in one location, and the ship spawns that occur on and in land are still there, just like in the incomplete UBoat Missions add-on from Ubisoft. What I would do though, is back the Mods off one at a time, and test the Uboats after each. Pay particular attention to the Turm mod. If you don't have the UPCUnitsData folders, that could well be the problem... In the meantime, I'll "test" my sonar stations on the two boats in my FotRSU install here within the next hour.

Edit: OK, using Single Missions, I have "tested" the 9 & 18, and both sonars work in FotRSU with no other mods. I do not get any reports from the crew, until very close to a ship, and then they'll report from "Medium distance" at best. Raising the scope, I'll be about 2500 yards away. If I "aim" the head myself though, no problem "hearing" from much greater distances. Similar in the career with the Type IX-D2

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-03-19 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Three hours later...
Old 06-03-19, 10:37 AM   #7
Jackdaw
Watch

Guys, thank you!

Basically, I'm not of the opinion that external mods must be avoided - beta version or not - but you have to look at where these mods change what! Propbeanie had the right nose. I was afraid of the "single test", because I probably had this idea somewhere deep inside, but I really like the snorkel mod! Unfortunately he is the bastard. I'll take a look at the three UPCUnitData's again. Maybe there is something else to save. Anyway, now this passive sonar is running again as it should.

And the "holes" should not be the problem. It's not like the boats are indestructible. I was also no time out of the window (äh sudden death, understand?), if I had deliberately or intentionally gone within the range of heavy ship or coastal artillery. Thank you again!
Old 06-03-19, 10:49 AM   #8
propbeanie

You'll probably find a mis-match in the sonar equipment between the two sets of files. Use WinMerge and compare the text files in UPCDataGE / UPCUnitsData / UnitParts*.upc files and maybe the Equipment.upc file. Also, check the Submarine folder, upcge files.

Tags
crash dive, hull damage, leaking