SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-19, 03:55 AM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default No Mark 10 torpedo wake.

Greetings,
I just recently downloaded Captain America's "US Torpedo Overhaul v1.1" mod. Everything is working fine, however....I noticed during an S-Boat scenario, that the Mark 10 torpedoes are not leaving a bubble wake on the water surface, like my previous Mark 10's did....Anyone know where I need to go with S3D to correct it?
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 08:04 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaskegaard View Post
Greetings,
I just recently downloaded Captain America's "US Torpedo Overhaul v1.1" mod. Everything is working fine, however....I noticed during an S-Boat scenario, that the Mark 10 torpedoes are not leaving a bubble wake on the water surface, like my previous Mark 10's did....Anyone know where I need to go with S3D to correct it?
flaske,
a good place to look would be in the mod. check out the files that the good Capn changed. the unmodded Mk10 leaves an obvious wake so the issue MUST be in a modded file.
i performed a quick search for this mod on Subsim and came up empty. is this mod from some other site?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 10:44 AM   #3
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
flaske,
a good place to look would be in the mod. check out the files that the good Capn changed. the unmodded Mk10 leaves an obvious wake so the issue MUST be in a modded file.
i performed a quick search for this mod on Subsim and came up empty. is this mod from some other site?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148526
Old 04-30-19, 11:12 AM   #4
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

From that thread hauangua linked:

Quote:
-The reason for the other files (.zon, .dsd, .sim) being included is because there were issues when creating the new .dat file so each torp could have its own unique texture. To make a long story short, to solve it I changed the mark 10's ID to a new number. Naturally the files I just mentioned had to be updated with the new ID of the mk10 or there would be problems.
That's a good hint on where the problem could be. Probably a node linked to the wake textures wasn't properly updated.
Old 04-30-19, 12:34 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
From that thread hauangua linked:

That's a good hint on where the problem could be. Probably a node linked to the wake textures wasn't properly updated.
yes, true and also this note from the download:
This is for vanilla 1.5. TMO & RFB have their own versions which will be included in their next release.

Flaske, you didn't give us your mod config with your question. are you playing stock 1.5?
also, in addition to the Stock-game restriction, the torpedo-mod-in-question is from 2009. a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.

aren't we a happy bunch? poor guy (flaske) wants to improve his torpedos all we can do is tell him that the mod he is using won't work. my apologies, buddy.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 05:08 PM   #6
Flaskegaard
Medic

I'm running SH4 1.4 with UBoat add-on, and TMO 2-5. When I first noticed no wake on the Mark 10, I loaded all the other torpedo Mk's and fired them....All had wakes, except the Mark 18, of course. I downloaded TORPEDO_US .DAT, .SIM, and .ZON files from an older TMO from my SH4 v1.4, and the Mark 10 had a wake. I reinstalled the US Torpedo Overhaul v1.1, then used S3D to look around in the various file locations. The only place I found with any mention of "wake", were four SHIP-WAKE in the .SIM files, but nothing was labeled to indicate Mk's 10, 14, 16, 23, so I'm not sure if that's where I need to look or not. I'm relatively inexperienced in playing around in the files, so I'm not sure where to zero in on. Can anyone who knows, pinpoint the location I need to check? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-01-19, 03:02 AM   #7
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I downloaded the mod from the given link, and I think the problem might be that the Torpedoes_US.sim file has no Shipwake controller for the new Mk10 torpedo.

There are 6 different torpedoes defined in the .dat file, but only 4 shipwake controllers. Assuming Mk18 is an electric torpedo that leaves no trail, there should be 5 wake controllers.
Old 05-01-19, 03:10 AM   #8
Flaskegaard
Medic

Great! Thanks for looking in on that. Is there any way to correct, or possibly, install a shipwake controller for it?
Old 05-01-19, 03:45 AM   #9
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Actually, further investigating made me realise that it's even simpler. There are 4 shipwake controllers because there are 2 electric torpedoes in the game: the Mk27 is also electric.

So the only problem is that the Mk10 shipwake controller in those overhauled files still points to the original Mk10 ID.

It's an easy fix, just updating the parent shipwake ID fixes the problem.

Try this new Torpedoes_US.sim

Last edited by JapLance; 05-01-19 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 04:12 AM   #10
Flaskegaard
Medic

That did it! I replaced the Torpedo_US.SIM file in my game with the one you provided, and ran a test in one of my single scenarios....and saw four beautiful torpedo wakes! Thanks a million, JapLance! Any way to contact Captain America to tell him of the issue, and your quick fix? UPDATE: I found his Subsim profile and sent him a PM about it....laying all the credit at your feet for the fix! Thanks again, JapLance!

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 05-01-19 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 04:35 AM   #11
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You're welcome .