SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-18, 01:28 PM   #1
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRS campaign and other questions

Hello All,

I’ve gotten the mod to work so I had a couple other questions regarding this mod. I was wondering how the campaign in this mod compared to the vanilla game because wasn’t it the case in the vanilla game where there were just WAY too many enemy aircraft around for that aspect to be considered even remotely realistic? How does FOTRS compare?

Also, I remember that enemy merchant ships in the vanilla game also used to be way too maneuverable (stopped and started on a dime) and were way too easily dodging torpedos. Is it the same in FOTRS?

In addition, I just attacked an enemy invasion force (destroyers, CAs, and merchants) in rough seas at night and somehow the enemy was not only able to spot my scope in rough seas at night but then also proceeded to shell me with their 8 inch guns on their first shot with me at periscope depth and I was dead. Also, I was not keeping my scope up a long time. Maybe pop it up for 15s or so then lowered it again. Seems a little far fetched.....

Last edited by suitednate; 09-24-18 at 06:21 PM.
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 06:56 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitednate View Post
Hello All,

I’ve gotten the mod to work so I had a couple other questions regarding this mod. I was wondering how the campaign in this mod compared to the vanilla game because wasn’t it the case in the vanilla game where there were just WAY too many enemy aircraft around for that aspect to be considered even remotely realistic? How does FOTRS compare?

Also, I remember that enemy merchant ships in the vanilla game also used to be way too maneuverable (stopped and started on a dime) and were way too easily dodging torpedos. Is it the same in FOTRS?

In addition, I just attacked an enemy invasion force (destroyers, CAs, and merchants) in rough seas at night and somehow the enemy was not only able to spot my scope in rough seas at night but then also proceeded to shell me with their 8 inch guns on their first shot with me at periscope depth and I was dead. Also, I was not keeping my scope up a long time. Maybe pop it up for 15s or so then lowered it again. Seems a little far fetched.....

I can give you a totally biased opinion on FOTRSU. First, let me say that FOTRSU is a work in progress, things are constantly being improved. In my humble opinion there is no comparison between the vanilla and FOTRSU, FOTRSU is way better. Planes have been toned down, the enemy AI is not so superhuman as they seem in the vanilla game. Form your own opinion, give it a try and see what you think, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:46 PM   #3
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I can give you a totally biased opinion on FOTRSU. First, let me say that FOTRSU is a work in progress, things are constantly being improved. In my humble opinion there is no comparison between the vanilla and FOTRSU, FOTRSU is way better. Planes have been toned down, the enemy AI is not so superhuman as they seem in the vanilla game. Form your own opinion, give it a try and see what you think, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
You’re one of the builders of the mod correct? Thought I saw your name somewhere? I used to play the RFB mod with RSRD campaign. When I played the vanilla game, I knew I had to quickly get a mod.

Game looks good! Can you provide some thoughts on my Pscope being spotted in rough seas at night comment? Thanks.
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:55 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitednate View Post
You’re one of the builders of the mod correct? Thought I saw your name somewhere? I used to play the RFB mod with RSRD campaign. When I played the vanilla game, I knew I had to quickly get a mod.

Game looks good! Can you provide some thoughts on my Pscope being spotted in rough seas at night comment? Thanks.

Well lets just say I make a contribution once in awhile and leave it at that.

The only thing I can thing of that might reveal your periscope in rough seas is that maybe in some of the deeper troughs the top of your super structure is being spotted also. I have had it happen to me numerous times and probably will again. It happens what can I say.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 08:00 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Let's be clear.....

There's a HUGE difference between FOTRS (Fall of the Rising Sun) and Fotrs "Ultimate". Suitednate, you've asked about FOTRS, so I'm assuming that's exactly the mod you're referring to.

Actually there's little comparison between the two. FOTRS was the basic model for "Ultimate", but it's been left well behind in shear number of ship models; how they look and perform; and general game play. FOTRS needed more than just a cosmetic "face lift", and the overhaul is what's in "Ultimate".

I can't speak for FOTRS...….but I will for "Ultimate". It should perform much better than FOTRS. If not, there's an "active team" that's working on it to make it better, where few other mods can say they can do the same.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-18, 06:46 AM   #6
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367
Default about gameplay options

Hi guys
I have installed fotrs v 1.2 and always before load a save go to options and untick ex dud torps, sensors, O2 etc. After loading the game and during mission i got dud torps and problem with O2, CO2 and when am on surfice

no one of the crew its on the bridge and they sleeping

Any ideas?

Mod list
FalloftherisingSun_V1.2_SH4V1.5=1
AIZuikaku=2
Super Guns v1.0=3
Torpedo Graphics for TMO+RFB=4
Webster's Improved US Torpedo v3=5
DD skin corection=6
Webster's Better Air Patrols=7
Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v2=8
Webster's Better Sub Marker=9

cheers

nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-18, 08:42 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have no clue as to the compatibility of your mod list, but generally speaking to your symptoms, the O2 not restoring and / or CO2 build-up and other strange nigglies come from "shelling out" to the Windows desktop, generally <Alt><Tab>, but <Ctrl><Tab> and the Windows key will all do similar. The SH series of games are from the single-threaded WinXP days (and previous), and 'expect' exclusive use of the computer. When you "shell out", the game loses its place and starts writing and using bad data. To fix that, Save the game, exit the game to Windows, take a deep breath, exhale slowly (that's what my doctor tells me... ), re-open the game, and then Load your last Save. Another thing to keep in mind about Saves is that the game doesn't like 'mixed' Saves, where if you were playing the game with a certain list of mods, you Save & exit, then change the mod list by activating more, or deactivating some, and now the game is different. The Save may run, but it is basically corrupt, as far as the new game set-up is concerned, and will cause issues as you describe above also...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-18, 04:14 PM   #8
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
The only thing I can thing of that might reveal your periscope in rough seas is that maybe in some of the deeper troughs the top of your super structure is being spotted also. I have had it happen to me numerous times and probably will again. It happens what can I say.

Yep Exactly.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-18, 06:22 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have no clue as to the compatibility of your mod list, but generally speaking to your symptoms, the O2 not restoring and / or CO2 build-up and other strange nigglies come from "shelling out" to the Windows desktop, generally <Alt><Tab>, but <Ctrl><Tab> and the Windows key will all do similar. The SH series of games are from the single-threaded WinXP days (and previous), and 'expect' exclusive use of the computer. When you "shell out", the game loses its place and starts writing and using bad data. To fix that, Save the game, exit the game to Windows, take a deep breath, exhale slowly (that's what my doctor tells me... ), re-open the game, and then Load your last Save. Another thing to keep in mind about Saves is that the game doesn't like 'mixed' Saves, where if you were playing the game with a certain list of mods, you Save & exit, then change the mod list by activating more, or deactivating some, and now the game is different. The Save may run, but it is basically corrupt, as far as the new game set-up is concerned, and will cause issues as you describe above also...
do what the bean-man says.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-18, 09:24 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I missed it then mark, but one of nik's questions was about changing the dud torpedoes and then going out and having duds... same thing as merc with the Options menu, and the Captain's Office radio being two settings menus...

As for the scope being seen in v0.71, CapnScurvy has done more work and twenty-three times as much testing as modding, trying to get visuals to function as desired. Ain't happening. They've been tweaked, so they shouldn't "see" you as easily in v0.71 (at night, from 5200 ft at PD), but you deff don't wanna leave the scope up at all, else you'll get a torp shot at ya also, and as cdrsubron7 mentions, them waves expose quite a bit of shear sometimes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote