SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-19, 05:46 PM   #1
glilley
Loader

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0
Default Another Win10Pro, No-DVD, CTD Question

I know I saw a thread talking about a Win10 CTD after what was a good load but I can't seem to find it so here goes:

- I've go a new Dell Inspiron 3670 with Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.8GHz, 12GB installed RAM

- Display adapter NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 with most recent drivers (3/15/19)

This PC is new and has never had SH3 installed on it until now

Closed all running apps and stopped AV

Loaded SH3 from DVD (ver 1.0 with Starforce) to D: as admin and the install created SilentHunterIII dir (d:\SilentHunterIII). Canceled GameShadow and did not register. Good

Next, installed silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_us.exe to patch to 1.4. Good

Ran Starforce removal tool (sfdrvrem.exe) on both D: and C: and the tool did not any protection drivers to remove - odd. I know this tool works because I used it on my XP SP3 box yesterday to set up a no-DVD install and it worked fine. Guess this is good.

Next, unzipped rld-sh14.rar and replaced all five original files in D:\SilentHunterIII with the unzipped ones. Same ones that work fine in my XP box. Good

Rebooted PC and right clicked sh3.exe, properties/compatibilty and selected compat. mode for Win7 and selected to run program as admin.

Launched game, got through the Ubisoft and sh3 intro movies (esc from them to move on) and completed the silent hunter load screen with the red progress bar at bottom. Screen then goes black for 3-4 seconds then I am back at the desktop. I even tried setting compat at WinXP SP2 & 3 with no luck.

My event log for Windows/Application shows Exception code: 0xc0000005, Faulting module path: D:\SilentHunterIII\Sound.act.

Am I just holding my mouth wrong? Any help would be appreciated!
glilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-19, 11:52 AM   #2
glilley
Loader

Default Update

Weird - Several times I started sh3.exe and clicked on the Ubisoft splash video and the sh3 video right after that so I could get to the sh3 load screen and it kept on CTD. However, just now I clicked on the Ubisoft vid to move on and then I just let the sh3 video run almost all the way and clicked on it, the load screen came up, progress bar ran and "viola!", I at the main menu! Closed down and did it again, this time clicking right away on both into vids and it loads fine now. To best of my knowledge, haven't changed anything since yesterday except my underwear.
Old 03-30-19, 04:10 PM   #3
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Judging by the behaviour I would guess memory problem. It would also explain the apparent randomness (unless it's related to your underwear choice).

You might want to install the 4GB patch to make sure the game has enough memory.
Old 03-30-19, 06:06 PM   #4
glilley
Loader

Default Update 2

Well, think I found the long pole in the tent, although it too is weird. Fired the game up latter for a 3rd time and it CTD after the red bar finished loading. Had an epiphany and plugged my headphones back into the audio port and now it loads!! Thinking back to when it started working I remember plugging headphones in during the sh3 intro movie and it loaded after that. Just tried it with and without headphones in and only when headphones are plugged into audio port does the game run. In Device Manager I let the system look for latest Geforce GT 730 drivers and I have them already.