SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-10, 06:56 PM   #31
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfly View Post
Thanks for your work for trying making things nicer, but i have some problems using this mod...

...allready deleted the lights and interrior filter cfg files, but wont help.

...it seams to me my grafics card couldnt handle your new texture sizes, some of them are much much bigger as the original ones (ATI with 512MB).

I might renembering that the dev`s had sirious problems matching the games given requirements regarding a maximum video memory of 512mb, maybe its only a issue on my side.

Say would it be possible to have an optional version including original texture sizes, compression and format, whitch are inside the game given requirements ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
I am very sorry that you are having this problem. If you already deleted the lights.cfg from the mod, I have no idea what could be causing it other than your graphics card not liking the textures. I am afraid that I cannot put them back into the original compression, as compression tends to distort them, in other words all the hard work I did cleaning things up would go to waste if I compressed them. You could do me a big favor though. First, please run my mod without any others to make sure that it is mine causing the problem. And, then delete the textures one at a time until this effect stops happening. I might be able to modify one texture enough to stop it, but all of them would be way too much work. Thanks for the feedback.
installed latest ati drivers, played with ati driver settings, played with ingame gamma correction, re installed W-Clear`s inviroment mod 2.0 +2.5 (i had the same problems with it), all light and filter cfg`s enabled.

...dont ask me what it was, problem is gone !

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:02 PM   #32
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfly View Post
installed latest ati drivers, played with ati driver settings, played with ingame gamma correction, re installed W-Clear`s inviroment mod 2.0 +2.5 (i had the same problems with it), all light and filter cfg`s enabled.

...dont ask me what it was, problem is gone !
I am glad to hear that you got it to work! I have been thinking all day about what it could have been in my mod that might have caused that, and I was coming up blank. Anyway, now that you have it working, what do you think? I am looking for suggestions/opinions to help me decide where to go from here.

On a side note everybody, I already have a pretty decent update in the works. So far it includes another round of overhauled gauges and better/more realistic diamond plate floors, and I have been talking with some people about improving the shadows in game.......

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!

Last edited by SteelViking; 06-23-10 at 10:14 PM.
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 09:43 PM   #33
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
I am glad to hear that you got it to work! I have been thinking all day about what it could have been in my mod that might have caused that, and I was coming up blank. Anyway, now that you have it working, what do you think? I am looking for suggestions/opinions to help me decide where to go from here.

On a side note everybody, I already have a pretty decent update in the works. So far it includes another round of overhauled gauges and better/more realistic diamond plated floors, and I have been talking with some people about improving the shadows in game.......
well, some capacity gauges still show "mA" instead of "Ah", another focus could be false reading labels... for example the e-engines, those who are not in multiple use (TDC) could be corrected ("Gegnerfahrt", "Zielrichtung").

Another idea could be a special filter reducing candy colors together with additional dirt texture layers for a more realistic "used" apereance, if i look for example on the creamy floor (i`ve disabled it) it look a bit like a new nice fluffy carpet floor... but its only my impression, had the same problems with SH4, and most enviroment mods... all this candy colors looked like, the candy man first-hand was involved in it

...meantime i help me with reducing colors of my display device.

Old 06-23-10, 10:46 PM   #34
SteelViking
The Old Man

Thanks for the ideas Stormfly. I have already redone all electrical gauges showing mA to show Ah, they will be included in the next version of the mod. As far as gauge labels go, the problem is that they are all shared with the TDC or other accurately labeled things, so if I change the electrical gauges, I also change the TDC and everything else I suppose I could take a look at it in Goblin, or ask BIGREG to look at it, and see if we can change the texture assignments on them. With enough work and enough time, it can probably be sorted out

Old 06-24-10, 05:18 AM   #35
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Very nice work! The fact the dial are working is great then to make them easier to read and look more realistic is fantastic.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 01:02 PM   #36
senjorlossi
Seaman

Downloads: 49

Great stuff, guys!

Any chance to change the stupid markings ("Gegnerfahrt" etc.) on all kind of interior all across the boat? UBI simply took all the markings from the TDC and used them to decorate all kind of stuff.
Old 06-24-10, 01:17 PM   #37
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjorlossi View Post
Great stuff, guys!

Any chance to change the stupid markings ("Gegnerfahrt" etc.) on all kind of interior all across the boat? UBI simply took all the markings from the TDC and used them to decorate all kind of stuff.
Post #34 explains what is going on there.

Old 06-25-10, 01:29 PM   #38
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Is this mod compatible with the newest Environmental Mod v2.5?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 02:44 PM   #39
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
Is this mod compatible with the newest Environmental Mod v2.5?
Yes, JSGME will throw a conflict, but just install mine after Env 2.5. I set my mod up so that you will lose none of the environmental effects.

Old 06-25-10, 03:41 PM   #40
SteelViking
The Old Man

Ok, for the next version of this mod, I am aiming for a little darker/dirtier/more used looking as requested by most posters on this thread. However, now I need some people's honest opinions.

I basically have the interior how I would want it to look(still working on roughing/scratching the floors right now). Here it is:

What does everyone else think. Should it be brighter, darker, wall color, floor color(keeping in mind that I have not really added scratches/rust to it yet)etc. Please, all opinions are welcome as I can't really decide how I like it best.

On a more technical note. I am touching up almost all of the ocular occlusion maps throughout the interior of the sub, as the stock maps tended to cause pixelation. It is a lot of work, but I really think it will be worth it. And, I am trying to add bump maps to some textures around the sub to make them appear 3d(small example= soup in bowl).

Old 06-25-10, 04:46 PM   #41
TheBeast
The Old Man

I really like how it looks!

Hope you can make a dirty version that matches this skin I made.

That would be so funny...

Old 06-25-10, 05:12 PM   #42
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I would imagine that there would have been a lot of spare time keeping the boat clean . This is the kriegsmarine after all . I think a dirty sub would be unrealistic . What needs to be done that is not part of this mod is 3D stuff added .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 06:50 PM   #43
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
I would imagine that there would have been a lot of spare time keeping the boat clean . This is the kriegsmarine after all . I think a dirty sub would be unrealistic . What needs to be done that is not part of this mod is 3D stuff added .
I pretty much agree with you sober, that is why I released version 1.0 the way it was(bright and clean). But, I fired the game up with no mods to look at it, and I realized how shockingly dark and dirty it looked in comparison. So, between that and some comments made, I decided to try to strike a balance(not totally clean and new looking, but not totally dirty, worn, and dark). I would like to think that is what I have accomplished now.

Anyway, what 3d stuff are you talking about, just the bump maps I mentioned? Or are you referring to 3d modeling changes inside?

Old 06-25-10, 07:10 PM   #44
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
and i would imagine the other thing... what do you thing was the first act on a allied ship after capturing a german u-boat crew ?

...right the first act was cleaning them with the hose pipe, because they was often so dirty, nobody could take the niff, so if the crew for itself wasnt able to do it, why should it be possible for the boat ?

...also for the navy, german sub`s had a special nickname: "skunk"

Old 06-25-10, 07:34 PM   #45
TheBeast
The Old Man

I have a suggestion you may like. If you use mouse over tool tips on the gauges there would be no need to relable the guages and it can be localized for various languages that way.