SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-18, 10:49 AM   #1
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3
Default Suggestion: Game clock

Would be nice to have a clock in the game showing the time of the day and total mission time.

lb
Old 01-05-18, 01:20 PM   #2
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

I'll second this.

This became a big issue in a modded-in single mission - The Hunt for Red October - but in general, what I'm about to say applies to any situation where you're hunting a quiet sub.

I was attempting to follow a search pattern, carefully lay out how far October could've gone since I'd lost got a sonar bearing to get a circle for the furthest she could've gotten in that time, but it's nigh unto impossible to know without knowing the time.

Just one example of the many ways it could be extremely useful to know how long it's been since you last had contact.

Especially with weapons - to calculate how far along your harpoons are, or how long that darn air-dropped torpedo has been running that you're trying to evade.

This could all work with a real life timer, were it not for the fact that I don't want to spend 5 hours of uncompressed time doing a search pattern...
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:30 PM   #3
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

Actually way points to set a course would be nice. Maybe a little less interactive, but also less busy, so time to get ready. I'd asked for a timer in addition to a clock in combat. How far did space those torps? An that's how many yards? So I've got almost a minute and a half left?

There is a clock on the campaign map. I suppose using the 'H' heading marker to check distances is OK, but drawing tools (circle, point, line) would help for guessing course work when making rash decisions. Like abandoning the way points.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:32 PM   #4
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
Actually way points to set a course would be nice. Maybe a little less interactive, but also less busy, so time to get ready. I'd asked for a timer in addition to a clock in combat. How far did space those torps? An that's how many yards? So I've got almost a minute and a half left?

There is a clock on the campaign map. I suppose using the 'H' heading marker to check distances is OK, but drawing tools (circle, point, line) would help for guessing course work when making rash decisions. Like abandoning the way points.
I was actually thinking of going and making a post about drawing tools on the map.

And not having the grid be relative. That's really annoying, actually, since it really destroys your sense of absolute location. The history trail is nice, but it only goes so far.
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:38 PM   #5
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

yes, my bosun needs a grease pencil, a ruler and a stopwatch. That would be really handy in game
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 03:50 AM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt View Post
yes, my bosun needs a grease pencil, a ruler and a stopwatch. That would be really handy in game
What's a bosun doing on a submarine? They're not smart enough.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 06:23 PM   #7
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

sorry, miss typed, I meant Quartermaster
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 07:59 PM   #8
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Sometimes I get a mission that has some travel to be done. I get side-tracked with something in the way. I can engage or quietly withdraw, but I don't know what my time availability is.

Life has not been that difficult, but the idea of a "tasking to engagement" clock would be helpful. Among many things, managing Time and Space is a Commander's concern.

I see the issue and it would produce better mission results. I hope it gets passed to the CNO. As far as mechanics, I look to my Q-Master/OOD to let me know what is an early time is to be in the "possible" target area.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote