SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-16, 08:13 AM   #1501
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
... From what I've read in several post war studies from both the U.S. Navy and Air force, we gave the Japanese way too much credit for having electronic advancements such as we had. Actually the ASW from them was non existent for most of the war. I'm not wanting to get into the specifics now, but the way the Japanese ran their wartime shipping (or protection of same) was nothing like what occurred in the Atlantic. Freighter's seldom ran in convoys of more than a couple of ships, hardly ever having protection. The Japanese Army (always at odds with their Navy) many times controlled specific areas of the Pacific, it was from these separate commanders that would decide whether they wished to provide any support at all for the merchant fleet. Frankly, the Japanese in all their bluster ran quite a different war then the Germans.
(btw, most of my "reports" are very tongue-in-cheek [tic], with a smile on my face)
So my feelings of there being just a 'wee pinch too many' ASW groups beyond the perimeter of a harbor are not off-base? - I'm trying to figure out where the excess is coming from, and why I'm not encountering very many merchants comparatively. I haven't had a chance to try without the AI 1-5 settings yet, because I thought I'd see what kind of mission I got when I got to Area 6, so max-peck's changes could be documented by my first try... not to be, I just came from getting sunk by another ASW group, with 2 dd, 2 de and 3 or 4 patrol craft... Too many to count. I was surrounded before I knew what I'd encountered. Almost like I'd wandered in between 2 or 3 ASW groups... Either that, or it was the leading edge of a HUGE invasion fleet enroute to Rabaul, but I didn't stay alive long enough to see it... - btw, the weather seems to have been stuck on a medium fog, visibility at about 1500-1800 yards, which is how I got caught. For some reason, no sonar contacts until they were practically on top of me, almost like everyone was sitting around waiting on me to wander into their alley...

I gotta run to the hardware store and won't be able to do much of anything until I take a break from "work" in about an hour or so...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-23-16 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added the Capn's quote - turned the page...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 08:51 AM   #1502
propbeanie

Say, I have another question about AI (very "artificial")... during my last encounter, I did manage to get off all 10 tubes to various points on the compass as I dove, and managed like 6 out of 10 hits - couldn't hardly miss at such close range. Definitely too close of a range, and I had four of 6 as "duds", but that's to be expected being in so close. However, if I'm a DD skipper, and I've got two fish that have punched holes in my side, I don't think I'd hang around and participate in the "hunt", especially with quite so much relish and vigor, worrying that I might accidentally detonate the explosive devices in the hull below the water line. I know the one DD had two of them in him, and least one on the others had one too, just don't know if it was a DD or a DE. One of the others had one in it, but it went down anyway because of a detonation in his mid-ship section... I have no idea how many, if any, others went with me, since I 'died' too quickly... - but I do know that the one with two duds stuck in his side participated in the depth charging, 'cause I watched his sonar trail from the chart screen. Didn't seem to be any worry in the world for him... Looked like a wagon wheel on top of me. - but only for about 15-20 minutes... my how time flies when you're having fun

Old 08-23-16, 10:40 AM   #1503
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
cdrsubron7, the ship looks good. Are you just trying to get another combatant target onto the Japanese side? Perhaps it doesn't want to be traded?...

That's my intention. I want to use a Sub Tender in a few of my missions.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 10:44 AM   #1504
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
cdrsubron7, the sub tender is still reading itself as an American ship placed in the American "Sea" folder of the Roster. That's the only other reason for it not to show as a Japanese ship (IF you've done everything else right). Did you change the UnitClass name of the Jap sub tender (in the two .cfg files) from the one the stock game uses? You have to have a separate name for the game to know the difference between an American sided ship and the Japanese one (besides just putting the right files in the right place).

Changing a ship from a cargo to a tanker, or a dive bomber plane into a torpedo bomber is done in the .cfg file too (although there is some things you have to do in the plane .sim file). The proper "number" designates such.....which comes from the Names.cfg file.

That's the missing part. I'll have to play with it tonight and see if I can effect a change that will work. The sub tender is still named AS Sub Tender in all three of the cfg files. Thanks for the tips, Capn.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-23-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 10:48 AM   #1505
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
(btw, most of my "reports" are very tongue-in-cheek [tic], with a smile on my face)
So my feelings of there being just a 'wee pinch too many' ASW groups beyond the perimeter of a harbor are not off-base? - I'm trying to figure out where the excess is coming from, and why I'm not encountering very many merchants comparatively. I haven't had a chance to try without the AI 1-5 settings yet, because I thought I'd see what kind of mission I got when I got to Area 6, so max-peck's changes could be documented by my first try... not to be, I just came from getting sunk by another ASW group, with 2 dd, 2 de and 3 or 4 patrol craft... Too many to count. I was surrounded before I knew what I'd encountered. Almost like I'd wandered in between 2 or 3 ASW groups... Either that, or it was the leading edge of a HUGE invasion fleet enroute to Rabaul, but I didn't stay alive long enough to see it... - btw, the weather seems to have been stuck on a medium fog, visibility at about 1500-1800 yards, which is how I got caught. For some reason, no sonar contacts until they were practically on top of me, almost like everyone was sitting around waiting on me to wander into their alley...

I gotta run to the hardware store and won't be able to do much of anything until I take a break from "work" in about an hour or so...
If you go in and look at the Campaign files there are separate files called Jap Hunter Killer. I think there are separate files for each year of the war.

Old 08-23-16, 10:54 AM   #1506
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Say, I have another question about AI (very "artificial")... during my last encounter, I did manage to get off all 10 tubes to various points on the compass as I dove, and managed like 6 out of 10 hits - couldn't hardly miss at such close range. Definitely too close of a range, and I had four of 6 as "duds", but that's to be expected being in so close. However, if I'm a DD skipper, and I've got two fish that have punched holes in my side, I don't think I'd hang around and participate in the "hunt", especially with quite so much relish and vigor, worrying that I might accidentally detonate the explosive devices in the hull below the water line. I know the one DD had two of them in him, and least one on the others had one too, just don't know if it was a DD or a DE. One of the others had one in it, but it went down anyway because of a detonation in his mid-ship section... I have no idea how many, if any, others went with me, since I 'died' too quickly... - but I do know that the one with two duds stuck in his side participated in the depth charging, 'cause I watched his sonar trail from the chart screen. Didn't seem to be any worry in the world for him... Looked like a wagon wheel on top of me. - but only for about 15-20 minutes... my how time flies when you're having fun

I think the thing we have to remember is SH4 is a simulation and not real life. No Japanese DD with two torpedoes in it will do anything but sink in real life. In SH4 they keep coming after you because that's what they're programed to do. Just like that Aussie freighter in the screenshots I posted earlier. It was traveling backwards and firing at the two Japanese merchants, that wouldn't be happing in real life. SH4 is a game, sometimes I forget that.

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-23-16 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-23-16, 10:59 AM   #1507
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Good stuff guys. Looking forward to playing the game with a fresh twist!
Old 08-23-16, 11:41 AM   #1508
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Good stuff guys. Looking forward to playing the game with a fresh twist!
Good to see you AVG! We could set you up as a Beta tester......victim......subject to mod abuse! Would you like to give it a go?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 12:53 PM   #1509
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Good to see you AVG! We could set you up as a Beta tester......victim......subject to mod abuse! Would you like to give it a go?
It is a "blast" man - literally...

Old 08-23-16, 02:31 PM   #1510
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well I have a MAJOR complaint. The sonar is so predominate over the radar that I'm 7 miles away from a line of BBs and all I can get are sonar spikes and darned sonar reports. I can't get a radar pip. I can't plot positions. I can't time distances. I get a flash of radar for less than half a second every couple of minutes or so.

There's no doubt that at this range on BBs I should get solid reliable returns. I was getting sonar reports at 15 miles while running on the surface at 10 knots! The balance between sensors is all crazy and it absolutely ruins gameplay. If you have radar you should be able to see the enemy, plot their positions, plot distances over three minutes......none of this is remotely possible.

Color me very unhappy. It would make me quit playing a mod.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 03:22 PM   #1511
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Well I have a MAJOR complaint. The sonar is so predominate over the radar that I'm 7 miles away from a line of BBs and all I can get are sonar spikes and darned sonar reports. I can't get a radar pip. I can't plot positions. I can't time distances. I get a flash of radar for less than half a second every couple of minutes or so.

There's no doubt that at this range on BBs I should get solid reliable returns. I was getting sonar reports at 15 miles while running on the surface at 10 knots! The balance between sensors is all crazy and it absolutely ruins gameplay. If you have radar you should be able to see the enemy, plot their positions, plot distances over three minutes......none of this is remotely possible.

Color me very unhappy. It would make me quit playing a mod.

TMO always seemed to have a good balance between the radar and sonar detection distances, is it possible to incorporate those into FOTRSU?

Old 08-23-16, 03:37 PM   #1512
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
I appreciate the offer but have a lot on my plate. When winter starts to set in I will have time for SH4.
Old 08-23-16, 03:48 PM   #1513
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
That's fine, I saw the ship s7rikeback had posted (about the tanker sitting in/on land), but I couldn't repost his image. So, I used your's. The reason behind the anomaly can still be what I pointed out. Either the ships placement is off, or the ships spawn radius is enabled in the mission file he was playing. Mod soup could be the reason, but it usually has you quickly returning to desktop when it flares up.
CapnScurvy,

No MOD soup was involved with this beached vessel, and yes I went full circle around the harbour and it was just sitting there in the field having a picnic...

I not been able to replicate it since those first issues - could be a spawning issue perhaps? During these encounters I noticed that the Big Old Tanker that normally passes my berth area was nowhere in sight.

Regards,
s7rikeback.
Old 08-23-16, 04:09 PM   #1514
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
TMO always seemed to have a good balance between the radar and sonar detection distances, is it possible to incorporate those into FOTRSU?
Yeah - but which TMO?
That is the question

At the moment our version of FOTRSU is built upon TMO 1.7
Which personally I think is before Ducimus hit the 'sweet spot' between the radar and sonar detection distances
But that is just my own personal preference

I have also played TMO 2.0

And TMO 2.5

Personally I am happy with TMO 2.5 sensor values
BUT - I am quite happy to admit this is probably because I have played 2.5 so long that I have gotten used to it.
Another player may not like the 2.5 sensor values

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 04:19 PM   #1515
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

TLDR

FOTRS is based on a version of TMO (1.7) before Ducimus figured out the sensors in relation to the environment

We should expect anomalies like this - unless they can be fixed

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote