Old 06-02-06, 08:22 AM   #121
Neptunus Rex
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
What was that all about?
Since when does anything on these boards have to be "about"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
Time for a drink of Tea.
No tea. Coffee.

"In the spirit of reaching across the aisle, we owe it to the Democrats to show their president the exact same kind of respect and loyalty that they have shown our recent Republican president." A.C. 11-5-08
Neptunus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 10:50 AM   #122
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunus Rex
Since when does anything on these boards have to be "about"?
Well you could had made it more funny?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 02:46 PM   #123
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Probably since its early days. So long that I can't remember. Took me a while to register though. I registered shortly after purchasing the 1024 mod for Silent Hunter 2

-S
Old 06-02-06, 10:02 PM   #124
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeck
I didnt even realized I posted right after Torplexed!!! LOOOOOLL!!

Hey Torp...once again enginious drawings with that great humor!
Do you have a website with all of your WPL/SUBSIM toons?
Hey McBeck! No. Not enhough space...it was Thomas who was the Keeper of Torpy Toons on his old site. But, I don't he has them up anymore either.

Hmmm. Whatever became of Thomas...Nemesis...Vickers...Tristan VanPutten? I'm starting to feel like some old veteran trying to find his war buddies.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 12:48 AM   #125
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Great work, Torpy

That reminds me, your custom rank has been restored (it was a manual process )

Thanks!
Neal
Old 06-03-06, 09:55 AM   #126
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Thanks Neal! You've been so darn busy will the VBulletin refit that I put off asking.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Old 06-03-06, 10:22 AM   #127
Sharkstooth
Red Shoe Queen

oi!!

I still have your tshirt Torplexed (from the holland meeting)....just need an addy to send it to.

nothin like being right on top of things, eh?
Sharkstooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 11:16 AM   #128
Abraham
Eternal Patrol

Default Roll Call: How long have you been a Subsim reader? Reply to Thread

How did I learn about Subsim?
After playing Silent Service II and Silent Hunter I was very interested in Gato's and wanted to check RC models (32rd Paralell to be exactly), I found subsim.com and used it as a reference. Must have been in 1999 or 2000. After a while I started to check the news section, since 2002 on an almost daily basis. Combined with a good memory that gave me a great data base of maritime information.
I followed the long and winding road to SH II on subsim.com and enjoyed the Vickers download and the Project Messerwetter.
Mind you, at that time I never posted, I was not a forum guy, just visited the site regulary.
Then I saw the announcement of SH III and followed the long and winding road to that game. I was impressed by the preview of Drebbel in the Fall of 2004 and decided to send that fellow Dutchy a compliment by e-mail. He responded graciously and asked me if I ever posted on the forum. "Nah, nothing for me," I replied But Drebbel didn't take 'Nah' for an answer and convinced me with the zeal of a Jehova Witness that the subsim forums were real fun. As an Old Year's resolution I joined the Syber Service on December 31st, 2004.
Guess what, within a month I found the forums irresistedly attractive... I was definitely hooked.
The rest of the story is Present.

Last edited by Abraham; 06-03-06 at 11:24 AM.
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 11:30 AM   #129
Khayman
Lieutenant

Downloads: 2

I found out about Subsim from the SH2 manual. I didn't join the forum, but I did download some mods. I remember I even contributed some money so I could download the mod that changed SH2 to US subs in the Pacific.

It was only after getting SH3 that I joined the forum. Even then I think I only posted a couple of times. It's only been in the last few months that I've posted more and tried to join in. I think that's because I wasn't completely sure about it at first, but I've found it's a friendly enough place...so far anyway.

One thing I would like to mention is the patience shown to newcomers who ask the same questions over and over again. I used to be one and I now try to show the same helpfulness and and respect that I received.
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 05:10 PM   #130
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

I was a regular poster at Subsim when I got a PM from Neal asking if I'd be interested in being part of a core group to plan and start a new site which became the WPL. That was (I think) about 8 months before the SHII release date which then got pushed back. I remember being the 4th or 5th poster at the WPL and the post was just a simple..."Reporting in"
We debated and voted on things like whether members should be automatically assigned to a Flotilla based on region, and that the 9th should be given to the German players, if we got enough of them to join. (We had no idea how big that place would get)

I lurked at Subsim for about a year before I joined....which was probably in 1999. I think I used RickC then but I can't remember. (I'm old)
The integrity of this place stood out like a beacon and the help you got from the people here wasn't just good, it often came from guys who had a naval history and that impressed me. The early names I remember were Bill Nichols and Hondo. I stumbled onto the place by searching the web for tech help.

Memories... Beta testing SHII - Destroyer Command multiplay with Neal, Old Man, Ddoutel (Duane), and some others. It was hard to go through the necessary business when you really wanted to cut loose on somebody. Somehow, some way, before we ended for the night Old Man (cwarrior0 to some) would find a way sink Neal's destroyer.

Getting to know Frank, Tak, Rich, Nos, ZZsteven and the rest of the Yahoo Crew.
Playing in a DD with Rich (Deerhunter UK) vs Sharky and after cease fire was called I drove my destroyer right up beside Rich's for a photo shoot. Sharky took the picture then sent an eel into my boilers.
Frank teaching me vertical TMA.

Yes, guys. I showed a longtime friend, Sharky, the WPL and this place and she joined soon after. All you potato peelers have me to blame.

Torplexed...you underestimate yourself. You're art is fantastic and you have a gift for capturing the personality of your subject matter. They are anything but just strange cartoons.

Bad... That 5 page list of rules for WPL multiplay. Neal wanted to keep the rules as short as possible, and that was as short as possible.
..The shortcomings of SHII.

RickC

Last edited by RickC Sniper; 06-03-06 at 05:26 PM.
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:21 PM   #131
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Thanks Rick!

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Old 06-04-06, 03:09 PM   #132
Wim Libaers
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 4

I don't remember. Before I registered for the forum, but I'm not sure how long.
Wim Libaers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 05:03 PM   #133
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I don't remember, exactly, how I found the forum. I think it was during a search on Yahoo. I first visited the site shortly after I got Jane's 688(i) Hunter-Killer in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure I found the patch through this site. It also seems to me, that when I would search for a patch for Command: Aces of the Deep, the search always lead me to this site. I guess I always hoped for a patch for that game... I don't think I visited the forums much during my early visits. When I finally started posting the forum was using phpBB in the, now a Subsim trademark, SmartDark. It is hard for me to visualize Subsim in any other color! Through the years I was able to remember the name of this site rather easily. I would check in now and then, namely when I was bored :p, to see if there was any new news posted. I think my first posts to the site was in the early days of Dangerous Waters. There was a contest going at the time for people to post to the forum set up. If I remember right, I think six winners would be randomly chosen. If they won, they got a signed copy of the game. After that I made a few posts to the forum. I, then, didn't post much. The people in the Dangerous waters forum knew so much about modern warfare, and still do, that I didn't think I had anything to contribute (and still do ). When Silent Hunter III was announced I made my way back to this forum. I remember when the big news was broke that the campaign would be changed to my dynamic. That was a happy day! One of the most fun times I can recall here at Subsim, was the Recon-Test. I would try and check in everyday to see what the intel photo was going to be. They were all pretty challenging and that is why it was so enjoyable. I have often thought of changing my screenname, but have just kept with it. Maybe if I come up with the right one sameday, I may consider it. I don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 04:12 AM   #134
Abraham
Eternal Patrol

Default Roll Call: How long have you been a Subsim reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
@TLAM Strike

Remember that for people using the Hazlazblue theme you text is totally unvisble. White text on a whitish background is not a good idea in these forums, just as it was not in the old forum.

Amen!
Old 06-05-06, 04:31 AM   #135
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Got back into Sub Command after a long hiatus and was searching the internet for mods, downloads, and patches. I saw an article that said Sonalysts was making a new game. I kept searching for stuff and found SCX and subsim. After being impressed with SCX and the highly anticipated DW I registered as a forum member. That was a little over 2 years ago. I'm a member of two other forums. One related to jobs in the aerospace industry, and another to dirt biking. I've trolled a few others. Subsim is by far the best one and often times, the most interesting one.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote