SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-18, 04:56 PM   #1
Hardigen
Sparky

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default No Snapshot

I am 22miles from position to take a snapshot of Osaka and game crashes , I have windows 7, mods in game :- Trigger Maru Overall 2.5 . 3000yard Bearing tool(1360x) .Bigger and better Protractors also extra Music which you add direct to the sound file/gramophone, Its never happened before on SH4 , does any skippers have any knowledge or things to check if the game goes AWOL , Any info will be appreciated , Hardigen
Hardigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:45 PM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardigen View Post
I am 22miles from position to take a snapshot of Osaka and game crashes , I have windows 7, mods in game :- Trigger Maru Overall 2.5 . 3000yard Bearing tool(1360x) .Bigger and better Protractors also extra Music which you add direct to the sound file/gramophone, Its never happened before on SH4 , does any skippers have any knowledge or things to check if the game goes AWOL , Any info will be appreciated , Hardigen
It's hard to read your black text with my Smart Dark Subsim forum theme - anyway if I highlight your text I can read it......

TMO 2.5
(you should have the TMO small Patch -1_TMO_25_small_patch - to avoid the Tambor bug in the future - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3506 ). Install with JSGME in Port, not on patrol.
The 3,000 yard bearing tool uses a lot more memory than Stock.

Do you have LAA installed? This will let your computer use all of its memory.
THEBERBSTER has more info here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

That's all I can think of that would cause your symptoms.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 03-10-18 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity to avoid confusion
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 03:51 PM   #3
Hardigen
Sparky

My Apologies Aanker and everyone for the error .Was tampering with the letters and must have touched summat, I have ,nt got the small patch also what does LAA mean ? If I install the patch will I lose the game ?.I do not have the 4 GB patch installed. Will also look what the Berbster can offer , for SH4 to go black is unusual for me ,Thanks for the help ,will get the small patch , Hardigen

Last edited by Hardigen; 03-07-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 04:04 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

LAA is Large Address Aware, which is a small utility program that allows you to set a bit to give a program access to more RAM on your computer. If you have 4 gig or more of RAM, and a 64-bit OS, you can use LAA and potentially have a better running game. CapnScurvy has a thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, full of info on it, and its use in Win10, but a good portion applies back to Vista 64-bit also. You shouldn't lose what you have thus far in the game with either it or the use of the patch.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 04:06 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Hardigan
The 4gb patch is only used with SH3.
SH4 uses LAA Large Address Aware.
You can find all about it in my SH4 tutorials.

You will need to be a lot closer before you can take a photograph.
With these type of missions IIRC you usually have to be in the harbor and it is usually a particular ship you have to photograph.
The camera icon will light up when you can take the photograph.
AFAIK it is the Observation scope that you use.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 05:18 PM   #6
Hardigen
Sparky

I,ve downloaded the TMO 2.5 small patch ,do you install it with JSGME ? I,d need a brilliant camera Peter, I was 22 miles away from the spot where you take the pic, when the game crashed . I suppose the Title that I put was misleading. Hardigen
Old 03-10-18, 06:27 PM   #7
propbeanie

Yes, JSGME. All the "patch" does is correct some sub assignments, and has nothing to do directly with the campaign.

Now, when you crashed, what were the circumstances? ie: "I played stock just fine, added TMO and reloaded and then 'BOOM!' - CTD", which would be a no-no, loading a Saved game from a previous version of the game. If you did that, it is discouraged, because it usually results in troubles for your game and Saved files...

Have you gotten LAA figured out and activated on the SH4.exe file? What were your orders when sent to Osaka? Were they like: "Intelligence has requested a update on the enemy presence in Osaka harbor. Recon the area and, if possible, infiltrate the anchorage and photograph any enemy ships encountered."? Do you remember the date when you went out? When you say 22 miles away, were you near, or even inside Bungo Suido, or maybe even up into the Inland Sea? Another thing about crashes, is that they may not be directly related to your mission. It might have been some ship trying to spawn near to where you were that caused the issue.

Old 03-10-18, 09:25 PM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

The Small Patch for TMO prevents the Tambor bug - you could be in a Tambor class for the entire war, or you could be assigned a Tambor class from a Gato class when you should expect to be advanced to a Balao class.

There is nothing wrong with a Tambor class, USS Tuna is a famous Tambor class that fought in WW II. If you decide you want a Tambor class for the entire War, uninstall the Small Patch.

Ducimus made a nice Tambor class in TMO 2.5 as an option. He didn't expect TMO to assign Tambor class boats after a Gato class when people were playing a normal campaign:
A normal progression would be something like, Salmon/Sargo to a Tambor class, to a Gato class, to a Balao, for example.

Install the Small Patch in Port.

I'm going to hold my tongue and let you & propbeanie work on LAA, other than to say, saving so close to an objective with lots of action in the area (within 50 nm) can cause a CTD without LAA installed. Had you saved 100 nm away it probably wouldn't have crashed.... if computer memory was the reason.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by aanker; 03-14-18 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 05:19 PM   #9
Hardigen
Sparky

Thanks for info guys , This is not a saved game prior to installing TMO ,also started new career when installed , yes propbeanie its an Intell update to photo any ship in Osaka . Did,nt save after 100 nm Aanker more like 40 nm ( shallow water , Subchasers and Destroyers in vicinity, ) saved just before going through the bottle neck to get into the wider part leading to Osaka,was in wider part when it crashed , I,ve read Capnscurvys LAA , I must be honest with you its got me baffled. Anyhow where do I get that an is it easy to install? Hardigen
Old 03-12-18, 11:52 AM   #10
propbeanie

Actually, we probably should have first asked you which game you have (Steam, Amazon, Disk, etc.), and where you installed it... You don't want to be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." since that can cause similar issues... All the DDS image files load fine, and it will look like you've got TMO activated, but it's really not fully functional, since Windows undid half of what JSGME did... Let us know about that, especially where the game is installed...

Old 03-13-18, 06:43 PM   #11
Hardigen
Sparky

OOps It,s in Program x86 files ,also SH3 ,so that will make a difference ugh! So if I move them into another file will I lose the saved game ? SH4 is on a Disc. Also this LAA you,ve got to have windows 10 have,nt you ,I,m still running with windows 7.
Old 03-13-18, 07:34 PM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardigen View Post
OOps It,s in Program x86 files ,also SH3 ,so that will make a difference ugh! So if I move them into another file will I lose the saved game ? SH4 is on a Disc. Also this LAA you,ve got to have windows 10 have,nt you ,I,m still running with windows 7.
I use LAA and I have Windows 7, 64 bit. So do many other people.

Is your SH4 disk SH4 Gold v1.5 the U-Boat Missions or SH4 v1.0 with U-Boat Missions as an add on?

We'll let propbeanie work with you but this info will help him.

Take care Buddy

Old 03-13-18, 08:00 PM   #13
propbeanie

LAA will work with any 64-bit version of Windows with four or more gig of RAM, including Windows 7.

However, the main problem is the installation folder. Go ahead and use JSGME and disable any and all mods you have activated. Then, since you have the disk version, the easiest thing to do is use Windows Explorer ("Computer" on the "Start" menu), and go the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder and select the "Ubisoft\..." folder with a left mouse button click. Press and hold the <Ctrl> key, and while holding it, press the <C> key. That will copy the Ubisoft folder. Now go up to the "C:\" drive (the 'root'). While holding the <Ctrl> key again, press the <V> key, which will "Paste" the Ubisoft folder to the C:\ drive. You will then end up with "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\..." Now, if you're uncomfortable with this, go ahead and uninstall the game, and then re-install it in a folder that you name. Do NOT put it in the "root" of the drive... Your "Save" folder is usually not affected by a re-install, unless you tell the installer app to delete it. If you want to be sure, copy the "SH4" folder in "My Documents", and paste it somewhere else for "just-in-case"...

Windows already has all the dll stuff it needs to run the game, no matter where it resides, so if you have a 2nd hard drive, and want the game there, paste it to the other drive. Your choice. If you have enough disk space, just leave the original install, but use the new copy for your mods. In fact, if you want to, you can rename that Ubisoft folder something else, and paste another copy of the game folder, if you want to do multiple mods at the same time, and then use MultiSH4 (but I'm getting distracted - sorry)...

Your original shortcut won't work for your new installation, but if you keep the original install for "Stock" game play, keep it. Just create your own new shortcut for the new copy of the game. Right-click on a blank place of your desktop, which will bring up a context menu. Left-click or hover on "New >", which will open another menu. Left-click on "> Shortcut". That will bring up a dialog box. Click on the "Browse" button, and navigate to where you pasted the Ubisoft folder ("Computer", (C:\)", "Ubisoft", "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", if you did like above). In that folder, click on the "sh4.exe" file and "OK" it. That will "populate" the item location box. If you don't have file extensions visible, you might only see "sh" and another "sh". The 2nd one is the icon file, so choose the first one. Once you have that item location box filled, click on "Next", and name the shortcut what you want. I name mine after the mod I'm using, which in your case would be TMO. If I add Run Silent Run Deep Campaign to mine, I name it RSRDC - but it's your choice. Name it what you want. You should now have an SH4 submarine on your desktop for starting the game. If you want one on the Start Menu itself, let me know. That's easy enough also...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-13-18 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wow... typo typo
Old 03-17-18, 05:49 PM   #14
Hardigen
Sparky

Thanks Prop and Aanker for the advice,I will try the first method you explained . BUT there is already a ubisoft folder in the C drive with SH5 inside ,usually when you put a folder of the same name somewhere the computer asks whether you want to replace it with the one you,re putting in . Is it possible to rename the ubisoft folder with SH4 in before you copy and paste it ? Otherwise I might lose SH5 The Disc is the gold edition,and on the back says WOLVES OF THE PACIFIC AND U-BOAT EXPANSION MISSIONS but I can,t find v1,5 on the disc ,Also if I copy and paste SH4 into the C (root ) whats to stop the computer from playing the SH4 game in the Program (x86) folder ? I will also download LAA my OS is 64 bit , And I,ll be reading Capnscurvy again and try and get my Nut to understand it , I will drink to your health Hardigen
Old 03-17-18, 06:35 PM   #15
propbeanie

So SH5 is residing in C:\Ubisoft? Interesting. I do not have a disk version of that. If SH5 is in its own folder, the way mine is, you could just copy and paste the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder into there. But "yes", you can rename the Ubisoft folder to something of your own choosing before you copy and paste it elsewhere. Once you make the copy of the game, rename your original folder back, and just leave the shortcuts you already have on the computer for it. That'll be your "Stock" gameplay. Creating new shortcuts for the copy is easy, as mentioned above. If you want a shortcut for Windows "Start" menu, give a shout. That's just a little more complex. The shortcut is what has the info for which folder the game starts up in. So when you installed the Stock game, the installation app created the shortcut that points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Ubisoft\ Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\SH4.exe". All you'll do is create a shortcut, and "point" it to the copy of the SH4.exe file in the new folder.

The Gold Edition has the Uboats, which is v1.5, and is the "latest-greatest" version. Take your time with figuring out LAA. While its simple, its something new for you. CapnScurvy has pictures in his thread, else I would have been lost...