SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Izgud
Watch
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default Problem identified in GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese v7 - Can we fix it?

Hi,

Credit to fitzcarraldo and Madox58 for discovering that the ship SMS Schleswig-Holstein introduced in "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships v7" may be the reason a lot of us use v6 instead. Viewing said ship in the museum yields floating turrets and all other sorts of corruptions, and a CTD occurs after attempting to scroll further down the country list (usually to Greece). I suspect this ship may also be causing the CTDs in campaigns. I'd like to have a discussion about what can be done to address this.

What Madox58 suggested years ago was to remove the ship entirely from the roster and sea folders. This fixes the CTD, but I am hesitant due to the unknown effects this might have on the game. I've taken a look through the campaign files in Notepad++ and see that the ship makes several specific appearances. Can anyone more experienced comment as to what might happen if the campaign files call for a ship that has been removed? Removing the entries from the campaign is out of my skill set as I've never used the mission editor or whatever might be used in this case.

My preferred method would be through actually fixing whatever is wrong with the ship. I have been and will continue looking through the ship's files but have relatively little experience in this area and haven't found anything suspect as of yet. Any help here would be great!

By the way, speaking of campaign files, I've noticed that the "merged campaigns" included in several mods such as v7, v6, and New Lorient v1.5 tend to feature significantly smaller files than the ones from the official GWX - Merged Campaign.

Campaign_RND.mis
-------
10,039 KB -- GWX - Merged Campaign
9,611 KB -- v6 Merged Campaign
8,575 KB -- v7
8,575 KB -- New Lorient plus v6 Merged Campaign
8,575 KB -- New Lorient plus v7 Merged Campaign
8,574 KB -- GWX non-merged

There is a similar pattern with the _SCR.mis files. Is there something actually missing here as the file sizes suggest or do I simply not understand how .mis files work?

Regards!
Izgud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
Izgud
Watch
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default

I believe I have fixed the problem with SMS Schleswig-Holstein here. The cause was identical IDs shared with a Greek warship. Thanks to s7rikeback for the help!

Unfortunately, it seems I'll be abandoning the mod anyway as I also took a look inside the mission editor and confirmed that the campaign files are indeed missing plenty of stuff from the 'GWX - Merged Campaign'.

EDIT: s7rikeback has just finished crafting a very thoroughly corrected version for us here!

Regards

Last edited by Izgud; 03-31-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: New link.
Izgud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
schlechter pfennig
XO
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 436
Downloads: 35
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izgud View Post
I believe I have fixed the problem with SMS Schleswig-Holstein here. The cause was identical IDs shared with a Greek warship. Thanks to s7rikeback for the help!

Unfortunately, it seems I'll be abandoning the mod anyway as I also took a look inside the mission editor and confirmed that the campaign files are indeed missing plenty of stuff from the 'GWX - Merged Campaign'.

EDIT: s7rikeback has just finished crafting a very thoroughly corrected version for us here!

Regards
When you say "identical IDs" what do you mean by that?
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Izgud
Watch
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
When you say "identical IDs" what do you mean by that?


The Averof and Schleswig-Holstein were both using 0x497c5b9a906b12ab, which meant one ship took everything (all sensors, weapons, masts, funnels, etc) and the other ship turned into CTD-causing nothingness.
Izgud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #5
J0313
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 670
Downloads: 1277
Uploads: 0
Default

I have looked at the files and the difference between the GWX merged and the others is the Indian ocean traffic and the black sea traffic have been culled from the files. I can live without that stuff.
J0313 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Hebe Vollmaus
Seaman
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 38
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1
Default

Quote:
Credit to fitzcarraldo and Madox58 for discovering that the ship SMS Schleswig-Holstein introduced in "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships v7" may be the reason a lot of us use v6 instead. Viewing said ship in the museum yields floating turrets and all other sorts of corruptions, and a CTD occurs after attempting to scroll further down the country list (usually to Greece). I suspect this ship may also be causing the CTDs in campaigns. I'd like to have a discussion about what can be done to address this.
This seems to be fixed now by given new iDs.
Quoted not all, only for my response...

I'm not using ...Naz,Schluese..v7 nor v6, but had also difficulties integrate the Schleswig-Holstein in my installation. The same corruptions in Museum. And, the Ship does nothing. No reaction, no sound, sitting there solid as a rock. The thing gets working then by cloning with Pack3D and Silent3ditor.

What i like to say: when problems occur on fast scrolling in the Museum, then there exist huge problems in the SH3 installation/modification.

And, when you find an ugly looking Ship in the Museum, this does not automatically mean that these Ship is the reason. Some Day ago i had Admiral Hipper with false Scin in Museum, but the Hipper was in no way modified.

Quote:
What Madox58 suggested years ago was to remove the ship entirely from the roster and sea folders. This fixes the CTD, but I am hesitant due to the unknown effects this might have on the game. I've taken a look through the campaign files in Notepad++ and see that the ship makes several specific appearances. Can anyone more experienced comment as to what might happen if the campaign files call for a ship that has been removed? Removing the entries from the campaign is out of my skill set as I've never used the mission editor or whatever might be used in this case.
Well, i strongly believe you get CTDs if you delete something needed.
The best of, it crashed only when the item is needed. In the 3D-world or on some sort of interaction.

You can test this relativ fast with MissionEditor ME.
- Load scripted Layer SCR, right under Units rightclick first unit. On my install it is "sub Barrikade Ship".
- close ME

- goto SHIII\data\Roster\Environmental\Submarine and move BARR.cfg to a safe place. (do not delete anything!)
- goto SHIII\data\Submarine and move Drawer BARR_ to a safe place.

- reopen ME, SCR, right first Unit, "sub Barrikade Ship"
right click "Center View" ==>works
right click "Properties" ==>Crash<==

- move BARR.cfg and Drawer BARR_ back to its original place.

As you can see, the Crash occour only on interact with item.
When remove something, it should be removed completely. Campaigne files, Roster, Drawer, sometimes no longer needed Librarys.
Another way is not delete but replace. Is more or less identical difficult.

Greetings.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2018 Subsim