SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-11, 02:42 PM   #661
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VONHARRIS View Post
Indeed , my OS is 32bit.
So there is no hope for me.
I agree with Frau Kaleun as I have seen what she has written with my own eyes on my PC.

On the other hand , I wonder if I take manually some ships of the mod (ie the tankers) and put them myself in the game as third part ships , will this work?

I will try and let you know.
Best of luck shipmate, I'm sure many more 32bit users will view this with interest

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 02:45 PM   #662
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

I know when I first started looking at the mod, there were posts where people had taken selected ships and added them in small batches with favorable results.

Someone else may have better info on the process but I think all you need to do is:

1) Copy the data\Sea\**** folder for whichever ship you want to add from the mod to the data\Sea folder in your game directory.

2) Check in the data\Roster folders of the mod to see which nations' rosters contain a ****.cfg file matching that particular ship. Copy that ****.cfg file to the same nations' folders in the data\Roster directory of your game installation. (This should be relatively easy, the ***A ships are American, the ***B ships are British, IIRC only the ***X ships will show up in more than one nation's roster.)

3) Add a line to the EnglishNames.cfg file in the game's data\Sea folder for each ship you add, by class name:

T01A=Tanker
T09A=Tanker

etc., for whatever classes you add.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 03:21 PM   #663
brabham85
Seaman

Downloads: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I know when I first started looking at the mod, there were posts where people had taken selected ships and added them in small batches with favorable results.

Someone else may have better info on the process but I think all you need to do is:

1) Copy the data\Sea\**** folder for whichever ship you want to add from the mod to the data\Sea folder in your game directory.

2) Check in the data\Roster folders of the mod to see which nations' rosters contain a ****.cfg file matching that particular ship. Copy that ****.cfg file to the same nations' folders in the data\Roster directory of your game installation. (This should be relatively easy, the ***A ships are American, the ***B ships are British, IIRC only the ***X ships will show up in more than one nation's roster.)

3) Add a line to the EnglishNames.cfg file in the game's data\Sea folder for each ship you add, by class name:

T01A=Tanker
T09A=Tanker

etc., for whatever classes you add.
I did just that to solve those bizarre neutral-not-neutral ships...
brabham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 03:32 PM   #664
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham85 View Post
I did just that to solve those bizarre neutral-not-neutral ships...
The "neutral-not-neutral" ships are that way on purpose to make things more interesting.

But there's no reason not to remove them from the Allied rosters if that's your preference, more ships = more options for everybody, always a good thing IMO.
Old 03-18-11, 04:25 PM   #665
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

I started with the T08A 12,000ton tanker and the L01B 9,000ton heavy merchant.
I added those ships only to the English roster and it worked so far.
I will keep on adding.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 04:49 PM   #666
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I started with the T08A 12,000ton tanker and the L01B 9,000ton heavy merchant.
I added those ships only to the English roster and it worked so far.
I will keep on adding.
T08B or X maybe? I don't think there is an 'A' for the T08.

At any rate, as long as it works you can add until your system can't handle any more.
Old 03-18-11, 05:26 PM   #667
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
T08B or X maybe? I don't think there is an 'A' for the T08.

At any rate, as long as it works you can add until your system can't handle any more.
Correct Frau Kaleun. Typing error.
So far the following are added : L01B Heavy Merchant 01
M10B Hog Islander UK
T08B Tanker 08
T14B Tanker CAM-ship (my favorite)
PR01 Repair ship (in British roster)
Next to come are the fleet oilers
Old 03-18-11, 11:45 PM   #668
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

I run MFM full on the following:

XP Home SP3 32Bit
AMD Athlon 5600+ Dual Core
2x 1Gig Crucial Ballistix 800mhz RAM (2Gig total)
ASUS M2A-VM moby (really not suited to hardcore gaming and budget by all means, but it does the job).
ASUS 9800GT 1 GB GPU
Seagate Barracuda 80Gig SATA Drive for OS & Apps
Seagate Barracuda 160Gig SATA Drive for games and other tidbits.
Some fancy blue lights on the front. (Essential...)

Now, when I say I run MFM full on this rig, here's the tradeoffs:

I know I'm at the very limit of what my system and the game engine will allow me to get away with, teetering would be a good expression to use. As such, there are certain things that I have to abide by and procedures to follow when I fancy taking a trip to blow stuff up. Firstly, mods. I installed MFM just after I was moved to Lorient, a harbor that hasn't received any real updating from stock. I also have the Wilhelmshaven & St Nazaire addons installed but as I've only done 3 patrols with MFM I've not tried loading up in Wilhelmshaven with MFM enabled. A bridge too far maybe? Possibly, and something I'll get around to testing eventually. Also, I did have issues with the Interiors mod and Kernel.dll CTD's which led me to enable the /3GB switch and apply the 4 GB patch that solved the problem 80% of the time, but did not eradicate it. I'm pretty certain I'd have a lower success rate if I enabled MFM with the Interiors mod and I doubt I'll ever sail it out of Wilhelmshaven.

It all comes down to resources I guess, supply and demand. The game demands it and eventually the system just says 'No, sorry, but no'. With that in mind I know I have to free up as many resources as possible before starting the game, so I do a fresh restart into my /3GB switch OS, let it load up fully then run Gamebooster to close programs and free up RAM. Then I open Task Manager and make sure there's nothing running I can do without. I often disable my internet too, but not always (I forget that bit) in case my programs think during that long load cycle of SH3 is the best time to download an update or five.

The way I see it, at the moment I'm driving an IXB and will be running out of Lorient for a long time to come (or not if the RN have their way...), so I don't need the Interiors, and I don't have to worry about the extra drain of the updated harbors. In the past I've spent so much time rearranging, adding, tweaking/merging mods I just want to sit back and enjoy the game so I've forbidden myself from any more adding or tinkering so I can concentrate on getting past '42, which is something I've not managed before, not because I'm a bad Kaleun, but because I can't resist that extra little thing here, or that new UI there etc, etc. As I've said before, it's this mod soup phenomenon that draws me to SH3 and the stirling work of those that make it possible, but it doesn't make for a relaxing, hassle free gaming experience unless I put the brakes on and settle for what I have right now.

Eventually, I will either die or sail up the Thames and win the war with a deck gun barrage to Winston himself and then my problems will start over, where I have to compromise my mod list to allow me to sail from Wilhelmshaven, or have somewhere to sit and eat my salami inside my VII, or have lots of varied ships to sling hot lead at. I won't be able to do all of the above until I get W7 64bit and the ability to add more RAM, but for now I have my IXB and my French mistresses as well as lots of lovely ships to look at before I realise I should be sinkin 'em. Although I'm limited in as far as what I can do in game, it doesn't change the game for the worse for me, it's still as immersive and dark as it ever was, just now I can actually play quite happily within the confines of my 'happy medium', which is something I haven't done before.

There will come a time as I said that I'll have to strip it back and start again, but as I seem to have less time to play games nowadays, I'm pretty confident the next time I do a reinstall, it'll be on a new W7 system that is looking very likely not so far in the future. The main point is, everybody has a different mod list and a different spec. There is NO hard and fast rule as to what works and what doesn't, you just have to put in the time to work out what you can get away with and what you have to sacrifice in order to finally sit back and enjoy the game. It's taken me about a year to reach this point, but the knowledge I've gained and the respect I have for the modders and all those that fill these threads has made every minute worthwhile.

It might also be the reason why I decided yesterday to take a punt on SH5 in the hope that it too receives the kind of loving touches SH3 has over the years. After trying a few mods and reading the '5 forums, I'm optimistic that this will indeed be the case (it already is tbh) but the decision to pick up the game and then swap hard earned currency for it (much to the obvious dismay of my girlfriend...), was only because of Subsim and those that work to add the finishing touches that modern day game developers are either unwilling to, or forced not to themselves.

I just wish I was 16 again so I could get away with lazing around the house in my underwear playing computer games all day, but alas, I can't. Kids got it good nowadays...

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 01:17 AM   #669
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Frau Kaleun , No3 of your procedure is not neccesary because the English names.cfg of GWX has already the entries of the MFM.

Thank you all for your support
Old 03-19-11, 10:06 AM   #670
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Frau Kaleun , No3 of your procedure is not neccesary because the English names.cfg of GWX has already the entries of the MFM.

Thank you all for your support
Good point,I always check though to make sure that there's an entry for anything that gets added to the game. I've just gotten into the habit, in fact I just spent considerable time going through my own list to square it with all the ship folders to make sure it matched up as part of a bigger project that I'm still working on.
Old 03-23-11, 08:37 AM   #671
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Things are going very well. I have added 17 ships of the MFM and no ctd so far.
I will keep adding.
Old 03-30-11, 01:30 PM   #672
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Things are going very well. I have added 17 ships of the MFM and no ctd so far.
I will keep adding.

Hey VON are u running MFM with NYGM??? I noticed you didnt install MFM full but added it in bits and pieces, does installing it full cause problems with NYGM and MaGUI?

Can i see your Install order?
Old 03-30-11, 08:32 PM   #673
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Hey VON are u running MFM with NYGM??? I noticed you didnt install MFM full but added it in bits and pieces, does installing it full cause problems with NYGM and MaGUI?

I don´t use NYGM now, but I remember a fix or patch for the MFM in that supermod.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 01:55 PM   #674
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post

I used NYGM for a short time just to check it. Inside the download there are two mods IABLShipsforNYGM_New and MFM-Interim-Beta_NYGM which install part of the MFM in NYGM.

I didn't like NYGM so I returned to GWX.

The bits and pieces "installation" was used with GWX because when I installed the whole mod it crashed.
Notice : After you install each ship you have to run the game to check that it runs OK.
Old 04-01-11, 10:12 PM   #675
BRNR
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have a question on this mod. Forgive me if it was written but I'm not sure I can read through 45 pages of this thread as my mind will explode.

I have several installs of SHIII to test mods and have an original in order to play online with friends who do not tinker with mods.

I assume this mod will show up in the MUSEUM? I don't see anything there but the default ships.

I have seen these ships on another install with GWX mod installed, the tutorial torpedo mission, so I could test, I saw the better skins from this mod. BUT, I was getting a lockup/crash when loading a mission or going to Museum.

I used JSGME to activate the mod.

I made another clean install of SHIII, no mods, except this one, I go to museum, no new skins, nor do I see them in the mission I use to test, the torpedo tutorial mission.

I am a bit new to JSGME and these mods. so its possible I'm mucking something up.

Suggestions?