SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-07, 03:10 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default Scenario Design - call for help vets, analysts, and designers!

Here is the story line of a highly dynamic scenario I would like to develop.

Situation: Cold war gone hot; USA/NATO versus USSR.

Special: Spy sats for whatever reason are not going to be available.

Strategic: Two medium size fleets are reaching out for each other to engage one another.

Tactical: Each fleet has high valued assets with an inner screen and an outer screen. A far out screen will contain SSNs. There may be a surprise SSK or two lurking at the heart of the fleet as a last ditch ASW effort. Both screens should be passive. The inner screen should go active if there is reason to believe it has been breached.

Scenario: Your sub is one of a number of subs assigned to the far outer screen. Your mission is:

(1) Prevent enemy subs from penetrating your screen. Realistic?

(2) Eliminate enemy sub screen assets and move in to penetrate the surface screens and find the enemy high value assets. When high value assets are found, establish very precise coordinateds through visual observation of these assets and transmit coordinates to fleet for long range cruise missile strike. Realistic?

(3) Following massive missile strike, you are cleared to hunt survivors and/or establish a picket line to sink an retreating units attempting to return to base or link up with other fleets. Realtistic?

(4) Enemy SSNs will be attempting to do something similar. The scenario will place certain time constrains on you and potentially jeopardize your forces if the enemy can locate your fleet first. Realistic?

Questions: For those in the know:

(1) What ships should be in the outer screen, inner screen, and high value core?

(2) What should be their relative distances?

(3) Is the use of the SSNs realistic? Extreme screen/picket/recon units?

(4) How wide should the no mans land be between the two most advanced units of the two fleets?

(5) I am trying to cast the subs in the primarily recon role as opposed to AEW and air search assets. Is this realistic? Would SSNs be out there further and ahead of air assets?

(6) Do I need a story line for air assets not playing a role? For example, it is happening in a global warming super cell with a sea state 10. Aircraft are useless. Of course, could launch cruise missiles in that.

(7) Is being both a screen and recon asset for an SSN an irreconciable conflict of roles?

(8) Given that DW gives me 600nm by 600nw, do I have a enough space to do this right?

Scenario design thoughts:

(1) I want to use dynamic groups and dynamic locations to vary starting locations and mix of SSNs and possible SSKs.

(2) I want the core fleet doing random zig-zag via scripts. Make it harder for enemy SSNs to penetrate and conduct recon.

(3) I want AI SSNs doing sprint and drift via scripts. Allow the SSNs to keep their speed up without running deaf.

(4) I am not sure if missile pulses should be done by scripting entering targets for cruise missile assets based on an SSN, assigning targets, and doing multiple pulses by scripting fast reloads. Or should I just simulate the attack with explosions and damage scripts. This would make it easier to guarantee a successful strike.

(5) I sketched out the player's SSN having three roles: counter-recon (blind the enemy; kill his SSNs), recon (get a fix on the enemy's targets), and backup (support the attack). Suppose the enemy gets the first strikes, then should I still try to have some roles for my play SSN? What would that role be? Cover the retreat of the fleet and slow the enemy fleet down as much as possible?

---

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 11-15-07, 03:25 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

One thing I also want to do with this scenario is that I want to avoid the classic small scale sub versus sub player is the center of the universe type of thing. I want it to be a big ocean out there and the player is one small part of large forces which slowly but without pause plodding towards each other and a brutal exchange. In some sense, this scenario could easily be handled with Harpoon except that I want to be driving a single sub!!! However, this will be my first attempt pursuing my own personal flavor of scenario design:

(1) Scenarios should be highly dynamic such that even I, the author, can get full value out of playing them.

(2) The scenarios should paint a large production upon a big stage. The player finds himself/herself cast upon this stage with the opportunity to do something significant, but not at the center of universe. For those who have played the Take Command ACW series, it is this feeling which I am trying to capture.

---

By the way, I know that this is very ambitious for a guy with my humble qualifications. However, I see much unrealized potential in the SC/DW scenarios. Their scope is often well below what could be done by the Editor. I want to take the Editor and the Engine to the limit and see what I can create.
Old 11-15-07, 06:16 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I think 7 is a bit of an issue, but you can justify it with limited assets being available.

The missile strikes could end up being a rather large problem. Promoting a contact as hostile, high confidence should be enough to get friendly platforms to fire on it. But chances are whoever is doing the shooting will not shoot enough missiles to get the results you want, so you might need a workaround.