SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-14, 10:22 AM   #31
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Yes, lurker is missed here. He did great things with the PTO and ATO : )

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:09 PM   #32
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I take it you are referring to SH5, because for SH4 we already have Operation Monsoon which ports over to Sh4 the uboats (even minelayers) and also merchant fleet mod and a huge amount of other stuff.
Yes, but he left. I hope in the future the newer stuff gets ported over, and SHIV becomes the new platform,

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:22 PM   #33
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I take it you are referring to SH5, because for SH4 we already have Operation Monsoon which ports over to Sh4 the uboats (even minelayers) and also merchant fleet mod and a huge amount of other stuff.
That mod does need some work still. For example the conning tower upgrade bug that i've been trying to fix. Also the sinking problems with the stock SH4 merchants. It can take hours for a hog islander to sink while it only takes a few minutes for a MFM import to sink.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 02:31 PM   #34
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

yes, hats off to lurker, I play SH4 still and I find myself more interested in the ATO then the PTO and play that way about 75% of the time, and yes there are some bug's in the OM side

I would like to see SH4 with the same Mods' that SH3 has ( the reason I just started SH3) but there should still be ways to improve on the PTO also, as far as what I would like to see in theses MOD's, .....

I like all the goodies that improve realistic play, as far as the PTO goes, a Japan Sub Campaign would be welcome I suspect just like we have Dive at Dawn for SH3 ( Brit ).
Old 04-03-14, 03:30 PM   #35
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captgeo View Post
yes, hats off to lurker, I play SH4 still and I find myself more interested in the ATO then the PTO and play that way about 75% of the time, and yes there are some bug's in the OM side

I would like to see SH4 with the same Mods' that SH3 has ( the reason I just started SH3) but there should still be ways to improve on the PTO also, as far as what I would like to see in theses MOD's, .....

I like all the goodies that improve realistic play, as far as the PTO goes, a Japan Sub Campaign would be welcome I suspect just like we have Dive at Dawn for SH3 ( Brit ).
Isn't Dive at Dawn for SH4?
Old 04-03-14, 03:31 PM   #36
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Isn't Dive at Dawn for SH4?

Yes.

Back in the Day

Old 04-03-14, 04:10 PM   #37
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Yes.
That's what I thought. Also Cybermat47 is working on a Japanese campaign is slowly working on his own Japanese campaign. Oh and my brother is into coding so maybe he could help with cracking the EXE for SH4?
Old 04-03-14, 07:57 PM   #38
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Here is what is being done with SH5's exe:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433

Back in the Day

Old 04-03-14, 10:12 PM   #39
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Here is what is being done with SH5's exe:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433
Hmmm... Might take him awhile but give him the tools and time my brother could eventually do something like that.
Old 04-03-14, 10:52 PM   #40
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Personally, my idea of what SH4 should have been is long lost with the clutter of adding the German side of play to the game. Anyone whose looked under the hood of this game.....long before the U-Boat Missions Add-on, with its 5th patch.....the game was predestined to do double duty. I'm sure before the March 2007 release, there were plans in the works to add the German side to the game. You could see it from the very outset......the American Campaign was going to get the short end of the stick.

For instance, version 1.0 of the game had only the Metric Units of Measurement as the sole source of measuring!! So, with the best game simulation for American Fleet Boats we get the Metric System to measure with!?! I'm surprised the Fleet Boat crews didn't speak German as well! The Menu_1024_768.ini file is full of useless, leftover trappings of SHIII, even with the Add-on, there are many of these files not used in-game.

What I'd like to see is a better game designed from the ground up devoted to Fleet Boats. Want to play the German side? You've got SHIII or V....but they should have started over with their design when thinking of an American Pacific War Simulation. I think you would have found a smoother running game, faster loading, with less useless files to run through. As it is, our modifications are just scratching the surface of what should have been a better game designed from within. Unfortunately it's not, we're just putting a fresh coat of paint on a decade old game engine.....and ten years passed is ancient history in computer terms.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 12:13 AM   #41
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Amen to that. The most irritating part about trying to mod this game is figuring out which files do what when half of them do nothing at all.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 08:45 AM   #42
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Amen to that. The most irritating part about trying to mod this game is figuring out which files do what when half of them do nothing at all.
not only that but some files for things will effect changes while other identical files for other similar objects don't change anything at all if you change values so some other file or system must control that element of that ship. there is little o no continuity to what you need to change to make things change in the game.
Old 04-04-14, 08:53 AM   #43
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I don't know if I mentioned it before but the absolute sniper accuracy of enemy gunners in the game needs to be GONE.

there are those who claim gunners were fairly accurate because ships are more stable platforms then sub decks but to hit a conning tower at 5000m is impossible yet they do it with alarming success which is unrealistic to the most degree.

the thing with setting this is the balance when they get closer they should be more accurate yet the game works on a system where every "x" amount of shots is a dead on hit then it "forces" a missed shot every "x" number of shots so you get forced misses at 1500m and a conning tower hit at 5000m in the first 3 shots even though it can be argued it should be hard to detect the tower at that range much less hit it with any accuracy.

also no one has ever put realistic limits on low shooting so enemy guns aim way too low. battleships are a good example as they shoot down at you when at best they were limited to horizontal shots and the smaller guns should be the only ones targeting you.

a complete overhaul of range detection, gun accuracy, effective gun range, and elevation limits, as well as looking over the hit points of shells should be done
Old 04-04-14, 10:03 AM   #44
Snarf
Officer

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 10

One I would really like to see is for the ability for AA gun stations to engage ships, and for the main deck gun to be able to engage aircraft. More often than not when the deck gun was in action against a ship the AA gunners were raking the ship as well (the enemy fires theirs at you), this should also have the effect of suppressing the return fire on smaller ships and from manned gun stations (not turrets).
Old 04-04-14, 12:01 PM   #45
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default oo oo oo I got one

While I was running surface units and manning the main deck gun jumping back and forth to uzo using the position keeper to get range it dawned on me why not put the position keeper in the deck gun sight the uzo works well for range finding with manual targeting turned off also a bearing compass would be nice..
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote