SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-13, 11:04 AM   #46
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

jhapprich - interesting .... I'll need to start playing around with my setting again - it's 2 years since I did this stuff and my memory isn't great. In terms of barrel angles, have you tired rotating the launching barrel through 90 degrees on the model ... so that when the barrel gets raised, it is actually turning horizontally ? I tried it but my range / shell speed config caused issues, IIRC.

My goal was to have the launchers lead the targets with realistic torpedo speeds ... and what I mean by lead ... is to aim in front of the target adequately so that the torps had a chance of hitting a target travelling at a consistent speed.... sort of having the AI fire as if it had a proper torpedo solution to the target.

As for range ... not convinced yours applies a range - I tested the mission and measured a launch from 1600M - well beyond your confirued 1000m limit - so I reckon it's a factor of your shell speed or just a relatively blind AIvisual sensor setting. BTW, for reference, I applied you files on top of Ops Monsoon (by base install for the TSWSM).

If we keep at this, am sure we'll make it better. I'll take a look at the accuracry factors over the coming weekend ... right now I'm fiaghting with a conversion of HMAS Sydney to be a playable unit ... and the little bugger is giving me all sorts of issues .... it's been 3 years since I converted a playable ship and I'm having to re-learn some stuff :-(
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 12:29 PM   #47
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Does this work with AI submarines yet?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 01:53 PM   #48
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I wonder why there is a vast array of distances and number of fish fired. Sometimes the DD get off a few a sometimes as many as 50+ between the four. I know they seem to steer certain courses so they come to specific firing angles so maybe being that the course is random this comes into play.

I hope this works out for longer firing distances.

I really love the look of this and would love to see more of this in the normal running game and hopefully enemy AIsubmarines. I would very much enjoy seeing this applied across all AI's from all countries that have torpedo capable vessels.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 03:23 PM   #49
polyfiller
Weps

Yes this is working on AI submarines... both Jhapprich and I have working AI subs firing torpedoes.
Old 10-23-13, 06:49 PM   #50
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
Yes this is working on AI submarines... both Jhapprich and I have working AI subs firing torpedoes.

Awesome.Are they included in the release?
Old 10-25-13, 07:35 AM   #51
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

So do just enable this JSGME? how do we get other ships not included to fire torpedoes? I did not see a readme in the release and am not sure how.
Old 10-25-13, 08:36 AM   #52
polyfiller
Weps

I enabled via JSGME. If you want to add the launcher to other ships, you need to add the weapon Torpedolauncher93 to the ships .eqp file (located in the \data\sea\shipname directory). You need to work out which node on the ship is appropriate for the launcher - to do so open the ships .dat file using S3d and enable the model preview window. Many ships have specific T01, T02 etc. nodes for torp launcher mounting, but some have them named as M06, S06 etc. Just look for the appropriate node placement and reference it's name, then use that nodename in the .eqp file like this;

[Equipment 12]
NodeName=M06
LinkName=Torpedolauncher93
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

Youl'll need to change M06 to mathc the node in the .dat file you find appropriate and chanhe the equipment number to be in sequence in the .eqp file.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-13, 03:05 PM   #53
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

So this particular addition is only working on those destroyers in the single mission that is created or the launcher is now working on any of those destroyers that show up in the game?

If this is not one that causes all those destroyers to have the launcher will we be seeing a mod that enables all surface and subsurface vessels to fire torpedoes?
Old 10-25-13, 03:54 PM   #54
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

right now the launcher only works on the fubuki when the mod is enabled. as polyfiller wrote below, it has to be added to any further vessels if you want it to run there. but you do not only have to add the launcher to the .eqp, you also have to redesignate the referencing T*-nodes to M* for weapon_cannon, and you have to assign the corresponding obj_turret in the ships *.sim, that dictates the firing paramaters such as firing sectors, traverse and elevation.besides, there is a seperate launcher for ships and for submarines with different parametes, and i will also add a launcher for the elco and the quad launchers.
ps polyfiller i changed the angle of the barrer in relation to the mount so the target leading on moving vessels works way better now. i will use a straight firing launcher and angulated versions on the ships to give it the ability to attack both moving and stopped vessels. the AI Alfa works fine now
Old 10-25-13, 07:02 PM   #55
polyfiller
Weps

jhapprich - just completed some more testing of you type93 launcher .... using my aisensors settings for detecting enemy targets, I have a Kent Class crusier configured with your type93 launcher and it's launching out to 3800 m, with the maximum range in the .sim file set to 1000m (unchanged from your config) ..... so I can confirm that the range limitation, as per my extensive testing with my torp setup, has no effect whatsoever.

Also to respond to your earlier quesiton about homing, I've just checked my config for the type 14 torpedo - either I added two guidance nodes in the .sim for the mk14 (Torpedoes_US.SIM) or the mk14 already had guidance configured - I can't remember which and I don't have a vanilla install to check against just at the moment. So the lower part of my .sim entry for the Mk14 is;

- Guidances [2]
- [0]
min_date = 01/01/1938
max_date = 31/03/1943
circle_runner_chance = 0.5
- GyroProblems [1]
[0]
max_deviation = 50.0
chance = 0.3
- DepthKeepingProblems [1]
- [0]
mindeviation = 1.5
maxdeviation = 3.3
chance = 70.0

-[1]
min_date = 31/03/1943
max_date = 31/12/1949
- GyroProblems [1]
maxdeviation = 50.0
chance = 0.2
DepthkeepingProblems [0]

I reckon I copied these from somewhere else and tweaked them a little - but I really can't remember for sure. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-13, 04:27 PM   #56
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Say one you add a Permit class Submarine to this launcher mix??

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=1#post2133827
Old 10-27-13, 11:54 AM   #57
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
jhapprich - just completed some more testing of you type93 launcher .... using my aisensors settings for detecting enemy targets, I have a Kent Class crusier configured with your type93 launcher and it's launching out to 3800 m, with the maximum range in the .sim file set to 1000m (unchanged from your config) ..... so I can confirm that the range limitation, as per my extensive testing with my torp setup, has no effect whatsoever.

Also to respond to your earlier quesiton about homing, I've just checked my config for the type 14 torpedo - either I added two guidance nodes in the .sim for the mk14 (Torpedoes_US.SIM) or the mk14 already had guidance configured - I can't remember which and I don't have a vanilla install to check against just at the moment. So the lower part of my .sim entry for the Mk14 is;

- Guidances [2]
- [0]
min_date = 01/01/1938
max_date = 31/03/1943
circle_runner_chance = 0.5
- GyroProblems [1]
[0]
max_deviation = 50.0
chance = 0.3
- DepthKeepingProblems [1]
- [0]
mindeviation = 1.5
maxdeviation = 3.3
chance = 70.0

-[1]
min_date = 31/03/1943
max_date = 31/12/1949
- GyroProblems [1]
maxdeviation = 50.0
chance = 0.2
DepthkeepingProblems [0]

I reckon I copied these from somewhere else and tweaked them a little - but I really can't remember for sure. Hope this helps.
Sorry, but to my knowledge, homing torpedos will not work. to me, homing means acoustically tracking the propeller noise. the launchers work just fine on the stock installation within the possible parameters. honestly speaking, i do not believe the launchers you are describing in your posts, which seem to be based on the darkfish´s spawner, are working better, because this is simply technically not possible. maybe you just upload the files and make me change me mind about this, otherwise keep testing, but i wonder about your intentions. the original question of this thread, which is not mine, was whether there is a way to give ai controlled vessels a torpedo weapon. this has been solved by me and thats it. there will be an update with a basic ai submarine and two more useable launchers- one for subs to sub combat and one for the ai sub against surface ships. if i ever wanted the launcher to be able to attack from some 3000 m away, i would have done so. thanks for your input.
Old 11-04-13, 09:39 AM   #58
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Any new development on this being able to be added in a completed version with JSGME for all ships carrying torpedoes?
Old 11-04-13, 05:31 PM   #59
polyfiller
Weps

I don't think it's a good move to add to all ships just now ... I'm confident we can't control the range at which the ships will try to launch, other than by reducing the ships detection ranges to the range at which we want them to launch torpedoes - which has all sorts of other gameplay consequences.

Jhapprich - you're correct - my memory is returning ... acustic homing can't be added to torps (hardcoded torpedo types) .. in the same we we can't add to the list of torpedoes, just eplace existing.... and if I rememebr correctly, when I tried to make the launcher use an existing acustic torpedo ... it caused CTD, but I can't remember for sure.

For me the key issue which persists is restricing the range at which Ai attempts to launch for ships. For Ai subs I have no qualms about setting their AI visual sensor to very short range ... and if you happen to cross their path within that range, they will fire on you / your convoy or whatever... but for ships, I think we still want ships to retain realistic detection ranges, but only fire torps at appropriate ranges ... and that's what I can't yet fix.
Old 02-20-14, 03:59 PM   #60
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

jhapprich ... I'm sorry but I hate you.

Those damn Fubuki destroyers have been kicking my ass of late.

I decided to change things up a bit and run Fall of the rising sun as well as the Iowa playable battleship mod.

Well that Iowa makes a very nice target for the Fubuki. I try to avoid them now even with my fire power. I try to pick them off from a distance. I have noticed once they turn perpendicular to me I have a great shot to sink them ... and if I turn their torpedoes have a great chance of sinking the Iowa.

I just sank three and the last one had turned perpendicular and after sinking it I turned to advance into another direction after their Task Force.

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom ... Boom. Now I'm sinking from the torpedo hits. I hate you.

I love your mod. Even playing the Battleship Iowa your mod makes this a good challenge and not just a walk in the park.

I love the challenge this mod brings. It should be in everyones mod list.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
FalloftherisingSun_V1.3_SH4V1.5_EN
USS Iowa
New Ships + Yamato AA Fix
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
tambor198's TMO+RSRDC missions pack
AITorpedolauncher
Webster's Missing Voices

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍