SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-11, 03:33 PM   #1
Castorp24
Loader

Downloads: 274
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] AlterNavigation 1.5

Big name for a little mod which intends to go a step further than the No_sub_on_map mod by Thendash, and is aimed to be used in either of two ways:

1. With the celestial navigation mods (CelNav by 6SJ7GT or RealNavigation by Mav87th).
2. Without any of them.

It has been tested for SH4 v1.5 in a WindowsXP system
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION

The mod is JSGME ready, just unrar into MODS folder and activate with the mod enabler.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT THIS MOD DOES...

1. It completely removes squares, circles, triangles and "tails" of every air/sea unit in the navigation map (including your own ship/sub) regardless of the zoom level. It also gets rid of the more detailed icons of those units in the closer levels of the zoom.
2. It renders the "plot course" button in the navigation menu unusable, so that the beginning of the course line doesn't show your position in the map.
3. Adds a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+B) to toggle battle stations.

...AND WHY.

1. As don1reed very well explains here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...135215&page=13
the F5 chart is not a mercator projection chart and that's why dead reckoning is very difficult and really frustrating in SH4.
2. As far as I know, the easiest way of navigating (apart from the vanilla in-game way, of course) is plotting your position now and again to check where you are, how far you went and in which direction you did it.
3. The in-game map is now a tool where you can do all this plotting without visual clues of the position of any sea/air unit, although you still can plot their position according to your radio and watchmen reports.

WHAT ABOUT CELESTIAL NAVIGATION?

CN PROS: you will get "inmersivewise bonuses" (please excuse my English), you will spend beautiful moments in the bridge "shooting" stars and you will learn enough astronomy to make any woman think how romantic you are when you try to get the most out of those RL summer nights... (never works for me, though)
CN CONS: it involves a learning curve that can get too steep sometimes and/or for some people (like myself), and it can really make you focus more in the sky and less in the game.

AND, ANYWAY, THAT'S WHY THEY PAY THE NAVIGATOR!...
...so the moment I knew that the in-game status reports reveal the ship coordinates, I started plotting my position in the map and relying on the sextant guy. He's never let me down.

Oh, and if you want to get that little extra accuracy to the seconds, I would use one of the above mentioned wonderful mods, both of which have been the real inspiration for this little tweak.

Thanks to all this amazing, great community, you've made me spend really happy hours.

Castorp24

DOWNLOAD LINK http://www.gamefront.com/files/24222...ation+v1.5.rar

PS: please let me know if the link doesn't work

Last edited by Castorp24; 05-08-14 at 10:07 PM.
Castorp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 04:49 PM   #2
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28

nice idea. for long travels, you can use the status reports to get position, for action, you have to do dead reckoning for your target data. nice approach, will test it later (not at home).
Old 12-27-11, 06:08 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castorp24 View Post
AND, ANYWAY, THAT'S WHY THEY PAY THE NAVIGATOR!...
...so the moment I knew that the in-game status reports reveal the ship coordinates, I started plotting my position in the map and relying on the sextant guy. He's never let me down.
I had never thought of that, pretty clever.

I'm tempted to try CelNav again (someday).

Would it be possible to mod the game such that one could use and make marks on the 'Attack plot'? The idea here is the Nav plot would be used for navigation as you describe, but the 'Attack plot' could be used with a 'dead-reckoning indicator', and provide a certain reference for your boat.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 12:59 PM   #4
Castorp24
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Would it be possible to mod the game such that one could use and make marks on the 'Attack plot'? The idea here is the Nav plot would be used for navigation as you describe, but the 'Attack plot' could be used with a 'dead-reckoning indicator', and provide a certain reference for your boat.
Maybe, but I can't tell you for sure. My knowledge of the game is quite limited and I'm not what one would call a modder. Actually, I'm not using subs any more in the game, but surface ships. After reading your question I checked the attack map and surprise! There was this little line (not sure what it was) revealing the position of the ship. This doesn't happen in the navigation map any more with this mod.

By the way, I haven't been able to get rid of the Ctrl+Left click command yet, the one that centers the nav map on the position of the sub. I didn't find anything under Data/Cfg/Commands.cfg...

Any ideas?
Old 12-28-11, 09:32 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not a modder either. I just thought it would be neat if someone could have some type of Cel Nav and still retain a useful attack plot.

Quote:
There was this little line (not sure what it was) revealing the position of the ship.
This would be the torpedo firing solution that the TDC is generating. IIRC, RFB eliminates most of it, so you only see your own boat and land mases, no contacts. I never really used it, as it basically tells you, in advance, wether or not your torpedos will hit....... rather too easy.

Quote:
By the way, I haven't been able to get rid of the Ctrl+Left click command yet, the one that centers the nav map on the position of the sub. I didn't find anything under Data/Cfg/Commands.cfg...

Any ideas?
I don't know, but I would think if you knew the right file to look at, you could eliminate this. It's not like you need to add any new functionality.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 07:39 AM   #6
Castorp24
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
This would be the torpedo firing solution that the TDC is generating.
I thought so. If this is the case, it could be easily removed modifying Data\Menu\Gui\DashLine.dds. I'll leave it for the moment since the attack map is not going to affect the navigation at all.

Thanks for answering
Old 11-07-12, 03:35 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

"File not found"...Any help guys?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 08:01 PM   #8
Castorp24
Loader

I just updated the download link in the first post. I believe it takes some time (maybe a few hours, not sure) for it to be operative. If you have any problem downloading, let me know.
Old 11-10-12, 11:56 AM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

something isn't right again...Can you check link one more time pls?

Last edited by vdr1981; 03-29-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 03:43 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Bump,Castor, bump!
Old 11-17-12, 03:47 PM   #11
Castorp24
Loader

Blistering barnacles!!
Well, why don´t you PM me your email address so I can send the file to you? It´s only 36kb.

PS: it´s not TMO tested...

...oh, and sorry for the delay, I visit the forum now and then...
Old 11-18-12, 05:11 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

PM sent! I gues this should work with Operation monsun supermod?

Last edited by vdr1981; 11-18-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 01:24 AM   #13
Castorp24
Loader

Ok, I just sent the file to your email address.
Not sure what OM is, sorry
Is it the same as U-Boat expansion, aka SH4 v1.5? Or is it a German side megamod?
This modification was made for plain SH4 v1.5. In TMO, if I remember correctly, it failed to utterly hide ships´ icons in the lowest/closest zoom levels of the navigation map.

Let me know if you have any issues. As you have realised now, I´m not the fastest to answer, but... I try LOL
Old 11-20-12, 11:59 AM   #14
Encrusted_Garlic
Watch

Downloads: 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castorp24 View Post
Ok, I just sent the file to your email address.
Not sure what OM is, sorry
Is it the same as U-Boat expansion, aka SH4 v1.5? Or is it a German side megamod?
This modification was made for plain SH4 v1.5. In TMO, if I remember correctly, it failed to utterly hide ships´ icons in the lowest/closest zoom levels of the navigation map.

Let me know if you have any issues. As you have realised now, I´m not the fastest to answer, but... I try LOL
Om is Operation Monsun, Its an overhaul of the german campaign and many other things related... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...13&postcount=1 pretty awesome amount of stuff going on in it.

Windows 7 64x
Asus M4A88TD-V Sata6gb Motherboard
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 4.2
16gb Corsair RAM
600w Corsair Power Supply
A50 Corsair CPU Cooler
XFX Radeon HD 7850 with Ghost Thermal
Encrusted_Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 10:34 PM   #15
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Default [REL] AlterNavigation 1.5

Yes, I know this is resurrecting a zombie thread, but does anyone have a working link or copy of this one

Thanks

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 03-27-14 at 10:57 PM.
ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote