SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-14, 02:32 PM   #1126
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Sorted.

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 07-29-14 at 10:20 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 06:31 PM   #1127
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

hey RFB team I just started playing RFB 2.0 and I love it even more than TMO (don't tell ducy ) and I was wondering are there going to be later versions of RFB? Or is 2.0 the final.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 08:23 AM   #1128
Sardaukar67
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 47

I second the question/request.
Sardaukar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 11:14 AM   #1129
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Although I had/have no part in RFB, I doubt the old 'team' is actively doing any work. Kickinback is still up however, and I wish someone was still posting over there. Great archive of info if anyone wants to dive in.

SH5 and the departure of Luke (to bigger things) look like major turning points to me.

That said, a few individual modders close to the 'old team' are working on RFB compatible mods: for example, TorpX is doing outstanding work on 'Improved Ship Physics'.

Keep your eyes peeled & scanning the horizon for these gems.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 04:35 PM   #1130
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Downloads: 148

This seems to be a good mod love the sinking thing but seems I can't really play it as when I start the career mode to and go out on patrol the game crashes when I try to see the outside of the boat either by going to the bridge watch station or hitting the external view button. Seems to run fine when I stay inside the boat. But that be boring after a bit. Anyone had the same issue?
silverdragon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 05:46 PM   #1131
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon41 View Post
This seems to be a good mod love the sinking thing but seems I can't really play it as when I start the career mode to and go out on patrol the game crashes when I try to see the outside of the boat either by going to the bridge watch station or hitting the external view button. Seems to run fine when I stay inside the boat. But that be boring after a bit. Anyone had the same issue?
Nope, not I.

Are you using RFB 2.0 on SH4 patched to ver. 1.5 U-Boat missions or SH4 Gold?
Did you install the "RFB_2_0_Patch_23April2010"?
Are you running any other mods?

More info would make it easier to help.

P.S. Welcome to Subsim : )

Old 09-11-14, 11:34 PM   #1132
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Nope, not I.

Are you using RFB 2.0 on SH4 patched to ver. 1.5 U-Boat missions or SH4 Gold?
Did you install the "RFB_2_0_Patch_23April2010"?
Are you running any other mods?

More info would make it easier to help.

P.S. Welcome to Subsim : )
Its the sh4 patch to 1.5 u-boat missions and yes to the april patch. Only other mod had for it was the natural sinking mechanics mod but that was uninstalled before doing rfb.

Also tried a clean install. Still does it. But only in career mode. the tutorial missions it does fine. Also its the sh4 version on steam.

P.S. Well seem to found out the problem. Decided to look through the periscope and found out that the outside textures are **** up. Nothing but wavey lines of color is all it is.

Last edited by silverdragon41; 09-12-14 at 02:39 AM. Reason: More info
Old 09-12-14, 11:48 AM   #1133
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Wow - can't have that........... did you start up SH4 in Career mode before installing RFB to check everything out in the Stock install first?

Then if SH4 ran fine before installing RFB it's either a Steam issue, SH4 location issue, JSGME issue, or RFB.

I don't know about how Steam interacts with mods but suspect everyone using Steam versions of SH4 would have said something if it was a problem, or needed special care.

Is SH4 installed to a folder off your C:\ or D:\ drive that you created - like I did called (for example):
C:\Subgames\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\sh4.exe - and other files & folders

- or to C:\username\Program Files\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\ ? <-- not recommended.

Did you configure the SH4 shortcut to start with sh4.exe - not gu.exe? gu.exe checks for needed updates before calling/permitting the sh4.exe file to start SH4.

After confirming SH4 started in Career mode, with an unmodded Vanilla Stock SH4 install using a sh4.exe shortcut, and then installing the JSGME, trying to start in Career mode again successfully, did you take a 'snapshot' of your files using that JSGME feature before installing RFB from the:
..... \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\ folder using the jsgme.exe in the ..... \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\ folder?

I can't think of anything else - possible bad RFB and/or RFB April Patch files?

Hopefully the issue is one of the others listed above - before installing RFB from the JSGME.

I'll check back - maybe someone will chime in about Steam versions too.

-

Old 09-12-14, 02:15 PM   #1134
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Quote:
Wow - can't have that........... did you start up SH4 in Career mode before installing RFB to check everything out in the Stock install first?

Then if SH4 ran fine before installing RFB it's either a Steam issue, SH4 location issue, JSGME issue, or RFB.

I don't know about how Steam interacts with mods but suspect everyone using Steam versions of SH4 would have said something if it was a problem, or needed special care.

Is SH4 installed to a folder off your C:\ or D:\ drive that you created - like I did called (for example):
C:\Subgames\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\sh4.exe - and other files & folders

- or to C:\username\Program Files\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\ ? <-- not recommended.

Did you configure the SH4 shortcut to start with sh4.exe - not gu.exe? gu.exe checks for needed updates before calling/permitting the sh4.exe file to start SH4.

After confirming SH4 started in Career mode, with an unmodded Vanilla Stock SH4 install using a sh4.exe shortcut, and then installing the JSGME, trying to start in Career mode again successfully, did you take a 'snapshot' of your files using that JSGME feature before installing RFB from the:
..... \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\ folder using the jsgme.exe in the ..... \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\ folder?

I can't think of anything else - possible bad RFB and/or RFB April Patch files?

Hopefully the issue is one of the others listed above - before installing RFB from the JSGME.

I'll check back - maybe someone will chime in about Steam versions too.

-
Well I am doing another clean install of it to test to see if it works. As for its location it is in program files but not on the main drive that windows operates from. Thou thats the folder steam decided to put all my games in. Thou really do not see the problem of folder placement when mods for sh5 work fine with it being in there and mods for skyrim working well as well.

P.S. Well the vanilla version works just fine. Going to try the mod again.

P.S.S. Well seems to fix the problem by switching the shortcut on main desktop with one manually made from within the folder itself. NVM. It work once then went right back to the same problem.

Last edited by silverdragon41; 09-12-14 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 03:56 PM   #1135
aanker
Pacific Thunder

So you got it - that's the main thing : )

I have read that there are issues in Win 7, Win 8. & Win 8.1 installing mods, if SH4 is in Program Files(86) or Program Files.

If you ever need to re-install again, please consider making that extra folder on the root C:\ and tell the installer, that's where you want it.

Maybe that's impossible running Steam - I wouldn't know..... anyway,

Happy Hunting!

Old 09-12-14, 04:32 PM   #1136
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Quote:
So you got it - that's the main thing : )

I have read that there are issues in Win 7, Win 8. & Win 8.1 installing mods, if SH4 is in Program Files(86) or Program Files.

If you ever need to re-install again, please consider making that extra folder on the root C:\ and tell the installer, that's where you want it.

Maybe that's impossible running Steam - I wouldn't know..... anyway,

Happy Hunting!
Wouldn't say got it as it then went back to the same problem the next time I played it. But trying what you said and is having steam install it in a folder outside program files.

Also I do not install games on the c drive More for the fact I purposely got a small drive for windows to use while my other hard drive is the biggest one for games since they take a lot of space to install and such. . I keep that strictly windows related stuff. I have my games installed on a seperate hard drive made for games and such. But it still had program file folder but now having it install outside the program folder so now it looks like this H:\ steam\SH4.

Also Thanks for your help in this matter. Very helpful.
Old 09-12-14, 06:06 PM   #1137
aanker
Pacific Thunder

This is puzzling - I did a search for "site:subsim.com Steam SH4" on Google and a number of results came up.

It may be a problem with Steam updating SH4 after RFB is installed which is bad. This thread my be of help-interest:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=167206

specifically post #17 however 1 - 16 are important to skim...... post #6

May need to start un-modded a few times, career, single mission, museum, etc so Steam installs all of its little updates.

Check out that thread and see if it makes sense to you.
Old 09-13-14, 12:15 AM   #1138
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Quote:
This is puzzling - I did a search for "site:subsim.com Steam SH4" on Google and a number of results came up.

It may be a problem with Steam updating SH4 after RFB is installed which is bad. This thread my be of help-interest:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=167206

specifically post #17 however 1 - 16 are important to skim...... post #6

May need to start un-modded a few times, career, single mission, museum, etc so Steam installs all of its little updates.

Check out that thread and see if it makes sense to you.

Well did what some of them said and nope. No such luck. All files verified the first time and second time I ran it. But it still runs into the same problem. So looks like its no mod for me.

Thou might just say dang it and find the disc copy of the gold edition of the game and use that instead of the one on steam.

Last edited by silverdragon41; 09-13-14 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 11:32 AM   #1139
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon41 View Post
Well did what some of them said and nope. No such luck. All files verified the first time and second time I ran it. But it still runs into the same problem. So looks like its no mod for me.

Thou might just say dang it and find the disc copy of the gold edition of the game and use that instead of the one on steam.
Bummer - I ran another search, : "site:subsim.com Steam SH4 RFB" and the results don't look very promising for Steam & Super mods like RFB & TMO... someone has no interior textures for example.
You're probably right, find a Gold DVD. The modded SH4 is an outstanding 'simulation' and worth every nickel, IMO......

Just checked on Amazon and I got this result searching for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition":
Quote:
Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition - PC $29.99
Only 20 left in stock--order soon. Offered by FunFactory.
8 Used & New from $19.75
... which is higher than I expected - but a whole lot less than I paid when it first came out in 2008:

$49.95 +/- for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific 1.0" plus
$9.95 +/- for the 1.5 "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions" 'add-on' ......
and the 'heartaches' of patching the original 1.0 failure to 1.1 to 1.2, to playable 1.3, then finally 1.4 which still needed work, to the final 1.5 patch - err 'add-on' that cost money. : )
- $29.99 doesn't look so bad after all.

Throw in some other item from Amazon to go over their $35.00 free shipping order and it ships for free. Need a soldering iron? - ha!

Maybe someone will chime in with a fix for Steam and compatibility issues with the Super Mods, but so far they haven't from what I've read.

Let us know how you make out,

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by aanker; 09-13-14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 11:37 AM   #1140
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Quote:
Bummer - I ran another search, : "site:subsim.com Steam SH4 RFB" and the results don't look very promising for Steam & Super mods like RFB & TMO... someone has no interior textures for example.
You're probably right, find a Gold DVD. The modded SH4 is an outstanding 'simulation' and worth every nickel, IMO......

Just checked on Amazon from the link to Amazon at the top of this Subsim page and I got this result searching for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition":

... which is higher than I expected - but a whole lot less than I paid when it first came out in 2008:

$49.95 +/- for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific 1.0" plus
$9.95 +/- for the 1.5 "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions" 'add-on' ......
and the 'heartaches' of patching the original 1.0 failure to 1.2, to playable 1.3, then finally 1.4 which still needed work, to the final 1.5 patch - err 'add-on' that cost money. : )
- $29.99 doesn't look so bad after all.

Throw in some other item from Amazon to go over their $35.00 free shipping order and it ships for free. Need a soldering iron? - ha!

Maybe someone will chime in with a fix for Steam and compatibility issues with the Super Mods, but so far they haven't from what I've read.

Let us know how you make out,

Happy Hunting!
Thanks. Yeah found it on Amazon already but doing the digital download which still be the same thing since its not going to be tied to steam. Thats what matters here.

P.S. Well so far seem sot be working. It work fine after going in and out of the game so far. So seems I be able to enjoy this mod. So a warning to all who use steam for games like these. Mod at your own risk and just because you modded other games on steam doesn't mean it will work for all games. Found that out just now.

Last edited by silverdragon41; 09-13-14 at 02:00 PM.