SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-12, 07:49 AM   #271
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down
As for simplicity, nothing can beat the Easy Aob mod. Be able to spin the ship's dials when inputting a target's course was a huge break through.
I like simplicity too. Nothing more simplistic than looking at a blip on the radar screen and determining it's bearing/range just by knowing which range scale the radar is set by. It's not going to give you an accurate measurement down to the last yard, but I don't think the real life equipment did either.

As far as determining AoB with the Omnimeter, it's a matter of working within the same restraints the original slide rule had. If a reading is off the scale, you simply cut in half the sum and work with that figure, remembering to double the found sum when it's used against the AoB scale. You should also be plotting the targets course on the navigation map and determine AoB with the tools there. Both combined make for a check/recheck type of determination for AoB. A determination, that for the most part, would have been done using your eye to attain the perceived angle (a problem we can't overcome when we look at a 2 dimensional screen, trying to make a 3 dimensional observation).

I'm not aware that the stock "Attack Data Tool" game dials weren't available to be turned to input data. The AoB dial works the same, with or without the Easy AoB mod. Once a targets AoB is determined, you simply turn the dial to the angle estimate, and send the data to the TDC/Position Keeper to set the gyro angle. What's simpler than that?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:33 AM   #272
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I'm not aware that the stock "Attack Data Tool" game dials weren't available to be turned to input data. The AoB dial works the same, with or without the Easy AoB mod. Once a targets AoB is determined, you simply turn the dial to the angle estimate, and send the data to the TDC/Position Keeper to set the gyro angle. What's simpler than that?
I think what imgoingdown means is that, with Easy AoB, when you turn the dial to the angle estimate, the TDC dial turns in tandem. This means you don't have to click on the Send Data button to update it - once the TDC dial points to the ship's bearing, you give it a click so the changes "take", so to speak, and that's it. Slight change to how it works, but really makes a difference (btw, I've managed to incorporate Easy AoB with OTC just fine - quite easy to do with WinMerge).

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:55 AM   #273
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Ok, so the TDC/Position Keeper dial turns with the AoB dial. I'm assuming its the upper, inner most dial of the Position Keeper. No need to "send" anything, it's already set to the target heading with the angle on bow you've estimated.

So, what makes the difference? Just the fact of not striking the "send" button to set the projected target heading?

Sorry to be so dense about this, but am I missing something else?

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 04-12-12, 01:31 PM   #274
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

I think Dr. Beast is close, if not right on the money. With the Easy Aob, you adjust to Aob dial on the Attack Dial to match the target course on the ships' dials screen. When you make the adjustment, the target ship's dial on the TDC screen (i.e. the ships' dials screen) will adjust to the target's corresponding course setting. Click the "send" button on the Attack Dial, and viola, the target's course in entered in the TDC.

The fact that the ship's dial adjusts when you move the Aob dial on the Attack Dials is what the Easy Aob brought to the game. It makes adjusting or correctking the Aob much simpler than before, when the ship's dial would not move until the you adjusted the Aob and clicked the send button on the Attack Dials. It is simplier, because you can tell from observing the setting on the ships' dials screen that you have input the correct course by the target's heading on the target ship's dial screen.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 03:59 PM   #275
DrBeast
The Old Man

The Easy AoB mod thread is located here, along with the expanded version of this mod which adds functionality to the Speed and Range dials, as well. I think you'll find the modification to the Range dial of particular interest to you, Captain, since there's no longer need for an extra dial to input the range - this can be done with the existing dial just fine, and it only involves making a few adjustments to the Dials.cfg file.

Old 04-12-12, 06:07 PM   #276
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
The Easy AoB mod thread is located here, along with the expanded version of this mod which adds functionality to the Speed and Range dials, as well. I think you'll find the modification to the Range dial of particular interest to you, Captain, since there's no longer need for an extra dial to input the range - this can be done with the existing dial just fine, and it only involves making a few adjustments to the Dials.cfg file.
The "expanded" version link is broken.

I do have a couple of comments regarding the use of the stock Range dial on the Attack Data Tool. First off, it's too small. Second its not accurate. Set it on the 220 yard setting and you get 149 on the PK. The reason I've got a larger, separate Range dial is because of these two problems. It's easier to set and it's accurate.

Another thing about using the Attack Data Tool for setting height when using it for a stadimeter reading. The dial only goes up to 130 ft. What are you going to do if you run up on the Ise BB with a mast height of 164 ft?? You'll have to go into the Recognition Manual and "send" the Ise ID from there to have the stadimeter set up for the actual targets mast height. Might as well do that at the very beginning rather than trying to set the Attack Data Tool height marker.

Again, I don't see the value in moving the Position Keeper upper target dial without using the "send" button?! What's the difference? Both ways, your influencing the gyro angle (although this isn't the only item that effects the gyro angle) of the torpedo. With the Easy AoB way you don't use the "send" button; the other way you do. In both instances, you'll get the targets projected heading shown on the Position Keepers upper dial (as long as you know where to read it). I just don't see where this is a "game changer" for manual targeting.

Quote:
Old 04-12-12, 06:19 PM   #277
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

where it affects the game is as follows. Before you plotted the target's course. Then you made and an adjustment to the Aob dial, and sent the adjustment to the TDC by clicking the send button. Then you read the target ship's dials to see if you had the target course input correctly. If not, you have to re enter the solution.

With the Easy Aob you can see course on the ship's dials before you click the send button. It is a simpler process because you know what course the TDC will generate when you click the send button. It may sound stupid, but the mod simplified the data entry by making it easier and more certain. If you don't think it is a big deal, then we have a difference of opinion.

The stadimeter readings and ship's heights issues: I belive you when you say they are screwed up in the stock game. You have spent more time on the issue than more than 99% of us.
Old 04-12-12, 07:21 PM   #278
DrBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Again, I don't see the value in moving the Position Keeper upper target dial without using the "send" button?! What's the difference? Both ways, your influencing the gyro angle (although this isn't the only item that effects the gyro angle) of the torpedo. With the Easy AoB way you don't use the "send" button; the other way you do. In both instances, you'll get the targets projected heading shown on the Position Keepers upper dial (as long as you know where to read it). I just don't see where this is a "game changer" for manual targeting.
Think of it as applying a filter to a photograph, and Easy AoB being the equivalent of Preview. Without it, you cannot see the effect of the filter until after you've applied it. With it, you see exactly how your photograph will look like, make your adjustments, and when you're happy with the results you just click on Apply.

Old 04-12-12, 08:33 PM   #279
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
Think of it as applying a filter to a photograph, and Easy AoB being the equivalent of Preview. Without it, you cannot see the effect of the filter until after you've applied it. With it, you see exactly how your photograph will look like, make your adjustments, and when you're happy with the results you just click on Apply.
Dr.Beast -- you nailed it. (I am not playing SH4. I am not captain of a US sub. I am a photographer!--just kidding.)
Old 04-15-12, 08:06 AM   #280
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Ok, I see what your saying. Guess I've always looked at it differently.

Going back to my SHIII days I've always figured a target heading using my AoB Calculator and/or nav map plot. The calculator being a hand held device, I never saw the potential in using the Position Keeper upper "target" dial to do the same calculation (least wise not "before" sending the information to the PK/TDC). As described, you can use the PK target dial without using the "send" button and still get an estimated target heading.

It's important to note, the Position Keeper is just an extension of the TDC (in a condensed form). With the Easy AoB mod, what is "set" on the PK is being inputted directly to the torpedo gyro angle, with or without the "send" button. What you read on the PK is what you'll get for a torpedo track. Without the mod, the "send" button has the potential purpose of acting like a "fail safe" measure for the torpedo track (you'll not set the PK with the latest information untill after sending the information). Either way, the results the same. The torpedo is no smarter than the data that's inputted, and/or shown on the PK, just before firing.

Quote:
Old 08-03-14, 07:47 AM   #281
jakisdziad
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

If you call your mod Ship_Centered_Accuracy_Fix people expect to get mod that fix the ship centred accuracy. If you want to sell your car, people expect that they will buy a car, not a jet.

Here you can get a stripped version of Ship_Centered_Accuracy_Fix Stock 1.5 that you can implement to ANY other mod through JSGME without ANY collision with other mod that does not change anything related to ships dds and cfg files in sea folder. Stripped of changes in: manual cover, gauges, loading screen, after loading screen text, medals, optical devices, HUD, nomograph etc...

(all mod credit to creator CapnScurvy I just deleted all not needed junk that he implemented with it)
jakisdziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 02:37 PM   #282
Agrippa
Seaman

Downloads: 81
Default RFB 2.0?

So this is an incredibly old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using this with Real Fleet Boat 2.0 yet. Since there isn't a specific version of it for RFB, I would assume that to try it out, one would just install the stock version. Anyone tried this?
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote