Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 11-01-08, 12:27 PM   #1
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default New ROF screens

Really nice!!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...2604449/1.html
http://riseofflight.com/blog/Blogs/O...-producer.aspx

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 11-01-08 at 12:29 PM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 12:42 PM   #2
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Here is the link to the english blog .. well, I don't understand a single thing he's saying :hmm: , but I am stupid anyway :

http://riseofflight.com/blog/Blogs/O...spx?lang=en-US

Quote:
The most good news is the fact of the ending of work on a graphic part of the project. It seems to me that this work turned out quite a whole and, hopefully, interesting. From this point on efforts of artists in it will already add last elements. On the artistic point of view f a small refinement of clouds, edit lighting, depending on time of day, a correction of some textures of objects to the terms of HDR lighting are waiting for us. Work on game objects is continued, a model of damage to buildings is setting up, texture rail and ground transportation, models and cockpit are drawing. Refactoring of FX effects is going, thanks to the efforts of programmers, artists were able to make them more interesting. . Much work is being done on the network game. There has already begun testing, but errors are still a lot and to say something specific is early. Import GUI in the project is begun, work on the generator of missions for "the Open-cast mine" mode is going at the full speed, is trained in AI. There is adjustment setting flight and technical characteristics of planes. All these elements are very interesting and we will necessarily tell about them in detail in following posts.
Nice, random mission generator is in, but what does he mean with "open-cast mine mode"?

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 11-01-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-01-08, 12:58 PM   #3
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Stunning details thats for sure

HunterICX
Old 11-01-08, 01:00 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Nice

So, when does this come out?

Oh, and I hope they get a better translator when the game comes out...

Last edited by Raptor1; 11-01-08 at 01:09 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 02:22 PM   #5
kenijaru
Weps

Downloads: 0

"Free: Newport 28, Albatros D5. Also you will be able to get two new planes at the day of release for additional payment - Spad XIII, Fokker DVII. Further we plan to let out 1-2 new planes in a month (preliminary)"

he didn't say... or did he?
i hate it when people try to make money selling games in a "piece by piece" fashion
kenijaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 02:26 PM   #6
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenijaru
"Free: Newport 28, Albatros D5. Also you will be able to get two new planes at the day of release for additional payment - Spad XIII, Fokker DVII. Further we plan to let out 1-2 new planes in a month (preliminary)"

i hate it when people try to make money selling games in a "piece by piece" fashion
That...thoroughly sucks, and the Albatros D.V is an aweful aircraft as it is...

Last edited by Raptor1; 11-01-08 at 02:27 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 03:56 AM   #7
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenijaru

Ease down a little bit, guys. What it means is basically you will pay a little more than the usual 50$ for this game. I have been saying for years that in order to see quality products in niche markets, we must be willing to pay, 100, 200 or even 300 $, if you don't want that head directly over to the big publishers and their crap.

Let's say I have a budget for this game, if it's e.g. 100$ I will be able to buy additional content for 2-4 years. Of course I expect a great product for this price, if the game has no longevity I won't buy it at all. But the plan would work for me if I can play the game for many years.

Remember, this is the first really promising WW1 flight sim in many many years, and no major publisher will touch that genre (sim a la RB) any more.

Old 11-02-08, 04:15 AM   #8
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Let me add I rather don't understand the choice of planes. The Nieuport 28? Why not the 17 or 24?? Next will be SPAD and Fokker DVII. No mention of British planes, wouldn't they be most popular in the important US / english speaking markets? Fine if they please the French and the Germans, but it would be much better to release plane packs in three's, either by period (one plane each for Germany, France and Britain) or by nation (all planes for one nation in one set), some people will never fly for another country (stupid but matter of fact).

Old 11-02-08, 04:17 AM   #9
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Or sell the planes one by one, that way everyone can get the ones he really wants.

Old 11-02-08, 04:35 AM   #10
sergbuto
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 15

Impressive. Ironicly the water in this flight simulator looks to be 100 times better than f.e. in the upcoming Jutland naval simulator.

Last edited by sergbuto; 11-02-08 at 04:36 AM.
sergbuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 06:26 AM   #11
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Let me add I rather don't understand the choice of planes. The Nieuport 28? Why not the 17 or 24?? Next will be SPAD and Fokker DVII. No mention of British planes, wouldn't they be most popular in the important US / english speaking markets? Fine if they please the French and the Germans, but it would be much better to release plane packs in three's, either by period (one plane each for Germany, France and Britain) or by nation (all planes for one nation in one set), some people will never fly for another country (stupid but matter of fact).
Or the Albatros D.V, which was basically obsolete by the time it entered service and was in many ways worse than the D.III

I think you can only play Germany and the US in the game (That would explain the Nieuport 28)
Old 11-02-08, 08:54 AM   #12
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Ease down a little bit, guys. What it means is basically you will pay a little more than the usual 50$ for this game.
No, it means you pay 50$ for an Empty game.
it's like if FSX juts gives you 2 meaningless aircraft and for the rest you have to take out your wallet an pay for every aircraft added to the game.

they are making a big mistake here, that I can tell.
no one is going to be overjoyed to see this comming knowin they have to pay EXTRA for every pair of aircraft and then the question ''what are they charging for it?'' I'll guess a 10$ ~ 20$

they should take a different aproach IMO, like give us a pack of the early Aircraft to start with the 1915 - 1916 ones.

and perhaps then you can charge for a online Aircraft pack for the late year aircraft and perhaps more variants of the early ones.

but if it's true and they give you 2 aircraft and for every pair you have to pay for it...as good as it looks I skip out on this one and consider on getting Phase III of OFF.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 11-02-08 at 08:55 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 10:33 PM   #13
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Maybe someone will put the files for the DVII and the others up on FileFront... if you catch my drift.

Anyway, it's looking spectacular. Has anyone seen shots of the character models? Here's one:

Beautiful. This has got Over Flanders Fields beat by a mile.

I wonder if they'll have parachutes in the game (for the Germans). They began issuing their pilots Hencke Chutes in mid 1918. Imagine how cool that would be, especially with the air particles physics. You'd have to bail out correctly if you wanted your chute to open properly (adding another cool gameplay element to your experience). For the Entente, they could simply have the character fall to his death, flailing and spinning towards the ground (they did not issue their pilots parachutes since the Allied High Command feared it would cause fliers to lose courage and abandon a perfectly good airplane; this costed the lives of many great aviators).
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 04:17 AM   #14
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
Maybe someone will put the files for the DVII and the others up on FileFront... if you catch my drift.
I dont think that would be that easy, I'll bet those devs figured out how to prevent it.
also who's so generous to pay for a plane and then share it anyway.
you dont see that happen a lot in FS games.

my guess also is that these planes are made and published by the Devs only.
if thats the case, you can say goodbye to modding the game as it probally will be locked down to prevent 3th party modders to mod aircraft in it.

for now the game looks nice, but there is little news about the any campaign given their key features of their homepage.
but instead something like this is noted:
The opportunity to play with many players from all over the world in one game space

so what I'm expecting now is that the game offers a skirmish mode/single player missions (maybe) and a big online play world.
just to be crude, a Sandbox game with a MP feature.
I had high expectations for this game, but that has dropped a lot for now.

Quote:
Beautiful. This has got Over Flanders Fields beat by a mile.
In graphical Terms yes
In Single player? I've yet to see what ROF offers but till now nothing about any Campaign.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 11-04-08 at 04:20 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 04:22 AM   #15
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Even if they released 2 planes a month for free, it would take you about a year to build up enough to make a decent campaign