Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-27-08, 04:06 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

New benchmark in flight simming!

http://www.xheli.com/e4chflsitrki.html

What a plethora of knobs and controls. Probably a catalyst for burn-out syndrome.

I can imagne to run around in dispair for hours, crying: "I can't find the knob, I can't find the button!"
Old 05-27-08, 04:11 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Okay, serious now. This is the real stuff:

http://rcflightsim.com/

As you see, a plethora of knobs and controls. you really could run around for hours, desperately searching for the knob and the button.

Video on the site worth to be watched.

P.S.

Or watch these:

Pitts Special in Fremont RC Club
ShockFlier Extra 300 Indoor
ShockFlier Extra 300 Outdoor
HiddenMountain Lake
Raptor 90
Old 05-27-08, 04:29 AM   #3
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

Kinda funny these RC's, I like 'em
Tried to built one when I was 13 but it never flew. I'm thinking to give it another try.
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 04:34 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Me too, with the second package. :hmm: 40 dollars translates into 25 Euros currently - sounds like a fair deal. will use the trial option first.
Old 05-27-08, 04:49 AM   #5
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

Yeah sounds fair, but near where I live, is a shop with RCs, I'll ask him if he has any "built it yourself" kits first.
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 04:55 AM   #6
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

I'm planning to do RC models one day, but I would start with a cheap prebuild aircraft just to learn the basic off flying it.

HunterICX
Old 05-27-08, 04:57 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Tried the trial of the second package. Works and looks nice, but be warned everybody: with my logitech dual action gamepad, controls were lightsyears to sensitive: I zigzagged for a few sends before I hit something. such solutions only work if you have the software to drastically reduce sensitivity of your device, or attach an orginal RC control box to the sim.

It seems to be a sim indeed, of RC models. Seen that way even a very sophisticated sim, probably.
Old 05-27-08, 10:07 AM   #8
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I must get my ROFLcopter out again this year, a little plastic job it's a bit light in the nose (will be rectified with some copper coins) but does the job nicely, right up until there's a breath of wind and it goes veering off course, forcing me to land it. There's not much in the way of direction control at the moment, hence the extra weight in the nose, but she's fun!
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 03:53 PM   #9
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

I built an RC Fokker DR.1 and painted it yellow in honor of Erich Loewenhardt, but after about 30 times of flying it and never checking it, the entire upper wing and part of the middle left wing broke off, and it plummeted into the ground from about 400 feet. Smashed to pieces, so repair was pretty much a waste of time. Never did go back to the hobby after that.

I've thought about building a few more RC planes, but I've never actually done so. The main problem I have with them is the lack of perspective. I need an on-board camera to be mounted inside the plane so I can see where I'm going and make more precise calculations as to height, distance, etc. rather than relying on these things by the blink of an eye. I've thought about buying a pup-cam to mount on it. The greatest thing about these babies is that you can see where you're going by having the camera signal go to a computer monitor that you might have.

Demonstration of the pup-cam:

For a few years now, I've also considered just forgetting about RC planes and actually taking up flying for leisure. I'm looking into taking flying lessons over the summer, but I don't know if I will or not. The lessons are expensive, and I've also had a planned trip to Germany. However, one of the two is going to have to go down the tubes.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 04:05 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

I spend some time this evening to check RC simulations, and find a couple of them, some of which seem to be extremely realistic and are said to be used by world professionals in real RC flying to train instead of risking their expensive "playtoys". the real professional ones are using the control units of the real thing that is cinnected via adapter to the simulation, and offer fotorealistic grafics.

Download and install the ClearView installation that I have olinked above. It has a trial time. when starting the sim, go to the menu bar on top and select "demo", which gives you a fullscreen recording of two flights, a plane indoor amongst them which is spectacular, and photorealistic. As I said above, just don't expect to be able to fly this by a gamepad - gamepads are like trying to focus a microscope by using a huge hammer on the focussing wheel.

There is an even "better" sim out there, which costs a hefty 200 dollars, which they quote to be the best there is. The price is what it is because the special RC controller (the huge thing you see in the pics) is included, a replica of real RC controllers being used in real life.

Before ruining several pricey models in real life while still learning to control these fast, agile beasts, or before trying out new stunts, checking you skills with these tools definitely sounds like a reasonable and clever option.

http://www.realflight.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770999

advert video, showing the hardware as well:

Realflight videos:

Clearview videos:

Böh - I started this thread more joking than being serious - and now I find myself seriously interested...!?
Old 05-27-08, 04:09 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
I built an RC Fokker DR.1 and painted it yellow in honor of Erich Loewenhardt
It was not Loewenhardt but Löwenherz, and his first name was not Erich (that was the viking), but Richard. :p

Quote:
The main problem I have with them is the lack of perspective. I need an on-board camera to be mounted inside the plane so I can see where I'm going and make more precise calculations as to height, distance, etc.
Note by the videos that RealFlight seem to offer something like that.