SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-10, 03:55 AM   #841
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
How do you know that the Red October in THFRO didn't have a towed array? Maybe it was just never deployed as Soviet Naval Doctrine was to conserve extending TA until on a search mission as to cut back on equipment wear/tear/maintence.... hm...... Any platform sophisticated enough to have a waterfall would probably be sophisticated enough to have a TA.

I don't think the engine thrust/speed vs sound level artictexture is malleable enough for a two part propulsion system. Perhaps one could manipulate the snorkel function to serve as a 'silent drive off' button (and allowing higher speeds), but that would be tricky... otherwise it would be nice, and perhaps would be useful is modeling "silent speed" in some of the other platforms (speed below which the coolant pumps are off).

Questions for the RA team:
1. Is there a maximum dept for which MAD sensors won't detect a submarine. In the gameplay currently it doesn't appear to be one.

2. I'm curious of why the RA team modeled TLAM the way they did (with on/off radar searches). All the open source info I'm seen bascially has TLAMS working with GPS/inertialnavigation/surface mapping, not active radar searching. Can the group point to the sources of info?

1. The maximal depth MAD detect within the limits of 250 meters (helo mad).
Below MAD does not find out.

2. GPS adheres missile to system to a digital coordinate grid.
Earlier, at absence of system GPG, the TLAM should come on a coast, is strict in the certain points - for attachment to a digital coordinate grid (recollect 688H/K - the coordinate point of an entrance on ground) was always given at strike order.
At presents GPS it not became necessary - missile always receives the data about exact location.

The radar sensor employment for final (precision) aiming at target.
Old 01-25-10, 05:13 AM   #842
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
How about we let them focus on REAL WORLD subs and quit worrying about make believe ones?

no. The Red October is a status symbol. C'mon nobody seriously plays DW without at least having though of recreating a Red October scenario.
A modern subsim without the RO is like a WWII subsim without Uboats.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 04:09 AM   #843
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

I'd rather have a playable Skipjack, Oberon or a Type 209 instead of yet another variant of the Typhoon.

O dare I ask for....a Nautilus

Seriously though I love the mod and have nothing but respect for the makers! Whatever you have is store is goingt o be awesome!

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 10:42 AM   #844
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Quote:

Seriously though I love the mod and have nothing but respect for the makers! Whatever you have is store is goingt o be awesome!
Oh, Nautilus....Yes. Any of the American nuclear legendary boats of old (The first Seawolf, and USS Halibut).

Agree with you regarding the mod makers.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:11 PM   #845
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
I'd rather have a playable Skipjack, Oberon or a Type 209 instead of yet another variant of the Typhoon.

Nautilus! My old boat!!!

Old 01-26-10, 06:54 PM   #846
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols View Post
Nautilus! My old boat!!!

Excellent election!!!

USS Nautilus!!!!

And for the russians, an Echo or a Charlie Class.

Regards

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 03:59 PM   #847
Captain Sub
Gunner

Downloads: 8

Dear folks,

I have a question regarding the nature of RA mod.

Is it an add-on in a sense that it doesn't modifie but only add content or does it change behaviour of original content?

thanks
Captain Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 08:07 PM   #848
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sub View Post
Dear folks,

I have a question regarding the nature of RA mod.

Is it an add-on in a sense that it doesn't modifie but only add content or does it change behaviour of original content?

thanks
The mod add content (new drivable units in air and sea, new weapons), and it change some aspects of the game, about the weapons and difficulty of the missions (those are more realistics and more difficult to play). The mod have some "bugs", too. Please, read the posts of this forum and the official forum in Red Rogers (http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912) for a complete discussion of the goodies and the "buggies" of the RA 1.0 mod.

Now, all we are watching the RA 1.1, with more units, more weapons and best playability.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 08:00 PM   #849
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GrayOwl- View Post
1. The maximal depth MAD detect within the limits of 250 meters (helo mad).
Below MAD does not find out.
Does that apply to P3-Orion and all AI ASW MADs as well?

Also. Can the RA team publish the starting SL of each of the Sub platforms as well as they're maximum SL at max speed?

On an unrelated note. Has the RA team considered improving CM gameplay? One bug I've noticed is that CM don't rise or fall to there assigned depts fast enough. Can they be modded so that they rise or fall fast enough to be useful (ie they could drift past sonar layers). Perhaps even more sophisticated and individualized CM behavior could be introduced as well.

Once again, great mod. The entire community is appreciative.
Old 02-02-10, 04:29 AM   #850
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Is it possible to add the battery capacity for the diesel sub such as the Kilo SSK? At default the battery drains too fast leaving only a few hours of submerged time...which is ridiculous even if it's meant for gameplay . . .screw gameplay give us real battery . . .
Old 02-02-10, 01:18 PM   #851
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Is it possible to add the battery capacity for the diesel sub such as the Kilo SSK? At default the battery drains too fast leaving only a few hours of submerged time...which is ridiculous even if it's meant for gameplay . . .screw gameplay give us real battery . . .
What do you mean at default ? Going at 5 knots gives you a tremendous amount of autonomy. I doubt in real life a sub that uses standard batteries could go on for days at 10-15-20 knots.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 06:19 PM   #852
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
What do you mean at default ? Going at 5 knots gives you a tremendous amount of autonomy. I doubt in real life a sub that uses standard batteries could go on for days at 10-15-20 knots.
I didn't mean for high speeds
At 5-7 knots the default Kilo battery would only last hours . . .I believe.
In RL I believe a modern(post WWII) electric boats can stay submerged much longer even the foxtrot could probably stay submerged for a couple days at low speeds.

Isn't it ridiculous that a Gato class submarine battery in SHIV could last longer than a a DW Kilo battery?

For example playing the Kilo for three hours or so at slow speeds(<7 knots) would deplete the battery more than 10%-20% so that gives an endurance of maximum 6-30 hours at slow speeds...the foxtrot could stay submerged much longer than that at slow speeds . . .
Old 02-02-10, 09:49 PM   #853
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

could be bad batterys it is russia after all but I agree with you, I remember seeing somewhere that the kilo averaged about 72 hrs before having to recharge her battery running less than 4 knots
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 03:38 AM   #854
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Wood View Post
could be bad batterys it is russia after all but I agree with you, I remember seeing somewhere that the kilo averaged about 72 hrs before having to recharge her battery running less than 4 knots
Talk about joke I remember one time playing DW with DWX online...I shot a few number of Anti ship missiles at my adversary and all of them went off course . . . .and not knowing this my online adversary kind of teased me that all of my missiles didn't hit him and that I failed....

and then I said to him "I didn't fail, Russian technology did" .
Oh how I was pissed when the missiles went off course. The same thing happened to a few of the torpedoes too....some even veered off more than 90 degrees.....wait a minute that's not veering off that's going into a whole new direction
Old 02-03-10, 03:29 PM   #855
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Actually... if the battery life was extended to very long levels it would be a good model for AIP. As it is right now the RA AIP model is really just a nuke reactor with a 20 kt speed limit. Would it be possible to keep the Diseal/battery model, but use a ultra long range batter to simulate hydrogen power. It would take some hacking of the code though I think.

Tags
reinforce alert