SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-17, 05:27 PM   #1
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
Default Red Storm Rising FREE ROAM mod

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5283

The year is 1987.
7 Young Octobrists have been murdered in a terrorist attack at the Kremlin.
Evidence points to a West German national.
The Soviet Union is very angry...

And so it begins!
Germany gets invaded. Iceland falls.

You, as a sub commander, have 1 primary mission: rid the map of Soviet naval contacts.
Sink as much as you can, and return to base if you need more torps. Tonnage is almost all that matters.

Almost? Yes. Almost, because if you have enough tonnage, then you have to launch a SEAL team. This SEAL team will discover key targets to take down Soviet leadership and initiate a coup.
So once the Soviet Navy is sufficiently incapacitated and you have inserted the SEALs, you have to strike the final blow and take down the Politburo itself.
Then the Soviet Union might even pull out of the war.
________

I made the above mod by taking the 1984 and eliminating all missions except the Seal insertion mission. This is a mission that lasts 150 days. I also increased the tonnage scoring.
So you have to sink quite a few ships and once you have enough, you can insert the SEALs. If you have the right amount of victory points then, you can do the final mission: a Land Strike.

In the mean time you will encounter subs, surface groups, replenishment groups, SSBNs etc.

You have to sink a lot to win, but you will not get missions along the way. Just sink ships.

And yes the story line and images are edited to reflect the RSR story.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-11-17 at 03:25 PM.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 05:36 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The year is 1987.

And so it begins!

You, as a sub commander, have 1 primary mission: rid the map of Soviet naval contacts.
Sink as much as you can, and return to base if you need more torps. Tonnage is almost all that matters.

Almost? Yes. Almost, because if you have enough tonnage, then you have to launch a SEAL team. This SEAL team will discover key targets to take down Soviet leadership and initiate a coup.
So once the Soviet Navy is sufficiently incapacitated and you have inserted the SEALs, you have to strike the final blow and take down the Politburo itself.
________

I made the above mod by taking the 1984 and eliminating all missions except the Seal insertion mission. This is a mission that lasts 150 days. I also increased the tonnage scoring.
So you have to sink quite a few ships and once you have enough, you can insert the SEALs. If you have the right amount of victory points then, you can do the final mission: a Land Strike.

In the mean time you will encounter subs, surface groups, replenishment groups, SSBNs etc.

You have to sink a lot to win, but you will not get missions along the way. Just sink ships.

[once I am allowed to upload, it will appear in the download list ]
Looks great man, I plan on giving this a look when I can, I'm hoping to make some sort of long, boring "Boomer Survival" mission / campaign where you're just supposed to stay on station and un-detected for the whole time, not sure how to incentivise it to work / reward the player for doing nothing, but hopefully that can be figured out.

I don't mean to put disrespect on the brave guys who go out on missile patrols but, I imagine the average patrol is a lot like that troll game they made about the ICBM silo where the main point is that you just monotonously stare at the missile console and wait for a message that never comes.
Old 08-15-17, 06:30 PM   #3
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I like the premise!
Old 08-17-17, 06:58 AM   #4
Skyhigh
A-ganger

It's there!

You can download from http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=5283

Feedback is appreciated
Old 08-17-17, 09:38 AM   #5
Fercyful
Medic

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Thanks! Downloading now
Old 08-18-17, 12:46 AM   #6
Skyhigh
A-ganger

AAARGH!

First ever mod I make and it contained a silly bug.

It has been fixed now so you need to re-download the file.

(or: copy the campaign001/mission folder into campaign003/mission *without* overwriting files).
Old 08-18-17, 08:52 AM   #7
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The year is 1987.

And so it begins!

________

[once I am allowed to upload, it will appear in the download list ]
Thats like the best idea for mission ever!

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:57 AM   #8
GDFTigerTank
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Has anybody successfully installed this campaign on top of the CaptainX3's Playable Subs mod without things breaking? I'd like to give this a try but really enjoying a 1984 campaign run in an Ohio right now.

On a side note, the Ohio SSGN is hands down the closest thing in this game to Moby Dick.
GDFTigerTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 02:03 PM   #9
phelan1777
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'll give this a go when I get home in about 3 hours. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-19-17, 07:42 AM   #10
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFTigerTank View Post
Has anybody successfully installed this campaign on top of the CaptainX3's Playable Subs mod without things breaking? I'd like to give this a try but really enjoying a 1984 campaign run in an Ohio right now.

On a side note, the Ohio SSGN is hands down the closest thing in this game to Moby Dick.
It works fine for me. But I always install mods line-for-line, so I make sure everything works.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 09:07 AM   #11
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Quote:

I do not know if the Playable Subs mod contains a campaign or not.

The RSR Free Roam mod *only* installs a campaign plus a config.txt file.
If it gives trouble, do not copy the config.txt file into the override folder. It is not that crucial actually. It gives you less campaign score, but that is not an issue really, if you don't care about ending the campaign and just want to sink ships to no end.
Old 08-19-17, 01:28 PM   #12
Grondag
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Yep

Quote:

Yep, I managed to merge them. It's really fun! It really is nice to not have specific orders until the final SEAL and TLAM missions. Not sure if there are plans to merge them officially...
Old 08-20-17, 06:18 PM   #13
BlackOut2k11
Nub

Downloads: 4

Merged with Playable Subs and save games don't work, can't select it from the load list.

Edit, NVM didn't realize you had to select campaign before clicking load. *facepalm*
BlackOut2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 06:19 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

BlackOut2k11!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 06:32 AM   #15
Lynx38195
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9

Merge with Playable Subs worked for me as well.

Just copy the payable subs and objects from Playable Subs into the campaign summary of Freeroam.

Modern subs seem to be a bit OP though, it would be nice to have some more difficulty when playing a Seawolf for example.
Also I found the main soviet ports to be protected by only 3 merchant ships twice. It would be more challenging if there would be warships and subs guarding the port.

Thanks for the mod, had hours of fun with it so far.
Lynx38195 is offline   Reply With Quote