SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-12, 01:51 PM   #676
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Hi everyone.

Well, its been a long time, over 2 years in fact, sine I last played SH3 and I've decided to come back to it after suffering SH5 for a few months.

I have previously used GWX and WAC but this time I would like to try out NYGM. Would one of you kindly check the procedure I followed as I'm having a few concerns with the install routine? Cheers.

1 - A couple of days ago I did a fresh install of SH3 then installed the EMEA 1.4b patch. I then launched the game once to get the SH3 folder created in the My Documents directory.

2 - JSGME was then added with a MODS folder created in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII

3 - I downloaded all the required files from here: http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/ and extracted them into separate directories.

4 - In JSGME I added the folders in this order:

EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT

After listing my previous JSGME mod list I have now changed it to the following:

a - NYGM Tonnage War 2.5 - Stand Alone Version
b - NYGM3_New
c - NYGM3_6A
d - Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2 (Full download)
e - 3rd Flotilla Mod (From NYGM3_6A)
f - NYGM HiRes Submarines
g - MaGui F
h - MaGui F FIX for NYGM3.4
i - optional-stopwatch with speed lines for MaGui F
j - Restore Gods Eye View
k - Harbour Traffic Add-In From NYGM3_6A

There were several overwrite warnings but I assume it was OK to proceed?

So far, so good (hopefully).

When it comes to the last step of "Stiebler3A_V16B1_Addon" I'm at a bit of a loss with this. Guess my IT skills are wearing off. Give me a bit of time on that one.

EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT

Regarding the Stiebler mod, I think I have done this right and ran the patch.bat file on the original SH3.exe file. It said it was successful so fingers crossed.

I have also downloaded the full Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2 and the MFM v3 Skin Packs (361mb & 624mb respectively). Where in the JSGME list should I add those? I wanted to double check as I'm sure I misread the original instructions. EDIT -- As the Merchant Fleet Mod appears to be OK as listed above, can I add the Skin Packs at the end of the JSGME list (at the bottom of the above?)

SH3 Commander was also installed and the NYGM specific files have been added to the install and I can successfully launch SH3 with it.

Just a couple of other in-game related questions -

Firstly, when I go to launch a new mission (clicking on the map board) it tells me there are 'too many crew, go to barracks'. When I open the crew screen I often see 'Sailors 29/25' so I have to ditch 4 crew before continuing, is that normal? EDIT -- This 'may' be related to me having selected 'Realistic Crew' instead of 'Already in SH3'. After changing it to the latter I didn't get that message.

Secondly, how do you keep the sub level in a periscope attack? In GWX, setting the speed to ahead slow (2kts) would allow for a quiet approach and the sub would not get any lower in the water. With NYGM this doesn't seem to work and in an attack last night I had to travel at 5kts just to maintain the correct depth, but no doubt the noise told everyone I was there - soon realised when several destroyers came at me. Any advice? EDIT -- I tried another career and this time I was able to cruise at 2kts at 13m periscope depth. Was it a one-off or a normal occurence?

EDIT -- One last query. The periscopes keep lowering themselves. Both the attack and observation scopes kept retracting and the only way to keep them raised was to hold down the Page Up or Insert buttons. Anyone else seen this?

Cheers guys, sorry for the long post but I just want to ensure I have NYGM installed correctly before carrying on.

Thanks again!

Px3000

Last edited by Phoenix3000; 05-02-12 at 06:57 PM.
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 11:03 AM   #677
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Phoenix3000:

The important thing to remember, when adding new mods, is to add them one at a time with JSGME, testing the game after the addition of each new mod. Then you know immediately whether conflicts occur, and where the problem lies. If you just jumble everything together without testing, how will you know what caused the problem? How will anyone else know, since it is most unlikely that they have the same mod-mixture as you?

You should start with basic SH3 (patched, if necessary with Ubisoft's official 1.4b patch, but later releases of SH3 are supplied pre-patched). Make sure you can get this running properly first, or everything else is a waste of time!

Then you can add NYGM 2.5, 3_New and 3.6A (in that order) all at once, and test again, this time with a single patrol.

The MFM3.2 mod by IABL is enormous, you should add this last, because it may cause CTDs due to ID conflicts all by itself. But is safe *instead* to add the smaller IABL ship pack supplied with NYGM.

After that, add the other mods you listed one by one, testing after each addition.

You mentioned the Stiebler3a_Addon_patch_for V16B1. As the name suggests, you must FIRST patch your copy of SH3.exe with H.sie's V16B1 patch. This is essential! See this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193301

I hope that helps,
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 03:32 PM   #678
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Cite: One last query. The periscopes keep lowering themselves. Both the attack and observation scopes kept retracting and the only way to keep them raised was to hold down the Page Up or Insert buttons. Anyone else seen this?

This is surely caused by my "Periscopes Fix" that automatically lowers the peris at high speed. I am really astonished that you add the patches before having read what exactly you are adding in detail. I wrote the documentation not without intention.

Last edited by h.sie; 05-03-12 at 03:45 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 04:02 PM   #679
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

OK guys, let me clarify. I did test each mod in succession instead of blindly adding them one after another. As a former GWX and WAC player I'm used to checking each mod in turn.

However, the periscope lowering problem is/was present even with only the NYGM mods (the first 3 in the list). I added further mods in the hope it may stop. Obviously not.

@h.sie - As already mentioned above, the periscope problem was there before I patched my SH3.exe file which I believe you are referring to, so no reason to be so astonished.

Having said that I have since done a fresh install and, as before, I still have the scopes lowering when I don't want them to. Stock SH3 is fine, but as soon as I add NYGM it occurs.

EDIT: Regarding the overwrite messages - these refer to adding the mods in the order described in this list: http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/ I assumed each previous version of NYGM can be safely overwritten, hence my original comment.

I can't see how there are any orphan files left over from a previous (and distant) GWX install...

This weekend I can spend more time on it and I'll do a complete re-install, again with further testing.

Last edited by Phoenix3000; 05-03-12 at 04:38 PM.
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 06:08 PM   #680
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89

Hello all,
I have anothes dummy question. It's surely somewhere in the documentation, but I can't find it.
I'm using NYGM 3.6 (on one of my multi installs) with MaGui Final and, recently when trying to introduce a newbie friend who was a little afraid of its multiple features and tools, we tried the original Hitman's GUI. Anyhow, I experience the probles of a ghost lens - or whatever it is - wisible at 1.5 magnification in the attack scope of the Typ IIA sub. I've found the image of the Typ IIA's corrected scope without this but I still don't know how what to enable?
Or is the fix incorporated in the original NYGM and broken by either GUI mods?
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 02:42 AM   #681
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Kpt Weyprecht:
MaGui Final and the original Hitman's GUI both share the same files to modify the periscope and UZO displays, rewritten in different ways. They are certain to be incompatible.

Use whichever mod you prefer. But never both.

It is because of these potential collisions that the main NYGM web site (click on my logo below) contains a short list of those mods that are guaranteed to function correctly with the main NYGM set-up. This does not mean that other mods are worthless, only that they may cause conflicts with the recommended list.

Therefore use mods from the recommended list. Add other mods at your own risk.

Stiebler.
Old 05-07-12, 04:09 PM   #682
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Sorry for not having been clear.
I didn't try to enable bonth GUIs one on top of the other, I tried one, then the other. However, I still have that glitch in the Typ IIa's scope with either one.
In the NYGM 3_New package documentation, I see an image of the scope with the glitch and the "Teddy's Corrected scope" without it. I suppose Teddy's mod is included somewhere, but I can't find it, or it is incorporates in the package but broken by the GUI mods?
Old 05-08-12, 02:34 AM   #683
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Kpt Weyprecht:

Teddy's IIA periscope fix places the single file 'Turm_2A_1_hd.dat' into your folder silenthunteriii\data\objects\. Teddy's file has date 4 April 2010, and it replaces the original file. I have checked my own SH3-NYGM setup, which does have Teddy's file and does not have the IIA periscope glitch.

This file is not modified by Hitman's GUI. It is unlikely that MaGUI-final alters it either, but I no longer have a copy.

Check that your current setup has Teddy's file (with same date) in the folder stated above. If it does not, you need to reinstall the mod NYGM3_New, which means that you should remove all other mods (including NYGM 3.6A) that you installed after it, using JSGME.

Since your files have evidently become corrupted in some way, it might be a good idea to remove and reinstall NYGM 2.5 as well. Or even to reinstall SH3 completely.

Stiebler.
Old 05-08-12, 09:08 AM   #684
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

There it is: my file has a date 29/08/2009. Strange. Damn' it, I thought I finally had a working install!
Old 05-08-12, 11:14 AM   #685
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Most probably as Stiebler said, you need a fresh reinstall. Perhaps you missed a patch, or installed a patch with older files. I think that at some point a patch came out with some glitches and was re-uploaded and fixed, so maybe you only got the older version. Or whatever. Bottom line: Reinstall
Old 05-08-12, 12:45 PM   #686
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

All right. Actually, since I have a multi-install, I still have one copy of stock unchanged (and never launched) sh3 on my machine. Do you think I can just delete the NYGM-dedicated copy, paste a copy of the stock game and then apply enable mods from a copy of my "MODS" folder or is there a risk that my mods corrupted somewhere between download and unzipping?
I don't really feel like downloading, unzippind and patching everything anew...
Old 05-09-12, 02:42 AM   #687
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Kpt Weyprecht:
Quote:
Actually, since I have a multi-install, I still have one copy of stock unchanged (and never launched) sh3 on my machine. Do you think I can just delete the NYGM-dedicated copy, paste a copy of the stock game and then apply enable mods from a copy of my "MODS" folder . . .
That is obviously worth trying, but be sure to make a backup copy of your stock game first.
Quote:
. . . or is there a risk that my mods corrupted somewhere between download and unzipping?
There is always a risk that a download might become corrupted. No one can answer your question: unless to say that the probability is small, that a file may become corrupted during download or during unzipping.

Stiebler.
Old 05-12-12, 05:27 AM   #688
Scottlu
Watch

Downloads: 394

@Stiebler:
I am a noob playing NYGM MOD,
here is a issue:the torpedo denotation method permanently sticking at magnetic.
It is impossible to toggle the switch to Impact mode.

Is this a feature imbued with Mod ?
Scottlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 09:29 AM   #689
Friede Rösing
Seaman

Downloads: 314

Hi...

I have a problem with de NYGM mod... I have been many campings with this mod ( i never got finished)... recently update to "Stiebler3_Additional_files_V16B1" ....

Since then strange thing happens. When firing a torpedo, its passes under the boat 3 or 4 meters , but i have configured correctly torpedo depht to 3 or 4 metres below the keel.

I'm back to reinstalling the mod but the problem persists
Friede Rösing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 10:55 AM   #690
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Scottlu:
Quote:
here is a issue:the torpedo denotation method permanently sticking at magnetic.
It is impossible to toggle the switch to Impact mode.
Is this a feature imbued with Mod ?
Yes, it is. It simulates the probability of torpedo failure in the first years of the war. (The devs built the impact detonator to be more reliable than the magnetic). However, the 'magnetic' detonator actually functions in addition as a contact detonator, so direct contact with the target will also cause the torpedo to explode.

@CapSea:
Quote:
recently update to "Stiebler3_Additional_files_V16B1" ....

Since then strange thing happens. When firing a torpedo, its passes under the boat 3 or 4 meters , but i have configured correctly torpedo depht to 3 or 4 metres below the keel.
Please read the *short* documentation written by H.sie for his V16B1 patch for SH3.exe. The answer is provided in the section about torpedoes.

Stiebler.

Tags
torpedos through hull