SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-11, 01:41 PM   #751
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Having nothing whatsoever to do with submarines is Adam Nicholson's Seize the Fire: Herosim, Duty and the Battle of Trafalgar.
They named a Submarine after Trafalgar.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 01:52 PM   #752
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Currently reading Les Miserables by Hugo as well as Machiavelli's Prince and Discourses on Livy simultaneously. (I'm in a rhetorical criticism class).
Old 03-01-11, 03:05 PM   #753
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
They named a Submarine after Trafalgar.

Heh, heh. But they never named a submarine after the book...

Also two First Rate wooden Ships of the Line, a Victorian era ironclad battleship and a WW2 Battle Class destroyer were not named for the book either.
Old 03-01-11, 05:51 PM   #754
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

From Leningrad to Berlin

Dutch Volunteers in the service of the German Waffen SS 1941-1945

By Perry Pierik

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:55 PM   #755
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
Im reading "Cold War Submarines" by Norman Polmar and K.J. Moore. The author displaces a few assumptions I held, that I found very revelatory.

1. That the U.S. held a large technological advantage over the Soviets at the end of the Cold war. False.
Yeah, read that book years back & it was an eye-opener. My perception is that the American superiority is more in the system more than the individual boats. Leaving aside the vague issue of training, SOSUS turned the undersea fight into one b/w a side with "AWACS" and a side without.

Another factor is that the Americans started really deploying rafting in their Permits in 1960 or so, while the Soviets started in 1972. That ensured a large glut of noisy Soviet submarines, and that pulled up the "national average" (and thus the American perception) of Soviet submarine noise and vice versa.

A third factor is that the Soviets seem to know when they are losing more than the West gives them credit for. In Blind Man's Bluff, there is a section where the Soviet Admiral let slip he was near USS Dace in a Victor I. Sontag tries to make it an issue of who trailed whom, and of course the American, which had an acoustical superiority, and who presumably waited in an ambush position, had the edge in that fight.

IMO, Sontag misses the point, which is that the Soviets had managed a counterdetection, even if it was late, and the Americans don't seem to know about it. Winning is better than losing, but in ASW warfare, managing to know when you've lost is a massive step up from not knowing, and not realizing that your victory is not quite complete is in itself a fair loss.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 11:26 PM   #756
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb View Post
Currently reading Les Miserables by Hugo as well as Machiavelli's Prince and Discourses on Livy simultaneously. (I'm in a rhetorical criticism class).

I really enjoyed Les Miserables, good book. Jean Valjean, great protaganist, great story.

Just finished Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and Girl Who Played with Fire.
Old 03-07-11, 09:15 AM   #757
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I've just started reading Robert Mason's Chickenhawk. First read it about 22 years ago and thought it was possibly one of the best books I'd ever read - well 22 years later I'm still thinking that!

Old 03-09-11, 11:45 PM   #758
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Thunder Below by Eugene B. Fluckey
Wahoo by Richard H. O'Kane
Indy,

If you had to choose between these two books, which would you go with?
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 12:27 AM   #759
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post

IMO, Sontag misses the point, which is that the Soviets had managed a counterdetection, even if it was late, and the Americans don't seem to know about it. Winning is better than losing, but in ASW warfare, managing to know when you've lost is a massive step up from not knowing, and not realizing that your victory is not quite complete is in itself a fair loss.
Actually, without trying to go too far OT, I would think, in a non-shooting war, Losing and knowing it is a far greater victory than winning and not knowing they know too.

Winning without thinking they know about it leads to complacency in tech development, while knowing you just got goosed forces you to strive ahead in new technology.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 06:17 AM   #760
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

I'm one of these guys who read several books at one - depending on my mood. Currently I am reading:

- Terry Pratchett: Moving Pictures
- Karl Alman: Graue Wölfe in Blauer See (Grey Wolfes in the blue ocean) - about the u-boats in the Mediterranian Sea
- Jared Diamond: Collapse
- Generation Kill by Evan Wright

the first 3 in German, the last one in English
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 08:48 AM   #761
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
...the first 3 in German, the last one in English
I wish I'd paid much, much, more attention at school with regard to learning German. The only thing I can remember properly, and this goes for French also, is that the public transport infrastructure must be fantastic - as the question: Wo ist der Bahnhof/Bushaltestelle? (Where is the train station/bus stop?)

The answers were always: Der Bahnhof/Bushaltestelle ist die zweite/dritte Straße rechts/links. (The train station/bus stop is the second/third road on the right/left.)

A bus stop or train station always within three streets!!!

Anyway, back to books - still reading Chickenhawk
Old 03-10-11, 09:24 AM   #762
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
Yeah, read that book years back & it was an eye-opener. My perception is that the American superiority is more in the system more than the individual boats. Leaving aside the vague issue of training, SOSUS turned the undersea fight into one b/w a side with "AWACS" and a side without.

Another factor is that the Americans started really deploying rafting in their Permits in 1960 or so, while the Soviets started in 1972. That ensured a large glut of noisy Soviet submarines, and that pulled up the "national average" (and thus the American perception) of Soviet submarine noise and vice versa.

A third factor is that the Soviets seem to know when they are losing more than the West gives them credit for. In Blind Man's Bluff, there is a section where the Soviet Admiral let slip he was near USS Dace in a Victor I. Sontag tries to make it an issue of who trailed whom, and of course the American, which had an acoustical superiority, and who presumably waited in an ambush position, had the edge in that fight.

Didn't the Soviets has a SOSUS system it was called Caesar? I'm sort of confused on that since there was an American sonar program called Caesar too. I know they have ocean floor sensors I'm just not 100% sure what its called.

Old 03-12-11, 10:30 PM   #763
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
Didn't the Soviets has a SOSUS system it was called Caesar? I'm sort of confused on that since there was an American sonar program called Caesar too. I know they have ocean floor sensors I'm just not 100% sure what its called.
Perhaps this is what your looking for TLAM, I just googled it after reading your post, I think its a doc for the old "Harpoon" game. not sure if its what the Russian sosus was really called.

http://www.tacopshq.com/MBX/Globalth...DIA-SOSUS.html

Say, do you know the difference between these two books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846
Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems Eric Wertheim

and

http://www.amazon.com/Naval-Institut...d=ZHFYMC7LIF3Z

The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 2002-2003: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems A. D., III Baker

Im confused because they both seem to be one and the same book, but with different authors. The one by Eric Wertheim is also more current (2007). Perhaps it is the same project but maybe A.D. III Baker no longer is writing ?? So Wertheim took over the helm, so to speak. Just a guess..

Last edited by Buck_O; 03-13-11 at 04:42 PM.
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 10:17 AM   #764
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default The Last Patrol

I imagine that this title has appeared on these pages before but it is definately worth a reminder.

The Last Patrol by Harry Holmes details the loss of every American submarine in WW2 and should be a must for every sub simmer's library.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Patrol-Ha...0115065&sr=8-1

Was reaquainted with The Last Patrol recently when SWMBO actually asked a submarine related questions pertaining to some romance novel she was reading and I had to go and look up an answer.
Old 03-14-11, 11:45 AM   #765
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
Perhaps this is what your looking for TLAM, I just googled it after reading your post, I think its a doc for the old "Harpoon" game. not sure if its what the Russian sosus was really called.

http://www.tacopshq.com/MBX/Globalth...DIA-SOSUS.html

Say, do you know the difference between these two books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846
Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems Eric Wertheim

and

http://www.amazon.com/Naval-Institut...d=ZHFYMC7LIF3Z

The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 2002-2003: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems A. D., III Baker

Im confused because they both seem to be one and the same book, but with different authors. The one by Eric Wertheim is also more current (2007). Perhaps it is the same project but maybe A.D. III Baker no longer is writing ?? So Wertheim took over the helm, so to speak. Just a guess..
I guess Eric Werheim is the new author they are using. The Red cover book is a newer edition.

... but damn those are expensive...

Anyways I take some of the stuff written for Harpoon with a grain of salt, not that its inaccurate but that it could be altered for "mass distribution", however there are times that its the only stuff written on something.

Tags
books