SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.23%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 194 18.65%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.13%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 551 52.98%
Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-08, 01:30 PM   #31
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

My God!! Thats absolutely incredible. Are this subs going to be available with a new mod in a near future for SH4? And what about modern conventional units like Kilo,Agosta and more? Now that the addon is almost here,more possibilities are closer.
And another thing,is there any chance to model control rooms for every sub class in a real fidelity way?

Best regards.
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 09:50 PM   #32
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre
My God!! Thats absolutely incredible. Are this subs going to be available with a new mod in a near future for SH4? And what about modern conventional units like Kilo,Agosta and more? Now that the addon is almost here,more possibilities are closer.
And another thing,is there any chance to model control rooms for every sub class in a real fidelity way?

Best regards.
Alright, I'd like to make one thing clear: The wizards over at Sukhoi.ru are doing their own project; we are in no way affiliated with them. What we are doing is taking their subs (plus a couple of our own if we can get them made) and making them into a (hopefully) complete mod.

And as for the state of completion, it is far from done. At the moment, myself and USS_Trigger are the only modders working on the project and we have only just laid the groundwork for what we are trying to achieve here. Once again, any experienced modders willing to help, please pm myself or Trigger!

Specifically, we would really appreciate help coding the new gear like modernised sonar and homing torpedoes, etc, as well as modellers and texture artists. I would really like to get all these mechanics in working order before we start working on campaign layers, missions, etc.

Oh and yes, it is possible to model every sub's control room, assuming we have plenty of photos and good modelers/texture artists, though not everything will be functional. And I'm hoping to get a bunch of diesel subs like the GUPPY-converted Balao and Tench classes, the Tang class, Foxtrot class, Golf class, Tango class, Whiskey class. Newer boats like the Kilo and Agosta might come later, but as I've said, many of the gadgets these boats have cannot be simulated in SH4, and thus the focus for this mod is the Cold War in the 1950s through the 1970s, unless someone out there can really work some magic with SH4 code...

Last edited by Capt Jack Harkness; 02-17-08 at 10:23 PM.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 12:16 AM   #33
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre

Best regards.
Alright, I'd like to make one thing clear: The wizards over at Sukhoi.ru are doing their own project; we are in no way affiliated with them. What we are doing is taking their subs (plus a couple of our own if we can get them made) and making them into a (hopefully) complete mod.

And as for the state of completion, it is far from done. At the moment, myself and USS_Trigger are the only modders working on the project and we have only just laid the groundwork for what we are trying to achieve here. Once again, any experienced modders willing to help, please pm myself or Trigger!

Specifically, we would really appreciate help coding the new gear like modernised sonar and homing torpedoes, etc, as well as modellers and texture artists. I would really like to get all these mechanics in working order before we start working on campaign layers, missions, etc.

Oh and yes, it is possible to model every sub's control room, assuming we have plenty of photos and good modelers/texture artists, though not everything will be functional. And I'm hoping to get a bunch of diesel subs like the GUPPY-converted Balao and Tench classes, the Tang class, Foxtrot class, Golf class, Tango class, Whiskey class. Newer boats like the Kilo and Agosta might come later, but as I've said, many of the gadgets these boats have cannot be simulated in SH4, and thus the focus for this mod is the Cold War in the 1950s through the 1970s, unless someone out there can really work some magic with SH4 code...
Few subs from you list now WIP and you would be double work.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 02:15 AM   #34
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

I beg your pardon?
Old 02-18-08, 06:35 AM   #35
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
I beg your pardon?
Sorry, but I misundestand you post
Old 02-18-08, 12:28 PM   #36
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

OMG!!

those are nuke subs

about the torps, grab the homing one from SH3 for now...
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 04:01 PM   #37
USS_Trigger
Seaman

Downloads: 11

problem with the homing one from SH3 as is the problem with the ones in SH4 is that its too unreliable, its hard to get a lock, you need loud higher speed props

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." John Paul Jones

"There is no substitute for victory." Gen. Doulas MacArthur
USS_Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 10:05 PM   #38
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Well, I'm looking into making an active-homing torpedo. To do this I may have to create a new sensor for the torp so that I can reduce or eliminate the drop in performance with speed without affecting every other sonar system in game. With that out of the way I can rig up anything from 35kt electric homing torps to 60+kt ADCAPs!

Actually, now that I think about it, I may need to add half a dozen new sensors to incorporate the new sonar on the subs while taking into account the differences between the USA and the Soviets...

Last edited by Capt Jack Harkness; 02-19-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 05:59 AM   #39
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

But those nuclear subs...are they donwloadable?
Their site is (obviously) in russian...and i do not understand russian..
Old 02-20-08, 11:28 AM   #40
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Fantastic!

I'm the guy who posted the Poll for SH5 being set in the Cold War and I am very happy to see some of the work being posted here. I think that I'm gonna drop Neal a line and ask if he can post one of the screen shots on the main page....
Old 02-20-08, 01:20 PM   #41
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycaccia
But those nuclear subs...are they donwloadable?
Their site is (obviously) in russian...and i do not understand russian..
submarines project 627A and Le Redoutable donwloadable from russian site.
Old 02-20-08, 02:54 PM   #42
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

Thanks denis,
I think somone that speaks russian could easily donwload their subs and then upload on filefront to make them usable by the sh4 community....of course we must ask for permission first, that's THEIR job and THEIR CONSENSE is absolutely necessary.

Old 02-21-08, 06:03 AM   #43
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82
Default Surface ships + Ports

Hey guys,I am concerned that you are working hard into this mod.Perhaps one day,not far,SH4 comunity will have an exceptional mod covering this age.Are you going to let coexist Cold war units with the existing ones in the actual SH?
How to implement (if possible) 50s,60s surface units like destroyers,guided missile cruisers,frigates and carriers Midway and Forrestal class for example?
Concerning actual ports,how to give them +15,20 years update shape,plus the construction of new ones from Russia,China,Korea and allied ports worldwide?
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 11:39 AM   #44
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I'm assuming that they are either making missions or a new campaign layer would have to be added where only 50's and 60's ships are loaded into the game, if you choose a Cold War career.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 06:19 PM   #45
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Excactly. Every ship has a start and end date for availability; we're going to give all the new boats their actual service dates, and when playing in the 50s the only ships you will see are those in service at that time.