SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-17, 03:31 PM   #16
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I know nothign about sailign, and never was into it, but the past days I occasionally watched TV coverage of the races between these two catamarans, and watched with growing fascination the different race track patterns both boats were circling into the water in search for the better wind. Also I like the boats.

I also know nothign about these boats, do not even know the name of their class, assuming they are not just "catamarans". And I am wondering. That the crew all the time change the side, probably is due to weight, but the sailors who are constantly turning those cranks like crazy - what exactly are they doing there? Do they drive a hidden propeller? I have no clue what they are doing, since they are turnign the cranks all the time, always.

Whats it all about? Are they bored or try to keep warm?
Those are cranks to run a hydraulic pump to power the actuators to move the sails, boards, etc. These boats are doing 50 mph under wind power alone. The NZ team got 'smart' and made the cranks into stationary bikes.

Anybody have a place to stream these matches!?! I got used to watching them live on YouTube last time, and this time they're not even replaying them! All I can find are the press conferences. And without seeing the actual match, press conferences are friggin boring.

It's just another cash grab by the Oracle guys. Bermuda paid them enough (or more accurately, gave them the island for free) to come there instead of defend the cup in their home port. The SF races were the most watched and attended ever! And they move it to a remote island??? And now one of the things that is made the last cup so popular was the ease of access to the races, and now you can't even watch them unless you have NBCSN!.

EDIT: Dammit, and another cash grab. Its not available to stream in most of the countries that are participating. I understand not streaming it live, for the ad revenue. But at least stream the replays dahmkit!

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 03:47 PM   #17
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Some of the Cup matches were broadcast on regular broadcast NBC network stations over the last weekend in the US; the growing trend towards moving all sports to 'pay view' is the result of the 'bean-counter' corporate culture that has taken over media outlets; NBC is owned by Universal Group who seem intent on making the public pay for every second of media possible...

<O>
Old 06-19-17, 03:58 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Oh heck...

Isnt it amazing what I can do to this strange language if only I put my heart into it? LOL

I blame Catfish, he used first this new word that I did not knew, and then sent all those negative vibes that made me misspelling it.
WE in turn Fraün upon such SHEnannigans!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 04:00 AM   #19
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

A bit OT, wanted to go to bed yesterday, but saw Robert Redford in a film on a yacht, and became interested.
Was the film "All is lost" from 2014, had not seen it before. About a single-handed sailor who's boat gets rammed by a garbage container, and his following fight in the leaking boat against the sea. Not mainstream cinema. One man, only saying two or three words in the whole film, but if you ever sailed such a boat it really gets intense.
Yes some flaws but not so Hollywood-like. Great film, for me

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-20-17 at 04:25 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 04:56 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Autorecorded on stick. Will watch later.
Old 06-20-17, 05:03 AM   #21
Catfish

I wonder why, after watching the film, my wife asked me whether i would not like to go sailing again..

Old 06-20-17, 08:53 AM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
A bit OT, wanted to go to bed yesterday, but saw Robert Redford in a film on a yacht, and became interested.
Was the film "All is lost" from 2014, had not seen it before. About a single-handed sailor who's boat gets rammed by a garbage container, and his following fight in the leaking boat against the sea. Not mainstream cinema. One man, only saying two or three words in the whole film, but if you ever sailed such a boat it really gets intense.
Yes some flaws but not so Hollywood-like. Great film, for me
https://www.quora.com/How-realistic-is-the-ocean-sailing-movie-All-is-lost

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 09:19 AM   #23
Catfish

^ there are other critics, of course. I also told my wife about all those unrealistic things, and blatantly unprofesional behaviour, but it was still interesting compared to what you see mostly.

Some things are real though, as a single-handed sailor you have to eat, you have to sleep, you need some warm place, and if you have no auto steering you have to stay on deck and get the boat through the storm, just rigging a drift anchor will not suffice.
The slightest mistake will get you in big trouble. When he lost the mast which put anther leak in the boat, if on deck level, he was completely exhausted. Going down for sleeping in that state and the boat doing an unexpected move will probably make you bang your head at something.
Did you see it?

Last edited by Catfish; 06-20-17 at 09:28 AM.