SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-18, 03:36 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Is Vivaldi the same as Chrome

Is the browser Vivaldi the same as Chrome or is it similar to Chrome ?

Why I'm asking is because I have read that you can "transfer" plug-ins from your Chrome browser to your Vivaldi browser.

If Vivaldi is the same or almost the same as Chrome(have read they use same type of engine and other stuff.)

Does a Vivaldi use have the same problems Chrome user have, when using Facebook-People who use Chrome as their main browser to Facebook get virus/hoaxes via Messengers.

If so, then Vivaldi isn't better than Chrome.

I also know Vivaldi is next generation Opera browser.

Hope you understand what I'm asking-´cause I don't know how to put it.

Have tried to figure out what Vivaldi is and if it's the same as Chrome.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 04:49 PM   #2
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Vivaldi uses the Chromium engine that Chrome uses, but without all the tracking that Chrome proper has. It's also far more customizable than Chrome, and has a few more builtin features that Chrome requires you to install extensions to use. If you still want though, it will use any and all Chrome extensions, except themes.

I don't know about the Facebook/Messenger question as I don't have a Facebook account.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 05:45 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you.

Now I have to wait for someone in here who have this Vivaldi and Facebook.
I was thinking of telling my FB-friends to use this Vivaldi, but if a Vivaldi user have the same problems I will not do it-Tell them to get Vivaldi instead.

Markus
Old 01-05-18, 06:06 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Rockin Robbins is a user and fan of Vivaldi. Drop him a PM.

Vivalid was put together by former Firefox staff that were not happy with the way things went down the drain at Mozilla, and left, more or less in anger.

Firefox since a few weeks now also runs under the Chromium engine. Thats why many secvurity and privacy addons for it are broken, or have been rewritten but work not well, and many modders have left Firefox, becasue they took the sh!t from angry users although it is not their guilt, but Mozilla's. Privacy protection , once the prime argument in favour of Firefox, has seen an extreme, wanted weakening. Firefox, Vivaldi, Chrome - i do not see big differences anymore.

I was thinking about getting Vivaldi myself, but since I learned it also uses Chromium, I fail to see the point in switching.
Old 01-06-18, 01:04 AM   #5
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I use Chrome as my main browser for Facebook, and I do not get virus/hoaxes via Messenger.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 12:48 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I use Chrome as my main browser for Facebook, and I do not get virus/hoaxes via Messenger.
Thank you.

Now I wonder why my FB friends, who also use Chrome as their main browser for FB get these virus and hoaxes ?

I have since some year back asked them which browser they were using and all of them said Chrome.

I good FB friends is so tired of these hoaxes and all these virus that keeps on coming, and he is not interested in going back to IE, Firefox and Opera.

I was thinking on recommend him this Vivaldi, but if a Vivaldi user also get these hoaxes and/or virus, he can stay with his Chrome.

Markus
Old 01-09-18, 03:43 PM   #7
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Vivalid was put together by former Firefox staff that were not happy with the way things went down the drain at Mozilla, and left, more or less in anger.
Not quite. Vivaldi was started by the guy who started the original Opera. He didn't like the direction Opera was going.

Quote:
Firefox since a few weeks now also runs under the Chromium engine. Thats why many secvurity and privacy addons for it are broken, or have been rewritten but work not well, and many modders have left Firefox...
Wrong on both counts. FF still uses their own rendering engine, not Chromium. And the reason most of the addons stopped working was because they made a conscious decision to stop using the method they were written in. That did cause a lot of modders and users to leave.

Quote:
I was thinking about getting Vivaldi myself, but since I learned it also uses Chromium, I fail to see the point in switching.
As I said earlier, while it uses Chromium, it doesn't have all the user tracking Chrome proper does. And because it uses Chromium, it gives a much higher score on html5test.com than FF or Edge.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 04:59 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
Not quite. Vivaldi was started by the guy who started the original Opera. He didn't like the direction Opera was going.
Argh - yes, think you are right. I allowed to get fooled by my memory. My fault.

Many extensions in Firefox do not work anymore since the new basic digital DNA from Chromium does not allow certain tasks being done in the way they were done in the old Firefox (pre-Quantum). This was done by Mozilla to speed the browser up that got bogged down sometimes by all those many addons doing too many tasks costing too much CPU time. Since these working methods of the old addons are not compatible with the rules of Chromium, their authors cannot keep up old itnerafces and extensions, or cannot attach needed adapatation within a reaosmable amont oif work and time. Onme of ther most primninent victims is No-.Script. Before, it worked great, now it is a pain, I have deleted it. Another famous mod whose authors gave up is One-Side-Bar. All in all of the maybe 6 or 7 addons I used before Quantujm, today I only maintain three - the others have been given up, or work too bad.

Wrong prioritizing by Mozilla, imo, as I explained earlier. They placed a bet for speed, but traded away the opriume aregument that spoke for Firefox: proteciton of proivacy features and preventing snooping. None of Chrome, Edge, Firefox Quantum, Opera post-version-12, can succeed Firefox classic in this. Anmd since the speed gains are almost unperceivable to me, I only see the loss of privacy protection, uncompensated by anything .

Opera did the same some years ago,m and with adding some very questionable, weak desing decisions. They got delivered the bill: they lost 50% of their already small user base back then within two months.

Last time I read about Firefox users, was after arrival of Quantujm. Thy too have seen a huge loss in users, one quarter, if I remember correctly.

P.S. Ah here it is:
Quote:
Firefox, whose maker recently overhauled the browser, also took it on the chin when Net Applications scratched out bot traffic. In the new, cleansed data, Firefox's user share dropped 3.5 points in 2017, representing a 24% decline. That was the largest decrease among the world's top browsers.
https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ost-share.html

Mozilla maybe had to do something, since the constantly lost shares sinc elonger time now, but they did the wrong thing. This Quantum will not change the trend.

I think everything points at Google Chrome as the winner of the browser war on PC. If counting all computer devices, the winner can only be named as Android.
Old 01-09-18, 07:05 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for your answers

I'm a newbie or a novice when it comes to computer

As i Understand it, Vivaldi is not Chrome even though Vivaldi use the same engine

Was thinking

Let say I recommend this Vivaldi browser to some of my FB-friends and tell them by using this browser you will not receive these hoaxes and virus as you do with your Chrome browser

And then they stille receive these unwanted messages

As mentioned before they are not interested in going back to IE. IE is the only browser who don't get these messages.(what I have learned)

Need more info.

Markus
Old 01-09-18, 08:53 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Tell them to go with firefox or Opera, or Vivaldi, if they want to heavily set up the visual appearance at least like they want. In privacy protection and security, the differences are not really serious anymore. They all run on the same basic engine, in principle. The differences are cosmetical, minor, not really important, I think.

They should not use Edge. And Explorer nowadays is a big forbidden No-no.

Google's pure Chrome I would not use due to its most prominent privacy violation. No other browsere probbaly is as bad in this, as Chrome.

Its not worth anymore to spend all this much time on thinkling about browser differences. To me, they all are mediocre now at best. Pick one, set its options to as tight as it allows, and live with it, somehow.
Old 01-10-18, 02:32 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I would say that most problems with Facebook shenanigans has to do with using Facebook Messenger. I wouldn't allow it on either my cell phone or computer. But using Facebook with Vivaldi under Ubuntu Linux I've had zero hoaxes or solicitations.

The reason is that I've banned Facebook Messenger.

Another misconception. Chromium is the open source and spyware free version of Chrome, which lives in the Linux world and visits Windows a tiny amount. Chrome is a commercial project, only loosely based on Chomium which lives on Windows because that's the only place where it would be tolerated. Firefox uses its own rendering engine but uses the Chrome extension scheme. You can load all Chrome extensions (and Opera extensions too) into Firefox with an extension that lets you do that.

In their deal with the devil, in order to get their browser up to speed (literally) Mozilla had to kick all their extension base to the curb, angering many, such as the author of one of my favorite extensions, Tab Mix Plus, to just quit developing extensions for Firefox. I don't see how they recover from that. Chrome extensions don't cut the cheese unless they're duplicates of the Firefox extensions.

You'll never be able to download You Tube videos with Chrome because Google owns You Tube and Chrome so they don't want you downloading You Tube videos. So there's a lot of conflict of interest there I don't want to deal with.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 01-10-18 at 02:42 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote