SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-17, 08:39 AM   #1
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

Default Russian Boats Pictures and comments WIP PT1

Well as you guys know I am a huge fan of Russian built boats for me it’s a never-ending trail of discovery and I have met some fantastic people along the way.
For me I do feel that the western boats have little or no flare or character maybe with the exception of USS Halibut or USS Parche, it seems that the west just build’s one boat and the rest are mirror copies of the last with a few tweaks here and there, let’s face it once you seen one 688i you seen them all right? From the outside they are all identical, and I am not saying that as a bad thing it is very smart cuts down cost’s and its practical.

One thing I have to commend the Russians on is they are not afraid to step outside the box lets be truthful, 90% of our community will be able to tell the different submarine classes apart in the Russian Navy that’s almost certain, they really do sometimes go all out and overstep the mark sometimes.
For me I personally have to say I love the Project 971 Akula’s I also like the older boats such as the Tango’s and Romeos but the fact remains the West went for practicality and cost while the Russian’s tended to try and score one above.

The one above:

Nothing says above and beyond than that of the massive Oscar class Project 949 and 949A with the first two boats Arkhangelsk and Murmansk paid off and scrapped leaving only the modified Oscar II types in service this is one huge submarine.
At 24,000ton’s submerged displacement that’s heavier than the American Ohio class she is also twice as wide but some 70 feet shorter which gives for a very squat fat look.
Armed with Torpedo’s and SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles designed to take out carrier battle groups the missile the Oscar II is armed with is defiantly one of the most advanced in the world, she also employs the VA-111 Skhval as well as other conventional missiles and torpedo’s.
oscar 2 2 by Blair Shaw, on Flickr

Probably this class was bought to fame in August 2000 when the submarine K141 Kursk suffered a catastrophic explosion and sank sadly taking the lives of all 118 on board, now from what I hear and have been told because I do ask this question a lot I can honestly whole heartedly say every single submariner I have spoken to has said pretty much the same thing, “we respect them and feel for their families and we cannot imagine the suffering these guys went through” I have been across continents and countries and friend or “enemy” not a single person has ever said a bad thing about Kursk, so it is true what they say no matter what country you share the common bond.
Russia has always pushed the envelope of technology sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, the Kursk wasn’t a push it was a tragic series of events.

Pushing the Envelope:

Many Russian boats pushed the boundaries the Project 705 and 705K Lira NATO Code name Al’fa certainly were a class like this with a liquid metal cooled reactor these small yet very fast boats would certainly have given a lot of other boats a run for their money

Odd Bits of Chatham by Blair Shaw, on Flickr
The squat short lightweight hull with a very powerful reactor and a few crew made this one fast submarine, capable of a burst speed of 45 knots and a sustained speed of 42 knots this tiny submarine used a new hull form made of a titanium nickel alloy, although the Project 661 Anchar (Papa class) was faster in the sustained speed these boats really did lay down a gauntlet for the west which led to the development of what I personally consider one of the best torpedo’s produced the MK48 ADCAP.

You wanted made here it is, the only submarine to fire her battery of missiles from in front of the sail the Project 941 Akula NATO code named Typhoon

typhoon 103 by Blair Shaw, on Flickr
typhoon 104 by Blair Shaw, on Flickr
She is so large and so bold Hollywood made a film about her after Tom Clancy wrote the book hunt for red October this submarine is a statement she is the largest submarine constructed longer than the American Ohio twice as wide and carrying 20 missiles each weighing 90tons she displaces 48,000 tons of water when submerged (the same as a Tarawa LPA), she has twin side by side hulls two reactors two screws a swimming pool sauna and gym sounds more like a cruise ship.
However today only one TK208 remains in active service they are being replaced by the smaller more cost effective borei class submarines.

Odd Ball:

Here’s an ode to one submarine rarely seen photographed and in fact these are the only photographs I know of that show the existence of B555 a special projects submarine like no other, steeped in mystery most of her activities are still classified much like her western contemporise these pictures were taken by a former commander and are the only ones I know that exist of her.

Project 1840 Lima class she was withdrawn in 1993 and scrapped very quickly little is known about the boat so il leave the pictures to do the talking.

Project 1840 Lima by Blair Shaw, on Flickr

Project 1840 Lima by Blair Shaw, on Flickr

Another boat of note is the Project 677 Lada only one exists but you don’t see much of her let alone here about her she is the only one in her class active and appears to be used as a test platform, again not a lot is known other than it was the failed replacement of the Kilo class.

lada5 by Blair Shaw, on Flickr

So this is the end of part one it is a WIP so please let me know what you think and if I should continue as I have a lot more to write out.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 10:25 AM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
So this is the end of part one it is a WIP so please let me know what you think and if I should continue as I have a lot more to write out.
Yes, please continue to contribute ... we love your love for what we love.

Just one suggestion the men that sail these doomed to failure, in a modern war or at least, have no home left to come back to. Hey that would make a great movie, uh? A nuclear submarine with no weapons left and no home port to return to ...

Anyway it is the men inside these sewer tubes, as even the sub sailors refer to them as, that are important. I have met them, I have worked with them and I respect them. They need more publishing than the iron maiden's they served in and kept from sinking to the bottom.

Where do you find their life stories I do not know ... your passion is our passion Kapitian
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 01:15 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Looking forward to your next contribution

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 06:30 PM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Just one suggestion the men that sail these doomed to failure, in a modern war or at least, have no home left to come back to. Hey that would make a great movie, uh? A nuclear submarine with no weapons left and no home port to return to ...
You mean like?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 08:56 PM   #5
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
You mean like?
Yes, sort of ... so that's where I heard of it before lol
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 09:27 PM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Yes, sort of ... so that's where I heard of it before lol

They did a remake so i understand but I haven't seen it yet. Don't think I will though as it was a pretty depressing experience watching the original.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 02:49 PM   #7
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

Thanks Kapitan, it would be very nice if you would share more of your insight.
By myself I am also very interested in soviet/russian subs. It is quite interesting how they experimented with different hull, sail designs, different reactor types and automation. Sometimes they really pushed their designs beyond anything imaginable. Also already in beginning of the seventies they installed Combat Information Systems in their boats, beginning with the MVU-110 Uzel in the Tango class, the MVU-111 Akkord in the victor II and Alfa, the Almaz in the Delta I-III, the MVU-132 Omnibus starting withe the Victor III in the end of the 70s, and finaly the Charlie class also had their own Combat Information System called Brest.
Makes me wonder when the US started to install Combat Information System in their boats.
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 11:08 AM   #8
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Ok guys i am working on it it will take some time probably a few months just got back from Canada and Dominican rep refreshed so sorting myself out then i will crack on.

Old 10-21-17, 03:38 PM   #9
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Of course we want more pictures and write up's.

The pictures and narratives really are first rate. Keep up the great work and keep em' coming.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 07:00 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Ok guys i am working on it it will take some time probably a few months just got back from Canada and Dominican rep refreshed so sorting myself out then i will crack on.
I was in Mexico then, you shoulda popped over for a drink or three

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-18, 02:22 PM   #11
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

i have been bouncing about quite a lot and working away from home again been a bit of a drag if i am honest.