Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 12:18 AM   #1
crashed97tsi
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I cannot hit anything

Hello:

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot hit anything with Torpedoes in this game. Everytime I use the TDC and input the ship type, range, speed, bearing, and AOB I miss horribly. The torpedos keep going where the ship was when I fired the torpedo, not where it is going to be when the torpedo gets there.

This is on automatic mode btw, no manual targeting mode yet. However, no matter what I do I cannot get a hit at over 500m. The torpedos just miss horribly.

SO any ideas? I am also positive I am identifying, ranging, and estimating speed correctly. I think my problem is with the angle off bow or whatever.

Game is good so far, however I really miss the crew interface of the past games. This new type doesn't really work for me.
crashed97tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:24 AM   #2
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

If you are on automatic targetting, you dont need to input anything.

Look in the manual.. it will explain what those numbered circles are on your minimap.. and how to use them in auto targetting to help lead your shot.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:00 AM   #3
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42

i to love the old interface from 4 & 5.......... and yes i mean the tdc
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:03 AM   #4
DMB3428
Watch

Downloads: 46

one thing im doing is "leading" the target...I put the cross hair on the bow of the boat and then update the range then fire.....I prefer the SH4 method with the dials and such...THIS HAS TO BE MODDED IMO!
DMB3428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:28 AM   #5
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I posted this somewhere else, but it may help here as well:

This is with manual TDC, but map updates "on", which I find is the best way to learn since you can practice manual targeting and doublecheck against the map readings to figure out what you are doing wrong.

The solution (i.e. range, AOB, speed) was plugged in exactly from the data on the map. I aimed at the bow and midships and the torpedoes hit where I was aiming. The gyro angle takes into account not only the aim point, but the fact that the TGT is moving right to left at 10 knots.

When you have a perfect solution, the torpedo will go exactly where you aim it.

I have not tried AUTO TDC, so I do not know what the issue is or why it does not work the same way.
Old 03-01-10, 09:29 AM   #6
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Yeah the Scope and AOB is linked in manual TDC like it was in SH3. But.. I wish it will tell you what the gyro angle is.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:14 PM   #7
dangrey
Bosun

Downloads: 6

I'm also having trouble with auto tdc. The torpedo always go where the ship was when I fired ...
dangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:45 PM   #8
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Can I allow myself to show how I have been hitting from 3500 meters consistently.

1) make sure your at periscope depth by 8k, they will see you any further after that.
2) Get ships course, you should know this by now.
3) Get speed, you should also know this by now.
4) Get range, you should know this by now too.
5) Get ships relative bearing.

Fun math stuff now (I will show only the formulas not the theory).

TDC ALWAYS OFF. You should have the attack map, tdc, firing controls, and the scope in one view.

Ok.

Now if your know your course is 0° and his course is 270° and his relative bearing is 50°, you can do the math for angle on the bow.

So its Target True Bearing + (plus) Ships Course - (minus) 180 = AOB Which in our case is:

50 + 270 - 180 = 140 AOB

Now adjust the range and confirm the speed.

Now if your True Target Bearing is 350°, you would simply minus 10 from the formula as so:

10 - 270 - 180 = 80 AOB

What I do and suspect captains did would be assume the ship held course and plot the perfect solution along his track. Meaning if I know he is going to cross my scope at a certain bearing I could compute for 340° before he even gets there, giving me time to compensate for speed, range and allow for course correction if needed. You could do the math for multiple ships very fast without ever locking a scope or watching the same ship over and over.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:46 PM   #9
guynoir
Seaman

Downloads: 3

I wonder if it's sending '0' to the TDC in auto mode... Remember the chronometer bug in SHIV when manually targeting that would give the ship's speed as '0'? (which caused me to shelve the game for a good long while)
guynoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:54 PM   #10
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Theres no problem I can see setting the speed anywhere, you just type it in.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:56 PM   #11
dangrey
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynoir View Post
I wonder if it's sending '0' to the TDC in auto mode... Remember the chronometer bug in SHIV when manually targeting that would give the ship's speed as '0'? (which caused me to shelve the game for a good long while)
Sounds like it could be yes. I'm enjoying playing as the captain and want to play with auto tdc for a while, before I'm going manual.
Old 03-01-10, 06:31 PM   #12
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

There are many threads on manual targeting in the SH3/4 forums, but that is probably not pertinent to this discussion.

Regarding Auto TDC, someone would have to play with Auto TDC and map updates "on" and compare the TDC solution with the map data to figure out what is going on. I presume the Devs put in a fudge factor so it is not the silver bullet it was before.
Old 03-01-10, 06:38 PM   #13
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

I just wanted to drop in and say how awsome it is to have a real gameplay discussion.

It's a breath of fresh air !

Carry on !
Old 03-02-10, 10:11 AM   #14
dangrey
Bosun

Aha, I finally got some hits. After I mark a target, I have to choose the right speed on the torpedo, and then turn the attack-periscope (often away from the target in sight) till the line on map is about right. Both the nr. 3s should be close. I will play some mission with this before I go back to manual tracking. So we can't have the crew to identify ships etc. and get that info on the screen as well?
Old 03-02-10, 10:43 AM   #15
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Wait a minute, I just want to mark a target with the scope and let me crew do the rest. Is this possible through manual targetting or automatic? I don't want to have to line up dots on that lame TAI map, because frankly I throw up a little bit in my mouth every time I look at it.

I thought the whole purpose of this new approach was to take a lot of the microtasks out of the captain's hands and put them back in the crews.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote