SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-08, 02:22 PM   #61
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:
<Do you feel as if the C.O.B. is undressing you with his eyes?>
I didn't even want to get into that one!! :rotfl:

Time to get comfortable perhaps
Popcorn! Yummy
Old 03-23-08, 02:28 PM   #62
Bewolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[quote=Ducimus]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewolf

Actually, i'm very well and equally versed in both The Atlantic U-boat campaign AND the Pacific submarine campaign.
No, you are not. Else you'd know that attacking an allied Convoy in 44 alone was as, if not more dangerous then anything the US boats faced, and that includes the heavy stuff like harbor intrusions. Not to start about Scapa Flow or some of the actions involved with the delivery of agents to the US, Canada and the UK. So saying the daring stuff was in the Pacific while the Atlantic was just about convoy duty is a bit....far fetched.

Quote:
Imagine that the last Uboat sim was SH1, (made 12 years ago), and every sim since then, you've had nothing but Fleetboats shoved at you when all you wanted was a Uboat sim. So you finally get a uboat sim, and not too long there after, people start trying to convert it back to ANOTHER fleetboat sim. Whats more, since it has such a huge and rabid fanboy following, it threatens to stunt the growth of the campaign you wanted because the majority of community efforts will go to the theater that youve had to put up for several years. AND THEN, you have Fleetboat fans making posts like this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=33

You might just be a little upset.
And herein lies the confusion.

1. Even if it was a "conversion", which it is not, nobody forces you to download and play it. Just because others look forward to having fun with stuff "they" like, opposite what "you" like, is no reason to get offensive whatsoever. Besides even if this stuff is modded for the Atlantic, the Pacific won't go away. That is the great thing about the addon, that it enables you to play "both" sides within "one" game. By my logic it can't become any better.
So this appears like a simple jealousy born line of argument. Or do you think that with the development of mods for the atlantic the pacific becomes any worse? Or does not get the attention you think it deserves? It's all in the modders hands.

Look, you got a great game here. SH IV now with all the patches is one of the best sub sims there are. Immersion and atmosphere is at it's top. It is a game that, going by your line of argument, fleetboat fans could only dream about for years. But it's here now, it has everything in place to make it even greater. The Atlantic fans have their modders, and so have the Pacific folks. So seriously, where is the problem?

2. That link you posted blows. It was completly uncalled for and I certainly understand your frustration over it. No argument here.

Old 03-23-08, 02:40 PM   #63
Bewolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk

I played SH3 to death. It was time for a change of scenery.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Yes, the Pacific does not seem as gripping as the Atlantic but again, new atmosphere and new game to enjoy. I also got tired of getting spanked all the time in the Atlantic.
Just fair, your conclusion.

Quote:
As far as the 'dissess', the 'dissing' was mutual.
Which I adressed in my post, if you actually read it.

Quote:
You just might want to stand back and qualify this statement. Very open ended and open for ridicule. Is this were the 'dissing' comes into play from the u boat fan?
Not more or less open for ridicule then the original posting. That was just asking for debate. If you let that slip and concentrate on my posting, it is pretty much obvious where your stance is in this.

Quote:
Sorry for your disappointment. No were in the manual did it say the player must make Bewolf happy. For that matter the manual did not say much of anything.
Pity, thought this could be done without involving names.

Quote:
I recommend you do not start such a thread. The only clear thing I see here is your distaste for the other members of the forum who would like the Pacific. Therefore, any thoughts of yours look to be skewed. I also detect a bit of hostility towards a certain member. That member has been a bit hostile as well. Mutual hostility. I see your post here as one sided. But hey, that is just me. I think perhaps is a good time to move on from this thread.
Actually an advise I will take. By what you read and see and detect I agree that it indeed does not make much sense to go on here. And I do not have the patience to talk you out of your manyfold assumptions.

Old 03-23-08, 03:42 PM   #64
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Beowolf,

QUOTE:
"No, you are not. Else you'd know that attacking an allied Convoy in 44 alone was as, if not more dangerous then anything the US boats faced, and that includes the heavy stuff like harbor intrusions. Not to start about Scapa Flow or some of the actions involved with the delivery of agents to the US, Canada and the UK. So saying the daring stuff was in the Pacific while the Atlantic was just about convoy duty is a bit....far fetched."

Just one question to you?

You say you are more versed on BOTH the U-Boat Atlantic War and the American
Fleetboat War.

Could you please give some references for your statements?

Old 03-23-08, 03:54 PM   #65
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Bewolf:
Quote:
Actually an advise I will take. By what you read and see and detect I agree that it indeed does not make much sense to go on here. And I do not have the patience to talk you out of your manyfold assumptions.
Wise decision. Thus far, over a year I have yet to see a dicussion on this matter that makes any headway into the differences and the stalwart desire for any of the threaters to reign. I do not see it happening in this thread either. It makes no sense really why this type of discussion keeps on going. Each group seems to take the 'sucker punch' when they have the opportunity. Lets look back at the original post. The member is not happy with the interface in SH4. Fair enough. We move on.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for your disappointment. No were in the manual did it say the player must make Bewolf happy. For that matter the manual did not say much of anything.

Pity, thought this could be done without involving names.

Your post said you were not happy. Therefore, your name went into the response. Should I have used someone elses name? Why no, that would not make much sense nor refer to YOUR discontent. This was in your post, discontent, yes? Oh never mind, you do not have the patience with my assumptions. Carry on.
Old 03-23-08, 04:05 PM   #66
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

The original poster should perhaps have bothered to look at the SH4 mod FAQ. Elements of the user interface were very quickly (and easily) converted to match SH3 for those used to them.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112317

Might need tweaking for 1.5, but that would likely be solved with a bump, and a question.

tater
Old 03-23-08, 04:12 PM   #67
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Tater,

You always got the answers
Old 03-23-08, 04:14 PM   #68
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Can't we all just get along?

Old 03-23-08, 04:26 PM   #69
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer

Group hug

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 03-23-08, 04:30 PM   #70
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Best thread on the subject so far. I've always enjoyed subs and played SH3 into oblivion. Then looked forward to SH IV and the Pacific.

Granted, I didn't like SHIV at first, most for the interface, distance to immersion compared to SHIII and game bugs. Took all the fun out of it at first. But by now it is a pretty playable game with tons of potential.
I liked the subject matter and sailing an american sub was highly interesting, though a bit boring in the long as things actually became easier over time. I never ment that to piss of the Pacific folks, but because that was my honest impression. And japanese ASW was a joke compared to the threats mastered before. Nevertheless, it was fun, a whole new atmosphere and great joy.

Till the U boat missions were announced. First I was really looking forward to it, but then I felt the hate. Pacific drivers, instead of beeing happy for the u boat crowds and the potential of a truly global game, which also includes lots of US Atlantic action potential, got all hostile and passive agressive all of a sudden. U boat disses whereever you looked. A huge dissapointment right there.

Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.

That came and still comes as a great dissapointment and actually gave me a pretty "anti" stance towards the Pacific and their followers. Which is a shame really.

So this thread may help in that. I intended to open a thread just for the purpose of clearing things up anyways. And I am more then willing to bet that some of those hostile pacific fans only started acting this way because they got burned themselves by some atlantic morons. So it's not a one sided thing.
You forgot your GWX banner at the bottom of your sig.

You should have seen the 'dissing' from the SH3 community when SH4 came along. So much for helping a brother out.

What goes around comes around...
Old 03-23-08, 04:33 PM   #71
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
Quote:
Best thread on the subject so far. I've always enjoyed subs and played SH3 into oblivion. Then looked forward to SH IV and the Pacific.

Granted, I didn't like SHIV at first, most for the interface, distance to immersion compared to SHIII and game bugs. Took all the fun out of it at first. But by now it is a pretty playable game with tons of potential.
I liked the subject matter and sailing an american sub was highly interesting, though a bit boring in the long as things actually became easier over time. I never ment that to piss of the Pacific folks, but because that was my honest impression. And japanese ASW was a joke compared to the threats mastered before. Nevertheless, it was fun, a whole new atmosphere and great joy.

Till the U boat missions were announced. First I was really looking forward to it, but then I felt the hate. Pacific drivers, instead of beeing happy for the u boat crowds and the potential of a truly global game, which also includes lots of US Atlantic action potential, got all hostile and passive agressive all of a sudden. U boat disses whereever you looked. A huge dissapointment right there.

Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.

That came and still comes as a great dissapointment and actually gave me a pretty "anti" stance towards the Pacific and their followers. Which is a shame really.

So this thread may help in that. I intended to open a thread just for the purpose of clearing things up anyways. And I am more then willing to bet that some of those hostile pacific fans only started acting this way because they got burned themselves by some atlantic morons. So it's not a one sided thing.
You forgot your GWX banner at the bottom of your sig.

You should have seen the 'dissing' from the SH3 community when SH4 came along. So much for helping a brother out.

What goes around comes around...
Oops!
Sorry Lehmann, Easter Day truce.

I take back what I said about the 'dissing'...
Old 03-23-08, 04:40 PM   #72
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer

I'm with Privateer on this matter. Where this competition like atmosphere came from I do not really know. It is doing nothing but taking up our time when we could be modding, playing or having intelligent conversion.
Old 03-23-08, 04:45 PM   #73
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default hawhawhawhawhaw!!!!!!

A donnybrook I'm not part of. Penelope, please pass the popcorn. I'll sail my U-Boat this week and Kraken the next and be happy as can be in either. There was a U-Boat nicknamed Kraken. Which one was it?

Can we abandon the food fight and ask what interface changes we'd like? I'd LOVE to see the OLC GUI for SH4 U-Boats. Anybody know if that's possible?
Old 03-23-08, 05:19 PM   #74
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Anybody know if that's possible?
Absolutely possible. Pretty much any element of the SH4 GUI and key command set is moddable.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Old 03-23-08, 05:30 PM   #75
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done fighting over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.
Closed Thread