SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-14, 06:36 AM   #16
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

I have made a simple version of this mod for myself, an attempt to circumvent the bug by making Turm 1 permanent.
The longer I play the more I find the choice of turrets purely cosmetic (in the end you'll dive anyway before airplanes), being able to finish my campaign is much more important, and turret 1 is ok.

It makes small changes to UnitIntervals in NSS_Uboat7c.upcge and UnitParts6VIIC.upc, so Turm 1 will be used for the whole war on all VIIC units.

You can help me test, or use it as a blueprint to make similar changes to other boats and turret combos (I will post two screenshots below which show how you can change unit intervals).

http://www.global-explorer.de/201403...20permanent.7z

JSGME ready. Only install on a working installation of lurkers excellent Operation Monsun mod, otherwise it makes no sense and may break your game.

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 03-31-14 at 07:15 AM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 06:37 AM   #17
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Old 03-31-14, 08:25 AM   #18
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Does somebody have a theory why radar would not work on turm 1?

Old 03-31-14, 02:53 PM   #19
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

because that's what happens when you make the game to stick with Turm 1. Everything seems to work so far, but if you ever get to the point where Radar is used, it's greyed out, and the F9 key has no function

Turm 2 and Turm 3 work with radar, and could be configured for the whole war as well. But they seem to give you radar warning receivers early on:
At least I got "empfange Radarsignale" messages from as early as 1942.

So yeah, I see several half-solutions that can all prevent the Umbau desaster from happening, but not one that does everything. Possible solution would be to offer three optional hotfixes, "permanent turm 1", "permanent turm 2" or "permanent turm 3", all with their own drawbacks and advantages. If someone has a better idea, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Old 04-03-14, 03:42 AM   #20
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

I have still not found the why radar is greyed out with Turm 1. What I have found is that all conning tower's have a cfg#R01_Turm7c_*_High node "Radar" (in the .dat)
but it's absent in Turm7c_1_hd.dat.

I am a noob when it comes to dat's. But it defines an axis where the 3D radar Antenna is fixed. That antenna is missing on Turm 1, so it may be the reason radar is not functional.

Anyone here knows how to define cfg#R01_Turm7c_1_High node and make it used by the game?

Old 04-03-14, 05:55 AM   #21
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Bravo Global Explorer,

and thanks for looking into this, now that SH4 and OM have become a secondary theater of war (while nearly one half of subsim is modding SH5 and counting ctds and the other narrow half sticks to SH3 + GWX).

I think you presented a very clever approach that could (if i got it right) be used to have the correct Turm at corresponding dates in a career, just as the great lurker intended:

If you can specify the design of the conning tower with a mod, then a series of Turm I-III mods for Typ VIIc added to (and removed accordingly from) the mod soup after a bunker save would enable the player to have the historically correct conning tower design. Am I wrong?

Another feature of OM I have noticed before is that equipment upgrades are not available at times they should. Those missing items were available after implanting my career information into a new save (see first post). This corresponds to Your observation, that a change in conning tower design brings about different sets of external equipment (i.e. radar).

I would happily test Your Turm-mods. Right now I have made it to "The final years" in SH5 for the first time, so finishing that career is top priority, but for a number of reasons I am eager to return to SH4/OM once the war is lost again.
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:26 AM   #22
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Only to clarify, so far nothing has been achieved. I have only played with the availability intervals so that 1 conning is used for the whole campaign. Basically a "downgrade" from OM that is an attempt to circumvent a well known and inevitable bug.

This can be done for all towers and u-boats in a relatively easy way. But just when I got used to the thought to play Turm 1 forever, I also discovered that Radar is not working on it (this applies to OM with and without my fix). And the (from a gameplay point of view less desirable) variants of using Turm 2 or 3 will permanently introduce other glitches, early availability of a radar warning receiver which may be unacceptable.

On the other hand, all 3 variants seem to work inasfar as that they do not generate crashes, and are perhaps indeed possible fixes for the Turmumbau bug. Right now I'd rather play without (useless) radar than have my campaign break at some point, just when it becomes interesting.

I have contacted Zeewolf, who knows a great deal about the problems, perhaps he can enlighten us about the towers in general.

Old 09-14-15, 07:33 PM   #23
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

I just started my first career in OM. Has anyone gotten through war's end without all these issues?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\SH4 OM\MODS]
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OM_Plot_V415
OM_SH3_Command_Keys
KiUB_English
Old 09-14-15, 07:37 PM   #24
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Nope you have to deal with it every time.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 05:08 PM   #25
SilentThunder
Swabbie

Downloads: 71

Just a thought, would permanent Turm 2 and a further mod that makes the sub radars useless be a good substitute? So that you could "disable" the radar in JSGME as necessary depending on the date?
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 03:27 AM   #26
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder View Post
Just a thought, would permanent Turm 2 and a further mod that makes the sub radars useless be a good substitute? So that you could "disable" the radar in JSGME as necessary depending on the date?
IIRC you need the late war Turms to actually have the late war radar so really one needs to only have the last Turms(or for the VII's the last one or the U-Flak turm) enabled and radar disabled until the appropriate time. Which means that theoretically doing something like that could work...