SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-11, 08:35 PM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Graphical Flooding?

I saw or heard earlier that someone was working on a graphical in the command room version of flooding to be represented when you are flooding? Is this still in progress or been released??

Also, I saw someone talk about actual transparent water, is this at all true or a work in progress or anything??

Regards,

Casey
Old 04-10-11, 09:35 PM   #2
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

That... that sounds very difficult to do in SH3's engine, and without any access to the source code... but if someone is actually doing it and can pull it off, then HOLY *%#*!@$ CRIKEY that is cool
Old 04-11-11, 01:10 AM   #3
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
I saw or heard earlier that someone was working on a graphical in the command room version of flooding to be represented when you are flooding? Is this still in progress or been released??

Also, I saw someone talk about actual transparent water, is this at all true or a work in progress or anything??

Regards,

Casey
Hi mate,

You probably ran in one of my post it is still very early in testing and since i am pretty busy with my team i didn't have time to test it further.

What i did is model a plane simulating water flooding with correct reflexion of water inside the different compartments done with hdri rendering technique and it is very realistic.

So far i need to find a trigger to simulated the water being pump out while repair is going on not an easy one and not sure i will succeed with it but worth trying.

I also have another method with particle system this one is much easier but the water flooding is less realistic but with some work on the material for the particle system i can probably make it look more realistic.

Don't expect to see that very soon only in 3 to 4 month when i will have more time i could spend on it

For the transparent water it is not from me but i did some testing and i don't think it would ever be possible in Sh3

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 01:31 AM   #4
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Awesome!!! I would love the graphical flooding, but I would love more so the transparent water!
Old 04-11-11, 01:44 AM   #5
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Awesome!!! I would love the graphical flooding, but I would love more so the transparent water!
Hi mate,

Like i say don't put hope to high it is not yet done but there is a good chance it would work.

But for transparency i really think it would be very difficult to achieve in any way because we don't have access to the ocean shader it is hard coded.

Even with dll injection i don't think it could be done.

What i try once was to simulate the boat silhouette under water with a large particle system plane where i apply a render of the boat i did underwater in 3d program but when the plane move up and dow with the sub buoyancy it was not looking good at all.

Will try to find early picture test of water flooding to show you how it would look if i can find a trigger like i say earlier.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-11-11, 01:47 AM   #6
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi mate,

Like i say don't put hope to high it is not yet done but there is a good chance it would work.

But for transparency i really think it would be very difficult to achieve in any way because we don't have access to the ocean shader it is hard coded.

Even with dll injection i don't think it could be done.

What i try once was to simulate the boat silhouette under water with a large particle system plane where i apply a render of the boat i did underwater in 3d program but when the plane move up and dow with the sub buoyancy it was not looking good at all.

Will try to find early picture test of water flooding to show you how it would look if i can find a trigger like i say earlier.

Best regards Hans

Ahh thats too bad it was hardcoded, I mean the did it when looking out of the water ( i watched your vids for HAHD) and when you were showing the sub on surface from under water you could see the conning tower and all of that) It makes no sense whatsoever why they wouldnt do the same when looking down in the water But at any rate, maybe you'll be able to figure something out, I have faith

Also, is your mod going to change anything gameplay wise like GWX did too?? (Damage, realistic flooding, crush depths etc etc.)
Old 04-12-11, 02:41 PM   #7
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
So far i need to find a trigger to simulated the water being pump out while repair is going on not an easy one and not sure i will succeed with it but worth trying.
If i understood you correctly, my friend... a mechanism for effects in SH3 was implemented... and this mechanism was implemented in any interior ... via StateMachineWrapper-StateMachineClass ...
For example, look at nodes with $Gen_ prefix in _CR .dat... Those are effect-objects...
Look at StateMachineWrapper and InteriorEffectsManager controllers in _CR.sim...
Look at files with Graph prefix (ex. GraphHitPointsAll.dat) in Library folder, where the logic of effects is described (StateMachineClass)...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 04:17 PM   #8
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
If i understood you correctly, my friend... a mechanism for effects in SH3 was implemented... and this mechanism was implemented in any interior ... via StateMachineWrapper-StateMachineClass ...
For example, look at nodes with $Gen_ prefix in _CR .dat... Those are effect-objects...
Look at StateMachineWrapper and InteriorEffectsManager controllers in _CR.sim...
Look at files with Graph prefix (ex. GraphHitPointsAll.dat) in Library folder, where the logic of effects is described (StateMachineClass)...

Hi Anvart,

Thank mate for pointing me in the right direction but still even if i managed to wrap it to statemachines i wonder how i can make the water level lowering down gradually, i know i can put an animation loop that make the water plane going down but to link it correctly to the repair process is where the real challenge will be i think?

There must be a way to achieve this is only a matter of using the correct way.

Best regards Hans

Last edited by Hans Witteman; 04-14-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:31 PM   #9
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

T'is good to see you contemplating this Hans SH3 won't be the same again with all the work you and your team have put forth

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 08:46 PM   #10
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
T'is good to see you contemplating this Hans SH3 won't be the same again with all the work you and your team have put forth
Hi mate,

Thank for the good words but what is really great about modding SH3 recently is the amazing cooperation of all advanced modders here on Subsim on the last frontier to make this game the best experienced available for complete Atlantic theater.

You now have DivingDuck, Anvart , privateer, Darkwraith, Rubini and others all working at different part of SH3

Just look at the beautiful recent work from Aces outstanding dedication from him

Best regards Hans

Old 04-13-11, 07:11 AM   #11
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Hi Anvart,

Thank mate for pointing me in the right direction but still even if i managed to wrap it to statemachines i wonder how i can make the water level lowering down gradually, i know i can put an animation loop that make the water plane going down but to link it correctly to the repair process is where the real challenge will be i think?

There must be a way to achieve this it only a matter of using the correct way.

Best regards Hans
Just my 2 cents, but couldn't you use what the makes the water level go down on the repair screen for this also?

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 07:56 AM   #12
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Anvart,

There must be a way to achieve this it only a matter of using the correct way.

Best regards Hans
I understand problems in implementation... but only experiment may to place point above i...
Let's start with a simple ... Let's start with available parameters (conditions) such as HasFloodIn, NoFloodIn, HasFlood, NoFlood, HasDamageOn, NoDamageOn... and so on.
Quote:
You now have ..., Anvart , ... and others all working at different part of SH3
Now i'm "as without hands"... without tool...

Last edited by Anvart; 04-13-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 08:08 AM   #13
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
because we don't have access to the ocean shader it is hard coded.
This is the ocean pixel shader code used in SH3

Code:
    ps_1_1
    tex t0
    texbem t1, t0
    mad t1, t1, c0.w, c1.w
    dp3_sat r0, v0_bx2, t0
    lrp r0.xyz, r0.w, c0, c1
    lrp r0.xyz, v0.w, t1, r0
  + mov r0.w, t0.w

// approximately 6 instruction slots used (2 texture, 4 arithmetic)
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 12:46 PM   #14
Anvart
Admiral

ps.1.1
tex t0
texbem t1, t0
tex t2
tex t3
mad t1, t1, c0.a, c1.a
dp3_sat r0, v0_bx2, t0
lrp r0.rgb, r0.a, c0, c1
lrp r0.rgb, v0.a, t1, r0
+mov r0.a, t0.a
mul r1, t3, t2
mul r1, r1, v1
lrp r0.rgb, r1.a, r1, r0
ps.1.1
tex t0
texbem t1, t0
mad t1, t1, c0.a, c1.a
dp3_sat r0, v0_bx2, t0
lrp r0.rgb, r0.a, c0, c1
lrp r0.rgb, v0.a, t1, r0
+mov r0.a, t0.a

Old 04-13-11, 04:50 PM   #15
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Uhhh what does all this stuff below me mean?? Translate it to english! PLEASE!! lol