Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-17-09, 01:30 PM   #1
ottoramsaig
Sailor man

Downloads: 347
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for a tanksim - recommendations?

Moved, with friendly greetings, Skybird

--------------------------------

I am a 32 year time in service 19K40H8 M1A2 Tank Commander looking for a good tank sim. I am a Silent Hunter 4 fanatic but would like to have something in the Armor genre. I have been in contact with Neal as I found out that he was a moderator here, so once again does any one have recomendations?

Last edited by Skybird; 04-17-09 at 04:57 PM.

Old 04-17-09, 01:56 PM   #2
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

Steel Beasts Pro PE if you don't mind the initial outlay.New version just out.Modern tank warfare at its best
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 02:01 PM   #3
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Well, if you'd like to relive your 19K days, then you should look no further than Steel Beasts ProPE. (Ok there is no M1A2 (yet), but there is an M1A1(HA), with M2A2 ODS and M3A2 ODS for the mech. portion.)

Slightly pricier than your average title, but I don't think anyone who has made the plunge has felt cheated. Serious military training software (although only using 'reasonable non-classified data') and available to the public in a slightly cut down form.

WW2 stuff, I'd recommend against Tiger v T34, due to poor quality control and lack of further customer support. This is an unfinished title that will receive no further developement.

Steel Fury 1942 sounds better and is still potentially under development, but is single player only.

Panzer Elite is much older, but has been improved by an active modding community.

Some people enjoy using Red Orchestra or ArmA for some quick tank-shooting fun, but I think they are fairly light on fidelity and complexity for the vehicles.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 03:21 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If WWII era is no must for you, do not look further than SBP. As an Abrams tanker you will feel at home immediately - and might enjoy to find out how the other major Western tank, the Leo2, looks and feels like in several incarnations. Extremely interesting Swedish IFVs also are on offer. It's a benchmark title, so you can buy it blindly.

P.S. And just for the record, Neal is not just a moderator here - he is the owner.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-17-09 at 05:49 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 04:45 PM   #5
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

I have uninstalled my T34 vTiger.Now SBPPE has the upgrade nothing comes close.
Old 04-20-09, 04:37 PM   #6
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

any WW2 tanksim reccomendations ? i got this "tank combat" game but it's to short in missions n such

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 06:25 PM   #7
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

If you don't want to foot the expensive price of Steel Beasts Pro PE (which is definitely astounding), you can do with just Steel Beasts Gold. I'm sure it's still available. It still has a community following and I'm sure it's a lot cheaper. Steel Beasts Pro PE is definitely more on the eye candy and adds a lot more stuff.
Old 08-13-09, 04:08 PM   #8
blanketjones
Nub

Default T-72 Balkans on Fire

I have not played Steel Beasts, but I thought T-72 Balkans on Fire was quite good. Plus, the setting is unique - you play as a Russian mercenary on behalf of the Serbians during the Balkan Wars circa 1994. It was released a few years ago, so it should be cheap to come by at this point.
blanketjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 08:16 AM   #9
Bleser
Watch

I would not give up on T-34 vs. Tiger. You can find a legit copy cheap and it is visually the best looking WWII game out there. Yes, you only get six missions per side (Russia/Germany), but I've owned the game for a month now and still haven't finished them simply because my jaw drops with each mission I play and I can just play them over an over again. High system requirements to get full details, but when you do, WOW, you're really driving a Tiger or T-34-85. Amazing game IMO.

Very sad the company went out of business! But no bugs for me.
Bleser is offline   Reply With Quote