Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-16, 02:51 PM   #271
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi vecko
I have done several missions with those mods in the order they are in and have not had any ctd's at all to date at any time with TWOS either with or without them.
It is not my intention to upset you and in respect of that I will remove then immediately.
I do understand that what may well work for me may not for someone else and then the problem comes to you to sort out.
Keep up the good work
Best wishes
Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 03-17-16 at 05:46 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 02:24 PM   #272
Deep Sea Warrior
Nub

Downloads: 7
Default Silent Hunter 5 sold to me with a used key

Hi all.
I have just brought Silent Hunter 5 via ebay and believed that it was ok to use the activation key,now I find out that once the key has been used,it cannot be used again by someone who brought the disc from the original purchaser.

Does anybody know where I can buy the key(as cheap as possible) please?
Deep Sea Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 02:43 PM   #273
THEBERBSTER

Hi DSW
As you have discovered although you can buy second hand SH5 dvd's they are useless.
As you have bought it through Ebay you should be able to return it and get a refund.
If the seller refuses to accept it back then contact Ebay and explain the situation that the seller has sold you something you cannot use.
If you paid for the dvd through Paypal you have an option here also if necessary.
It maybe your seller quite innocently did not know that the dvd is locked to the original system for life, you will soon find out when you ask to return it.
I would suggest you pick up a new dvd from Amazon or you could purchase a download but not Steam.
Not the best way to welcome you back to Subsim.
Peter
Old 03-26-16, 04:38 AM   #274
Deep Sea Warrior
Nub

Thanks THEBERBSTER

I have spoken with the seller.I really believe that he is being truthful(after checking his feedback) when he told me that he had no idea that once the key had been used,it could not be used by another person.He has offered a refund,but as I did not pay much for the game(thinking that I had fell on my feet) I will put this down to experience.
My asking if anybody knew where I could get a key was a last ditch attempt by me to use the disc.

Thanks for the info, I know what to look for now and will be more careful.
Old 03-26-16, 08:11 AM   #275
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim DSW

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 04:03 PM   #276
Deep Sea Warrior
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Welcome to SubSim DSW
Thanks
Jimbuna
Old 03-30-16, 04:08 PM   #277
aaflagsht
Swabbie

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Is there another download link for this file? Google continuously flags it as malicious and I can't seem to proceed without it.
aaflagsht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:41 PM   #278
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaflagsht View Post
Is there another download link for this file? Google continuously flags it as malicious and I can't seem to proceed without it.

if u can tell me the file name i can help u.... but i have no clue what is that file without know his name ..... and for me say the same think .....
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 05:11 PM   #279
aaflagsht
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
if u can tell me the file name i can help u.... but i have no clue what is that file without know his name ..... and for me say the same think .....
If you look back at the original quote, he mentions downloading that file, which is apparently named "UniExtract"? Not much detail beyond that.
Old 03-30-16, 05:39 PM   #280
THEBERBSTER

Hi aaflagsht
What was the mod you were looking for?
How did you find the address to where you hoped to find it?
As Sjizzle says we need more information so you can be helped
Peter
Old 03-30-16, 06:16 PM   #281
aaflagsht
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Last updated 10th November 2015

sh5.exe genericpatcher to work with steam.

Hi

First off, I'm new to these forums so I'm really sorry if I'm being redundant with this information.

I'm really sleepy after a day of work and I just wanted to write down the steps, but I thought that perhaps somebody would like to try this already so instead of cleaning up the steps and keeping the steps for myself another couple of days I'll just publish this rough draft and let you guys have any eventual laughs due to my mistakes.
I will try to clean it up by tomorrow evening or so.

I do appreciate that this is not fun for anybody, so please only do this if you know what you're doing until enough people can confirm that this actually works or if I'm all wrong and making a fool out of myself.

This is kind of like a science experiment, I have results I want you guys to try to reproduce. Thank you for helping me out:

Go download "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" from:
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...oad/55318.html

Download & Install: http://legroom.net/scripts/download....=uniextract161

Right click on the "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" you downloaded in step 1. choose "UniExtract to Subdir", choose "isxunpack extraction" under "Extract Method".

Step 3 should have resulted in a folder called "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu"

Download & Install the "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b527nf6771b2u4j/InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer.rar

Start program and go to File => Open => "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu\Disk1\data1.hdr"

View => Components

Click on "Game" and then "Files", find sh5.exe in the list.
save it on your desktop.

Start up Steam, right click on "Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic" => Properties => local files => Browse Local files.

Find the sh5.exe file in the list and rename it to sh5_steam.exe.

Go to your desktop and rename the sh5.exe file which you extracted from the ubisoft patches cab file to sh5_patched.exe and copy it into your silent hunter 5 folder where the sh5_steam.exe you renamed file resides.

Copy the sh5_patched.exe file so you have 2 of them, and rename one of them sh5.exe

Tadaa

Now you should be able to run the genericpatcher and update your sh5.exe file and when you launch it from steam it wont make a difference since steam is actually only launching uplay, and uplay does not seem to care if you're running a modded file or not.

Im assuming its legal because we are just getting the patch ubi made, so we are not cracking anything. It might go against steams EULA though... but then again I'm not so sure about where things stand in regards to the legality of modifying binary files on a whole. anyway hydrophone works, yay.

edit:
https://twitter.com/steam_support/st...10796128243712
https://twitter.com/deadislandgame/s...96399760142336

...seems like we should be safe.

When things go wrong

If you get an error when trying to run "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer", please try downloading whatever file its saying that you're missing from here:

Example: http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab

Then extract the cab file and copy the file into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 [windows 7] or c:\Windows\System32 folder, [for older versions of windows]

Start your terminal (run => cmd.exe) and type
cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32<push Enter key>

The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32

Then type:
regsvr32<push spacebar>mscomctl.ocx <push Enter key>

Oh right, so the reason I wanted you to make a backup of the sh5.exe file is two fold, one is so that you can go back to the steam version if you think my idea is stupid. second, sometimes steam will overwrite your .exe file, its not happened to me yet, but i know that if you run "validate my files" it will see that you have modified your file and assume it is broken because its not the same size it knows it should be and overwrite it. So you should be covered in both cases.

Last edited by sirrawrsalot; 07-22-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Courtesy acknowledgments to sirrawrsalot and Kevinsue

The above instructions by sirrawrsalot have been taken from the original Post #1 with an additions from Kevinsue to make this now work fully.

New Additional Information
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=92

Courtesy acknowledgement to arnesw

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=12

Courtesy acknowledgement to AADrcw

Ok sorry for the size but here's the full quote. I'm trying to get TDWs Generic File Patcher to work with Steam, and the link I quoted a few posts back, (which is step #2 in the quote),that it is inaccessible to me because it's flagged by Google as a malicious site. I can't access/download a program called "UniExtract", which is apparently part of the process of enabling the Generic Patcher. Here's what I see when I try to open the link:

http://imgur.com/MyuA4vy

I just need a mirror to download this file. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-30-16, 06:48 PM   #282
THEBERBSTER

Hi aaflagsht
My only suggestion is to PM one of the post users or sirrawrsalot and Kevinsue and see if they can email it to you.

Googling this http://www.npackd.org/p/net.legroom....xtractor/1.6.1
explains a bit more of what this seems to do.

If you can get the SH5 dvd then this would be the best option for now and any future re-installation.
Peter
Old 03-30-16, 07:11 PM   #283
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Deep Sea Warrior!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 06:18 PM   #284
aaflagsht
Swabbie

Hey, I need more help. I was able to fix the uniextract problem by finding a mirror for it on mediafire. My next problem now is step five, which is installing "InstallShield Cabinet File Viewer". In the link he provided, the .rar file merely contains an InstallShield folder with a few files and a few executables. I've tried opening two of the .exe files (ISCAB, and ISCabVu). ISCAB opens up a command prompt window then immediately closes. Nothing else happens. ISCabVu gives me this error: "Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I've already tried looking up solutions on google, but alas, I can't find any for my problem. Help?
Old 04-01-16, 05:42 AM   #285
THEBERBSTER

Hi aa
Unfortunately I do not have any experience of STEAM or this conversion.
There are many who have successfully installed this so I would look to these people for answers to questions and send a PM or two.
I am just the messenger in all this.
Have you tried changing both the .exe to run as administrator's.
Peter