SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-18, 03:28 PM   #1
mattinkent
Nub

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 and GWX3 on W7

Hello all,

After more than a few years away, I decided that the Atlantic was calling again...I worked my way through SH5 which is, well, Ubisoft, innit? Then I tried SH4 but it's the Battle of the Atlantic I wanted so installed my Steam copy of SH3 and GWX3 on my new rig which runs W7 Ultimate. I read up - thank you all as ever - installed the ARB WideGui which works well, right up until I enter a mission and the I get a CTD.

You all know this, you all discussed it six years ago and I tried everything...4gb patch, V16B1 patch, I run as admin, have tried compatibility of W7, XPSP3 XPSP2...

Bearing in mind that my Vista disc is long since scratched to death and I won't install XP in my house network for obvious hacker reasons, plus building another computer just so I can relive the GW3 heyday seems...well, I have a three year old now. Not sure I have the time...I guess the question is: is there a solution now, is there anything I haven't tried...or is it over?

Any help, advice or sympathy gratefully received.

Matt x
mattinkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 10:07 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back

mattinkent! after a nine year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 12:30 PM   #3
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hello mattinkent,
Does the game run properly without the wideGUI mod? Asking just to narrow things down.

I had the same problems before and I'm not 100 % sure what did the trick but after trying the tips on the dedicated thread I've no been CTD free for a while:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...215433&page=25

If that specific wideGUI mod gives you problems maybe you should try another one to be sure.
Old 08-09-18, 04:52 PM   #4
mattinkent
Nub

Downloads: 13
Default Success

So, to cut a long story short, I uninstalled the whole and wiped the folders. Installed the Vanillla Steam version and it worked. Installed GWX and it worked. So I guess, yes, it was the Widescreen mod that borked it. Thank you.

The question is, since ARB WideGui isn't going to work (the thread for that is 29 pages long and if there's a solution I haven't found it yet), what else might I use?...and, dare I say it, do I really need one? I played GWX for a bit last night and can't say the lack of HD bothered me much.

What does everyone think?
mattinkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 02:16 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

I can’t install ARB wide gui too. BUT Ahnenerbe wide gui 1920x1080 is very fine and works a charm.
Anyway ARB is based on Ahnenerbe...
Google Ahnenerbe wide gui 1920x1080 and you’ll find it
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 03:13 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > mattinkent
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Can be found like most things from my tutorials signature.
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final > LSH3 Compatible > Enable JSGME.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 03:50 PM   #7
SonarBoy
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hi all
My first post on the site. I too haven't played SH3 for years but really fancy another go on it. I have an old Aldi, Medion PC with windows 7 on it. Probably 4gb ram. (Not powered it up for prob two years)I think I still have th original game disc in the box somewhere. Will I be able to use that to install on windows 7 or will I need to buy the game from Steam?
From looking around it seems I might need some 1.4 patches and a 'star force' remover and maybe a no DVD patch? Can anyone help?
Thanks
SonarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 12:02 AM   #8
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonarBoy View Post
Hi all
My first post on the site. I too haven't played SH3 for years but really fancy another go on it. I have an old Aldi, Medion PC with windows 7 on it. Probably 4gb ram. (Not powered it up for prob two years)I think I still have th original game disc in the box somewhere. Will I be able to use that to install on windows 7 or will I need to buy the game from Steam?
From looking around it seems I might need some 1.4 patches and a 'star force' remover and maybe a no DVD patch? Can anyone help?
Thanks
Don’t buy it again, and do not get this crappy steam.
Of course you can install the dvd version on win7 without trouble.
Make sure to install it on your C drive (outside the program filesX86)
With star force remover you won’t need the dvd anymore to play SH3.
Get and install the H.sie patch as well. It contains the 4GB patch to allow you max ram, and many must have features.
Read with caution TheBerbester tutorial links to get this all right

Welcome on the forum!
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote