SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-16, 07:37 PM   #1
NathanBrittles
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Dunkirk

Here it comes. The Chris Nolan [ ''Batman'' ] version of Operation DYNAMO and the incredible saga of the 1940 evacuation, scheduled for a 2017 release. How Nolan will handle his subject is, of course open to debate, however, it is good to see a more expansive WWII film headed to the big screen. Naval action here includes the sinking of HMS GRAFTON by U-62 [ Michalowski, Type IIC ], and HMS WAKEFUL by a German Schnellboot [ S-30? ] taking almost 700 men to the bottom with her.
NathanBrittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 07:49 AM   #2
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Not sure about this one. Christopher Nolan makes good movies, but they're all too long and full of themselves for their own good. It'll probably be better than Pearl Harbor or U-571, but then again, most movies are.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 02:09 PM   #3
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Not sure about this one. Christopher Nolan makes good movies, but they're all too long and full of themselves for their own good. It'll probably be better than Pearl Harbor or U-571, but then again, most movies are.
Did you hear the latest about U-571's director's latest movie? Not only did he openly insult Marvel, but apparently the movie he made, Suicide Squad, is terrible. And it's the first time my favourite comic book character, Harley Quinn, has been in a movie. I feel like this guy is deliberately trolling me
Old 08-13-16, 12:19 AM   #4
NathanBrittles
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

I'm inclined to cut him some slack based on what little I have seen of the trailers, and most importantly, the fact that Dunkirk has been nearly ignored by the silver screen until now. The impact the evacuation had on future operations which allowed the British to ''live and fight another day'' simply cannot be underestimated, especially when we consider the fact that the men of Dunkirk, would soon become participants in the new theaters, abortive and no, of North Africa, Norway, and Singapore.
NathanBrittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 12:26 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
And it's the first time my favourite comic book character, Harley Quinn, has been in a movie.
Technically true, but Harley was created for the Batman animated series, and only came to the comics after that show's success.
Old 08-13-16, 06:55 AM   #6
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Technically true, but Harley was created for the Batman animated series, and only came to the comics after that show's success.
Old 08-14-16, 01:02 AM   #7
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I had a really good Dunkirk comic book back in the seventies. It could make a great movie. I think maybe this is it

Maybe they got a discount on wardrobe if they didn't dirty up the uniforms for the trailer?
Old 04-05-17, 05:06 PM   #8
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Here we go. Nice trailer, but I am very nitpicky; I wonder if I'll like the whole thing. I'm hoping for accurate Destroyer models! I hated the modern-looking ships in "Pearl Harbor".
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote