Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-14, 10:47 AM   #61
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Just watch the movie "Chicken Run" and you will get the best of all the POW movies.
Old 08-23-14, 11:07 AM   #62
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

[QUOTE=Joefour;2235089]I didn't even know there were PC games about POWs. I've always been interested in flight...

If you visit my question entitled "The Great Escape" under Subsims & Naval Games>General Games Discussions, you'll find a kind soul has posted a YT video clip illustrating this game. I don't know whether a like video of "Prisoner of War" exists.

Are you an aeromodeller or a flight-simmer, Joefour??
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 12:25 PM   #63
Joefour
Engineer

Downloads: 109

[QUOTE=Eichhornchen;2235949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefour View Post
I didn't even know there were PC games about POWs. I've always been interested in flight...

If you visit my question entitled "The Great Escape" under Subsims & Naval Games>General Games Discussions, you'll find a kind soul has posted a YT video clip illustrating this game. I don't know whether a like video of "Prisoner of War" exists.

Are you an aeromodeller or a flight-simmer, Joefour??
I used to do a lot of flight sims before I recently got addicted to SH.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 01:11 PM   #64
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I got fed up standing around waiting for fsx to load up, plus it never ran well (does it for anyone) so I recently uninstalled it. fs9 is still my favourite, with photo scenery.

I really wanted to set up this development of cfs3 called "Wings: Over Flanders Fields" which apparently has transformed the basic simulator in every way, whilst turning it into the best WW1 combat sim (I was so angry to find that "Rise of Flight" is online only). Have you heard about this sim? It's download only, so far as I can tell.

I do still enjoy an occasional melee in "First Eagles" and have all the Ubisoft IL-2s plus "Wings of Prey".

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-23-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 01:27 PM   #65
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've known about OFF for years, but my ancient computer won't run it.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...landers+fields
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...landers+fields

I say I've known about the original for years, but this is the first I've heard of this latest development. Early '15? Enemy who don't want to fight? I'm all for it!
Old 08-23-14, 01:39 PM   #66
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Visit: www.wingsoverflandersfields.com

I'm going away to drink my beer now.
Old 08-23-14, 02:14 PM   #67
Joefour
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
Visit: www.wingsoverflandersfields.com

I'm going away to drink my beer now.
Interesting game, but I don't think it will run on my old machine, it barely runs SH.

"I love the smell of burning oil slicks in the morning. It smells like...Victory!"
Old 08-23-14, 02:18 PM   #68
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

It' not gonna run on mine, either. I know it.
Old 08-23-14, 02:35 PM   #69
Joefour
Engineer

Quote:
I got fed up standing around waiting for fsx to load up, plus it never ran well (does it for anyone) so I recently uninstalled it. fs9 is still my favourite, with photo scenery.

I really wanted to set up this development of cfs3 called "Wings: Over Flanders Fields" which apparently has transformed the basic simulator in every way, whilst turning it into the best WW1 combat sim (I was so angry to find that "Rise of Flight" is online only). Have you heard about this sim? It's download only, so far as I can tell.

I do still enjoy an occasional melee in "First Eagles" and have all the Ubisoft IL-2s plus "Wings of Prey".
I have never tried running FSX on my decrepit old machine either because I don't think it would run. I have however run CFS3, CFS2, and MS Rise of Flight on XP with no problem. There is an interesting (free) add on for CFS2 called RAAF Defence (see, I mispelled defense!) which is centered around the Aussies. Excellent add on. I think I found it and others at www.flightsim.com.
The only thing is that the P-40s in it are gutless and won't climb worth a damn. I usually cheat and use a Hellcat or Corsair (which have methanol/water injection on demand). Makes it a lot easier to keep up with those flying beer cans the Japs called Zeros.

Old 08-23-14, 02:46 PM   #70
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

You're not doing so bad if you can run Rise of Flight, I would've thought.

I DO like cfs2: I downloaded some Battle of Britain Hurricane skins the other day and have been searching ever since for the "old" Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane Mk1 they were designed for, which is supposed to have run in cfs2. The www.netwings.org website is always down for some inexplicable reason; they're supposed to have it, along with lots of other cfs2 aircraft.

The controls work so well in this sim, whereas I have a lot of trouble with the HAT switch in IL-2 and BoBII.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-23-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 03:12 PM   #71
Joefour
Engineer

Quote:
You're not doing so bad if you can run Rise of Flight, I would've thought.

I DO like cfs2: I downloaded some Battle of Britain Hurricane skins the other day and have been searching ever since for the "old" Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane Mk1 which is supposed to have run in cfs2. The www.netwings.org website is always down for some inexplicable reason (they're supposed to have it, along with lots of other cfs2 stuff).
I dunno, it runs. It certainly isn't a gaming computer. Try going to flightsim.com and do a search under CFS2. You will come up with tons of stuff for it. Skins dashboards, planes and missions. One guy even designed a model of the SR-71 for MS FS by working with an ex Blackbird pilot (no classified stuff of course). I flew LA to NY in 2 hrs. at 90,000+ ft. and Mach 3. Ground speed in excess of 1780 if I remember right. It even deploys a parachute when you touch down.

Old 08-23-14, 05:42 PM   #72
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I'll take a look there, thanks. It's been a great disappointment that I haven't been able to get BoBII to stay up on my pc (see my other thread in General Games) but I remain hopeful. I think it's because this doesn't work properly I'm looking elsewhere for a good combat Hurricane. I just don't like those in IL-2: quite apart from the misbehaving HAT button they sound awful.

When it comes to realistic engine sound, have you got the Just Flight "Dambusters" for cfs2/FS2002? I've stood under the wing of Just Jane on start-up and I promise you this is EXACTLY how it sounds!
Old 08-23-14, 06:31 PM   #73
Joefour
Engineer

Quote:
I'll take a look there, thanks. It's been a great disappointment that I haven't been able to get BoBII to stay up on my pc (see my other thread in General Games) but I remain hopeful. I think it's because this doesn't work properly I'm looking elsewhere for a good combat Hurricane. I just don't like those in IL-2: quite apart from the misbehaving HAT button they sound awful.

When it comes to realistic engine sound, have you got the Just Flight "Dambusters" for cfs2/FS2002? I've stood under the wing of Just Jane on start-up and I promise you this is EXACTLY how it sounds!
Who knows, you might find a Hurricane suitable to your liking at flightsim. Personally, I like the P-38 for it's fire power. The big drawback is it's turning radius sucks. It's too hard in the simulation to do what Dick Bong used to do--feather one of his props to swing his tail around and bring his guns to bear on that Zero in front of him.

Old 08-23-14, 07:09 PM   #74
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Another movie I'd been meaning to mention, and since this is "PoW stuff" after all, is "The One That Got Away" starring Hardy Kruger. Seen it? That would be a good candidate for a remake, I think.

And I don't know whether I already mentioned the fact that part of another b/w escape classic, "One of Our Aircraft is Missing" was filmed near here, on the river in Boston. In it you can see the top of Boston "Stump" (the tower of St Botolph's Church). It's very like the Netherlands landscape here, so was used for filming that sequence. The "Stump" is visible for miles around.
Old 08-23-14, 07:33 PM   #75
Joefour
Engineer

Quote:
Another movie I'd been meaning to mention, and since this is "PoW stuff" after all, is "The One That Got Away" starring Hardy Kruger. Seen it? That would be a good candidate for a remake, I think.

And I don't know whether I already mentioned the fact that part of another b/w escape classic, "One of Our Aircraft is Missing" was filmed near here, on the river in Boston. In it you can see the top of Boston "Stump" (the tower of St Botolph's Church). It's very like the Netherlands landscape here, so was used for filming that sequence. The "Stump" is visible for miles around.
Never seen it.