SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-10, 06:16 AM   #16
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You want more dynamics and less realism. The pleasure from game is more important than history. I understand you.

In game are put in pawn idea of a simulator and historicity. We have spent many months for studying of a subject of game. We consulted to historians and military men in Russia and in the USA. Unfortunately I too badly write to describe all details in English. I will comment on some moments.

1. The physics of movement of the ships in game is not true only in one. At turn the ships lose speed. We did not begin to do it.

2. Management of groups is realised on the basis of the analysis of instructions and historical battles. I will write it once again. Do not pay attention to THEORIES of admirals. Analyze only practice. It has been thought up various theories of management by the steam ships in fight, but in a reality it is possible ONLY two variants. The general dump and chaos or fight in columns. Esteem attentively instructions before fight of any admiral. For each ship its place in a column was specified. An admiral ALWAYS by the first ship.

Admiral David Glasgow Farragut never changed the leader. 1864 Schleswig War - there is no change of leaders. 1864-70 Triple Alliance War - there is no change of the leader in fight. 1864-66 Guano War - there is no change of the leader in fight. 1866 Austro-Italian War - change of the leader at Italy before fight has deprived a management squadron. Change of the leader during fight is not possible. Fighting instructions describe an order of change of the leader in fight. After an exit of the leader from battle by the new leader there is a ship following it.

Why commanders of squadrons always by the biggest and powerful ship. Because it should sustain most of all damages.

3. Probably it will surprise you, but an admiral in fight supervised over nothing. All work on the fleet organisation has been made earlier. It is boring, it not for game, but it is the truth.

We respect your opinion, sometime we will make dynamical arcade game.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 02:35 AM   #17
basti107
Mate

Downloads: 68
Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864

i just bought "Ironclads: High Seas" via Steam and really like the game.
started a "campaign" with the CS Navy. First i rammed an enemy ship with my casemate ship. The enemy didn't take any damage.
Now i read the pdf-manual and see that the CS Navy casemate ships do not have an armor turret.
Did i do something wrong e.g. the angel and the speed were bad?

And another question: what is the exact difference between Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864 and - High Seas. Just the setting and the ships?
basti107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:45 PM   #18
DoubleVetetan
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Just bought the game off Steam....liking it so far

Could you add a couple more formations, like "line-abreast" and "Vee"? These were used during the period; e.g. during the battle of Lissa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba..._Situation.svg
DoubleVetetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 05:22 AM   #19
Maxim
Totem Games

2 Basti107\

Casemate ironclad can not penetrate the board. The manual deals with two other types of vessel - turret ship and ironclad ship. They can be bought in the late game.

Ironclads: Schleswig War in 1864 we made a game for Europe, but during the test to his surprise received a very different impression. It seems to me that this is due to differences in design and artillery of European ships. I urge you to spend the extra money. See the demo and decide for yourself.

2 DoubleVeteran\

Studies of the tactics of sea battles describes the battle near the island of Lissa as an exception to the rule. Hasty and incorrect conclusions of the theorists of this battle have created many problems for the actual running of the fleet. The high cost of coal is not a long time did not allow to test new theories, even during exercise.

When steam engines began to spend less coal is on the teachings of claimed several ships. Practices show that the battle could only manage a line of ships.

Recall that the Italian fleet was out of control and plan the battle. Austrians suddenly attacked the enemy at anchor. A more difficult to talk about formations ...

Last edited by Maxim; 05-04-10 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 08:13 AM   #20
DoubleVetetan
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Thnx for the quik reply, Typical Russian.

A couple more questions:

1- The firing ranges of all the ships seem to be very short; say about 200 meters or less (judging from the game scale). The guns on these ships were capable of firing better than 1,000 meters. Why are the ranges so short, and is there a way to mod the firing ranges?

2- I found out from Totem Games tech support that the Steam version of High Seas is not capatible with your free DLC to add new functionality and two new ships; only the version DLed from Totem Games will work. Why is the Steam version different?

Thnx,

DV
DoubleVetetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 10:28 AM   #21
Maxim
Totem Games

Parrott rifle can fire a shell weighing 45 kg at a distance of approximately 7000 meters. However, analysis of the battles of the 1860's shows that the sighting shot was possible at a distance of no more than 200-300 meters. This is due to the quality of manufacturing barrels of guns, the type of cut, the quality of black powder, a huge weight of guns and primitive sighting system.

Add to that the pitching and rolling and smoke from the shots. Look how many hits has made the Union fleet bombarded Fort Sumter. Note that a huge fort and motionless, as the ships fired still in good weather.

Distance increase is not difficult, but it will not be the American Civil War.

We now make a new scenario for "Ironclads". It will be a conflict between the U.S. and Germany in 1889 for control of the Samoa (What IF). There will be a completely different guns, a distance of battle, the first rapid-fire guns and torpedo boats.

Unfortunately Steam version is not compatible with a High Seas free DLC. You can not install it. We try to resolve this issue with the publisher hosting the game on the Steam.