SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
silenthunter183
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Poland, South of Baltic Sea
Posts: 9
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 TWOS newbie questions

Hello there.
Sorry if this was somewhere answered, but I couldn't manage to search and store such amount of info. I'm a newbie to this sim and I'm learning it now, so I'm sorry for stupid questions
Questions:
1. I understand that TAI is very useful tool, but after installing TWOS when I lock target with spacebar, I can see crosshair on TAI map - this destroys immersion of no map info of real nav mod. How to disable it? (I can't see such option in TAI map options)
2. When I need to use hydrophone, I use teleport buttons. But when i'm back to scope, it is all lowered down. How can I block periscope lowering down?
3. On TDW torp tutorial I managed to learn how to use commands for almost automatic finding target and speed calculation. But I found after hitting a torpedo, a stupid "health bar" (if i can name it's like that). How can I disable it?
4. How can I call XO officer without locking (using spacebar) a target?
5. Should I always reset my scope for 0 degree gyroangle for attack?
6. I can see everytime I set manual input for data, and turn it on again, it resets all of my angle of bow and speed data. What is the correct order for using manual input? should it stay on all time or off (off - manual input on - no red button).
7. When I order my crew on little rough sea to use the deck gun and shot a merchant ship, after 2 shots they dissapear and I have to order again using the gun. What is happening? Are they made of sugar? :P

Again, sorry for the newbie questions, but I try to introduce myself to this sim with great modpack. Actually I try to learn also a crew managment system and RAOFB wheel. I started my learning with a basic ship handling and then I had to kill something so I'm learning TDC now.
I'm thankfull for any answer!
silenthunter183 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 8,314
Downloads: 956
Uploads: 0


Default

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > silenthunter183
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Quote:
1. I understand that TAI is very useful tool, but after installing TWOS when I lock target with spacebar, I can see crosshair on TAI map - this destroys immersion of no map info of real nav mod. How to disable it? (I can't see such option in TAI map options)
If the Real Navigation mod is enabled in JSGME then you should not see anything on either the Nav or TAI map. What mods have you enabled?

Please post your mod list.
Post #9 JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post > Pictorial

Quote:
2. When I need to use hydrophone, I use teleport buttons. But when i'm back to scope, it is all lowered down. How can I block periscope lowering down?
This is a setting in the OFEV that needs to be disabled.




Quote:
3. On TDW torp tutorial I managed to learn how to use commands for almost automatic finding target and speed calculation. But I found after hitting a torpedo, a stupid "health bar" (if i can name it's like that). How can I disable it?
Not sure what you mean as the tutorial will differ from actual game play.


Quote:
4. How can I call XO officer without locking (using spacebar) a target?
Click on the XO icon.



Quote:
5. Should I always reset my scope for 0 degree gyroangle for attack?
If you have taken up a 90 degree fast shoot after having locked the
target, setting the periscope to the zero gyro angles on both dials will give you a high success rate.

Quote:
6. I can see everytime I set manual input for data, and turn it on again, it resets all of my angle of bow and speed data. What is the correct order for using manual input? should it stay on all time or off (off - manual input on - no red button).
Assuming I am understanding you correctly you only need to leave it on with the current target.


Quote:
7. When I order my crew on little rough sea to use the deck gun and shot a merchant ship, after 2 shots they dissapear and I have to order again using the gun. What is happening? Are they made of sugar? :P
No they have gone to change their socks.
This is an irritating and annoying SH5 feature which has no flexibility as such compared with SH3 and 4 where you can adjust the config files.

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
silenthunter183
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Poland, South of Baltic Sea
Posts: 9
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Thank you for the answers. I will check TDW and XO officer button.
I'm sad about bug with deck gun.
Here is a list of all mods enabled by JSGME:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Pliki gier\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\TWoS_Parts]

TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
TWoS Encrypted BdU Orders
TWoS Real Navigation
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID

And there is this "crosshair" on TAI map. I don't know how to disable it.

Foto

I'm really thankfull for your help. I will be probably asking more questions soon.
silenthunter183 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 8,314
Downloads: 956
Uploads: 0


Default

Hi sh
You have a conflict here with these 2 mods.
TWoS Real Navigation
Real Navigation is where you do all the work, Map bearings, setting your course, target identification, and all TDC work and more.

TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID
This mod does the target identification for you so you are going to see items on the map that should not be there when Real Navigation enabled.

If you want to play 100% realistically in your game then this mod needs to be disabled and you TAI map problem will disappear.
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID


Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
silenthunter183
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Poland, South of Baltic Sea
Posts: 9
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm really frustrated now.
I started campaing and of course first mission is Baltic Operation. I think "great, easy mission" I even heard that this is tutorial mission for this campaign.
Well, after playing it 3 times, I think it's plain stupid mission. I don't know how to pass it!
Objective: Report/Intercept Polish Taskforce. Well that is not hard, I managed to get close enough to even identify ships of Polish destroyers (V&W class and Gryf Mines placer). Well I even managed to destroy Gryf!
But I don't understand what I should do next - when I'm looking in objectives, I see on going - attack order. What it means? I sunk 1 ship. Almost zero merchant traffic (this is actually pretty understandable, war started and no ships are travelling near frontline.) I got 1 merchant contact but it evaporated (I couldn't mange to track it due taskforce) Otherwise, I think doing "tutorial" mission about killing 2 destroyers is stupid...
I tried sending radio report about taskforce contact. I get answer (Maintain at your own...)

What is the meaning and objective of this mission??????????

EDIT: I noticed that encryption message was sent to me, first time I decoded it wrong (I checked radio message received date instead of date of encryption ) After decoding, order: ATTACK ANY SHIPPING ENTERING OR LEAVING DANZIG BAY. Is this means I have to also attack mentioned taskforce?
Regards.

Last edited by silenthunter183; 07-18-2018 at 07:57 AM.
silenthunter183 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 8,314
Downloads: 956
Uploads: 0


Default

Hi SH
There are 2 mission objectives.
1. Is the 2 Polish warships, identifying the task force.
2. Is to sink 2 ships which can be Merchants or Warships.
Your orders are to proceed to the Danzig Bay area to stop any mine laying.
Here you will be able to attack any shipping leaving this area.
When the objectives are completed as in the picture


you will receive a radio message with orders to say your base has changed from Memel to Kiel.
You can now make your way to Kiel.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
silenthunter183
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Poland, South of Baltic Sea
Posts: 9
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Thanks for brief explanation
I just sunk to little. As I said, I sunk only Gryf. Going to find some more targets.
Kudos.
silenthunter183 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 821
Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default

Additionally to what Peter 'THEBERBSTER' has adviced you, within the TWoS mod there is the OFEV (Options File Editor Viewer) and a doc about how to use it, it's not too difficult. You can make and adapt most changes in the UI, TAI map, NavMap etc. like you want, but keep in mind that when you play Real Navigation you should mainly keep the Default settings, maybe only changing the UI between SH5Enhanced or SH3-style.


The basic rule is: If you cannot change something in-game with the options, then the OFEV can do it...
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 8,314
Downloads: 956
Uploads: 0


Default

Hi SH
If you get stuck you can always fall back on this.
Post #416 Enigma Machine Code Breaking When You Do Not Have The Time > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
silenthunter183
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Poland, South of Baltic Sea
Posts: 9
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Again, back with another question.
I learned 4 bearing method, it is pretty useful UNTIL target moves slower than 10 knots. When it moves more than 10, it is very hard to catch it up later to approach to better 90 degree position to ship. At least this is my first impressions after trying to use 4 bearing with Real nav on Baltic campaign. Also, most of my calcs are not correct due Real nav errors in plotting my position on map. Except for 4 bearing method and Hydro hunt method (which I can't use now because I don't have range sonar), what is the best way to approach the target with Real nav? I was trying to maintain it visually, to overtake merchant ships, get a little bit closer and then submerge and wait for them, but I found when I do it, I think, not correctly? Ships are very close almost they spot me before I submerge or get on convenient position for attack. I watched 4 bearing method of stoianm and others, but as I said, they have their sub position on map and I'm figuring it out with Real nav. I also did tutorial in-game, but for me it is a little bit "set" (perfect celestial first fix on actual sub position... Game also does everything with ship moving for us, so there's no way to practice it.
What is the best tactic to correctly approach target, with real nav, after doing all calculations e.g. 4 bearing, hydro hunt? I can't find such videos for that, almost all videos aren't using Real nav, and they have sub position on map. If you, better hunters would like to show me correct way, I would be thankful.
Regards!.
silenthunter183 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #11
Captain_AJ
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 572
Downloads: 256
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthunter183 View Post
Again, back with another question.
I learned 4 bearing method, it is pretty useful UNTIL target moves slower than 10 knots. When it moves more than 10, it is very hard to catch it up later to approach to better 90 degree position to ship. At least this is my first impressions after trying to use 4 bearing with Real nav on Baltic campaign. Also, most of my calcs are not correct due Real nav errors in plotting my position on map. Except for 4 bearing method and Hydro hunt method (which I can't use now because I don't have range sonar), what is the best way to approach the target with Real nav? I was trying to maintain it visually, to overtake merchant ships, get a little bit closer and then submerge and wait for them, but I found when I do it, I think, not correctly? Ships are very close almost they spot me before I submerge or get on convenient position for attack. I watched 4 bearing method of stoianm and others, but as I said, they have their sub position on map and I'm figuring it out with Real nav. I also did tutorial in-game, but for me it is a little bit "set" (perfect celestial first fix on actual sub position... Game also does everything with ship moving for us, so there's no way to practice it.
What is the best tactic to correctly approach target, with real nav, after doing all calculations e.g. 4 bearing, hydro hunt? I can't find such videos for that, almost all videos aren't using Real nav, and they have sub position on map. If you, better hunters would like to show me correct way, I would be thankful.
Regards!.
There is a simpler method of hydro hunting which you will not have to surface and race to catch the fourth bearing. One method is here




the other method is a lot simpler

it can be found here


http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...hlight=jerm138


As you go along just remember that the learning curve can be somewhat steep and what you are in the process of is just that.... the learning curve.
__________________
Captain AJ

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep
 
Cyborg322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester England
Posts: 610
Downloads: 308
Uploads: 0


Default

I don''t think you are doing much wrong chasing ships just in visual range often ends up with you chasing your tail even out pacing targets at flank speed they just alter course with your sub on a wider sweep never able to get on a good attack course this happens when your sub should be undetectable strictly speaking. Sometimes is best to let them live another day

The Danzig bay mission has always been a bit buggy target ships can sometimes be very elusive I would not worry about it too much , it seems to be dependant on the interception time and how fast you move from your base. It may of been tweaked or fixed with one of the WOS updates I'm not certain
__________________
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #13
XenonSurf
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 821
Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default

4-bearing method is to be used for targets that are far away, otherwise you have a PERISCOPE... and special instruments you can use with it (disks...). As a good Kaleun you must be able to raise periscope and find a solution immediately for firing in the next minute if need be.

And guess: for this there is no tutorial...


Don't let you carry away by all these tutorial videos and complex solution methods. Use your instincts and your OWN methods. That sounds stupidly simple, but all Kaleuns had their own methods for getting tonnage, some with very bolt tactics (like Otto Kretschmer going inside convoys because he understands that he's invisible, or Dick O'Kane the 'Wild' man etc.). Find out what best suits to YOU. In war, and WWII there is no forum or advisor that helps you...
But of course: go on asking questions!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-24-2018 at 04:12 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim