SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-12, 09:39 PM   #16
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Ok, just for clarity because the readme was a bit vague.

Will this not generate a report from a game saved after you dock, you need to save just before you dock and then use that file? I click on the file, hit change path, get same error message.Hell, when I click on the report icon in the documents folder to open up the report maker, it says invalid directory, eh.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 03:36 AM   #17
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

You need to set game path only the first time; after that, for example - to make report from your second patrol, you just choose proper save file from the list on the left (double-click). I didnt try to use in-base save, I do what manual says (or was it aanker?) to save before ending patrol and use that save, so not the one called "onenteringbase".
If you screw it just delete ini file (located in the same directory as the report generator: documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames) and start the tool again - that way you will start from scratch:

1. choose game path (like c:\games\ubisoft\silenthunter4) and click "set path" button;
2. select save (double click) and the tool will start gathering info from that save; it will show in the text box below and also copied to clipboard, so you can paste to Word, Notepad, HTMLKit or wherever you want.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 08:51 PM   #18
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
You need to set game path only the first time; after that, for example - to make report from your second patrol, you just choose proper save file from the list on the left (double-click). I didnt try to use in-base save, I do what manual says (or was it aanker?) to save before ending patrol and use that save, so not the one called "onenteringbase".
If you screw it just delete ini file (located in the same directory as the report generator: documents\SH4\data\cfg\SaveGames) and start the tool again - that way you will start from scratch:

1. choose game path (like c:\games\ubisoft\silenthunter4) and click "set path" button;
2. select save (double click) and the tool will start gathering info from that save; it will show in the text box below and also copied to clipboard, so you can paste to Word, Notepad, HTMLKit or wherever you want.
For some reason, every time I try to set the path, it gives a mesaage saying invalid filename file is just named what the game calls it.IJust generated name and date but not all the patrol data etc i expect and some of the details that are there are incorrect.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 05-03-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 08:41 AM   #19
stanger
Engineer

If I remember correctly, your game is installed to program files directory, right? Maybe that is the cause of your problems while modding (generally). Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not, but try to run the tool as admin, or - just to try it once to exclude this possibility - disable UAC, restart the PC, and try the tool once more, with ini file deleted - just in case.
(My SH is installed on D:\ partition, which is all just for games; its a good practice to avoid system partition and program files directory, especially with games like SH4, where there is a lot of modding going on (not just because of security etc., but also disc fragmentation).
And by the way, I have UAC disabled on my Win7x64, but once it was enabled, every time I tried to copy something into program files, it asked me for confirmation, etc., maybe that report generator needs some data from your main installation dir, like ship names or something, and it can't acquire access to it).
Old 05-04-12, 11:14 AM   #20
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Bubblehead, just delete the ini file in there with the report generator. That is the solution for those error messages.

1.) Delete the ini file
2.) Start up the patrol report tool
3.) Set your path to where your game is installed - the main folder where sh4.exe and the JSGME.exe, and MultiSH4.exe are. Make that folder be the blue highlighted folder. Don't worry if there are folders hanging below it like: Data, MODS, RegistrationReminder, Resources, and Support, or subfolders of Data.
4.) Click the button top right that says SetSH4Path. It will probably change to Change SH4path later.
5.) Close the report tool. Open the report tool and double click a saved game at sea where you have seen some action and saved before returning to base. Call it :'Last Save" or something then return to base.

Once that ini file is created and the tool can make patrol reports you are good to go from then on.

I'm trying to help, so if you know some stuff, maybe someone else doesn't.

Any error messages and the ini file has bad info and must be deleted and remade.

That's all...........

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:21 AM   #21
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
maybe that report generator needs some data from your main installation dir, like ship names or something, and it can't acquire access to it).
That is exactly right. It needs to know all kinds of information from the actual game install plus the saved game data.

:)

Old 05-04-12, 02:22 PM   #22
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Bubblehead, just delete the ini file in there with the report generator. That is the solution for those error messages.

1.) Delete the ini file
2.) Start up the patrol report tool
3.) Set your path to where your game is installed - the main folder where sh4.exe and the JSGME.exe, and MultiSH4.exe are. Make that folder be the blue highlighted folder. Don't worry if there are folders hanging below it like: Data, MODS, RegistrationReminder, Resources, and Support, or subfolders of Data.
4.) Click the button top right that says SetSH4Path. It will probably change to Change SH4path later.
5.) Close the report tool. Open the report tool and double click a saved game at sea where you have seen some action and saved before returning to base. Call it :'Last Save" or something then return to base.

Once that ini file is created and the tool can make patrol reports you are good to go from then on.

I'm trying to help, so if you know some stuff, maybe someone else doesn't.

Any error messages and the ini file has bad info and must be deleted and remade.

That's all...........

Happy Hunting!

Followed all your steps, got an error message that said cant find path C:/ , it was a long message. Disabled UAC , didnt change anything with the invalid file name message either. For some reason, this tool is not wanting to cooperate. I guess I will try install outside program files, just aggravating since thats where it installs by default.
Old 05-04-12, 02:51 PM   #23
stanger
Engineer

Do it again and post that error massage here, so we can have a look at it (if its long do a screenshot).
Check the ini file if the tool has recognized SH4 install dir at all, like for example:
GamePath=D:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific -(that is mine);
if there is such info, then its really may be some privileges issues; if not you can put it there yourself and see what happens - but thats desperate
Old 05-04-12, 03:59 PM   #24
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Not sure what version of Windows you are running.

in Win7 (as you know) they use libraries .... hmmm. Could try approaching this the hard way....

Go to Computer Disk C:\
Open the Users folder
Open your Username folder
Open My Documents folder
Open SH4 folder
Open Data folder
Open cfg folder
Open SaveGames

The Report tool goes in SaveGames folder where all the Saved Game folders are - numbered:
00000002 etc, etc.

If it is in there I'd right-click on it and Send To ---> Desktop (create shortcut) and at least have that shortcut to open it with. Grant Admin OK when asked the fist time.

Please don't get frustrated with me, trying to help. Really strange error message. I'd like to see it too.

The game can be in default location but many including me use a directory off the C:\ drive - or D:\ drive like Stranger.

Mine is inside C:\Games_SH4\Silent Hunter Wolves .....
Old 06-02-12, 02:47 AM   #25
stanger
Engineer

Now, that is embarrassing (go on and laugh )
The generator was working, but reinstalled the game, started new campaign, did 13 patrols and got an idea to do reports off them, and this came out:

I do everything correctly, the only difference from when it was working is the games directory, which is different now (and the name of sh4 folder is longer, but english letters only). It also is in folder with other games, when previously it was SH4 only (like d-games-sh4) -- don't know if it matters or not.

As you can see it can see my save games, but it cant set the games path. I tried everything, deleting the ini, even looking in registry if I have correct paths there - does the generator look in the registry for sh4 at all?

Oh, and it does write correct sh4 path in the ini, but still displays those errors and can't generate anything.
Old 06-02-12, 10:45 AM   #26
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Now, that is embarrassing (go on and laugh :D)
The generator was working, but reinstalled the game, started new campaign, did 13 patrols and got an idea to do reports off them, and this came out:

I do everything correctly, the only difference from when it was working is the games directory, which is different now (and the name of sh4 folder is longer, but english letters only). It also is in folder with other games, when previously it was SH4 only (like d-games-sh4) -- don't know if it matters or not.

As you can see it can see my save games, but it cant set the games path. I tried everything, deleting the ini, even looking in registry if I have correct paths there - does the generator look in the registry for sh4 at all?

Oh, and it does write correct sh4 path in the ini, but still displays those errors and can't generate anything.

Your 2nd picture here is correct. This is the folder you should select to create your ini file by clicking the Set SH4Path button. It looks perfect, you just have a corrupt ini file.
Maybe you need to manually delete the ini file by going into your Saved Games folder where the report generator is and delete it, then get the path to Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific looking like this again - or highlight it if it cascades down, don't select the lower folders like Sea..

Comprendevous? :)

Old 06-02-12, 01:34 PM   #27
stanger
Engineer

I tried all that :/ That error on first picture: I didnt select sea folder manually, it went there by itself, but it does that only when double clicking sh4 folder (so the directory tree expands). When I only select sh4 folder by clicking on it once (just like on the 2nd pic) it display that second error. So:

But knowing that it still writes the game path in the ini file, I tried to ignore those errors and generate a report and got a message that it cant read or find jsgme.ini but it looks for it one directory up.

Its frustrating to not have at least some lead to how resolve this problem, cause it would help at least two other people here too.
Old 06-02-12, 03:00 PM   #28
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Let's try this. Open the file: SHReport4_0.ini using Notepad. Right click on it, select Open With, select Notepad.

If that Mouse menu doesn't work, open Notepad and Navigate to your My Documents SH4 Saved Games folder and using File Name: "All files (*.*)" - NOT - "Text Documents (*.txt) open the SHReport4_0.ini file that way.

This must be done with a text editor, not Word or Wordpad.

Looking at your screenshot to get your path I think Yours should look like this:
Quote:
SubRonName=14
ComandersName=Name
Rank=LTCDR
PatrolArea=Dummy
ModdedOn=true
HtmlOn=false
TorpedoDataOn=true
SectionSpacesOn=true
WeatherDataOn=true
GetWarningsOn=true
GetordersOn=true
GamePath=D:\GRY\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific
You could copy this and paste it into yours and use it - if I got the path right.

Your sh4.exe or gu.exe is in your Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific folder right? Right click on your game shortcut and under Properties - Target - it will show where your sh4.exe or gu.exe file is.

The folder that has the sh4.exe or gu.exe is the folder we need in the ini file.
"D:\GRY\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\sh4.exe"

Disclaimer:
Before anyone gets upset with me for making simple instructions I am also writing this for 'somebody' in the future who may not know these things. This way if they do a search and find this post they will have simple instructions that they can understand. Someone in a post up there blew a gasket at me for explaining to a future novice. Please do not get offended or upset!

Good luck :)

Last edited by aanker; 06-02-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 04:02 PM   #29
stanger
Engineer

Nope, manually editing the ini causes the "integer value" error to display before the main generator window open.

But what may be that file name that is invalid to it?

Other lead: aanker, is your jsgme "mods" folder name default? I mean did you change it when you first time launched jsgme? Cause I did this time, but didnt last time, when the generator was working... and it may not take into account that that name can be changed by a user... (just trying to think of something).
Old 06-02-12, 05:50 PM   #30
aanker
Pacific Thunder

It looks for and possibly expects to see the MODS folder that the JSGME uses so it can list mod's used and also to get Ship class names that, for example, Ducimus uses in TMO that are not in the stock game.

Our campaign used a required mod so everyone had a MODS folder. Other than that one mod we were not expected to use any mod if we didn't want to. The generator isn't expecting to see a mod, probably just a folder named MODS.

Wonder if it would work to make a blank folder named MODS? You may have solved this mysterious error.
- - - - -
Edit - apparently not.

Last edited by aanker; 06-02-12 at 08:17 PM.