SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-14, 08:36 AM   #16
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

As far as I am aware msvcr71.dll is associated with ms .net framework. Download from ms site the latest version and it should replace the file. I dont think sh3 installs it however im not sure about that
Old 04-09-14, 09:08 AM   #17
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJO View Post
Reading the crash reports I note that one of the culprits is a file entitled: msvcr71.dll - that particular dll came with SH3 and is dated 2003 - it may have been corrupted so perhaps I need to download a newer version - any ideas?
msvcr71 is the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime version 7.1. Crashing on this usually means incorrect parameters were passed to a function being called in this DLL (either incorrect type or number of parameters). My guess would be a null/invalid pointer was being passed to a function in this DLL. Only way to know for sure is attach OllyDebug or another Debugger to the game while it's running and reproduce the error (the Debugger will 'break' into the game and show you where the error is and what the error is). You also can then follow the call stack back to see if it has anything to do with the 'new' code added by Stiebler or hsie.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 04-09-14 at 09:55 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 01:50 PM   #18
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Just a thought - should I have installed the 4GB Patch? Is it necessary with Windows 8.1
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 03:03 PM   #19
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Just a thought - should I have installed the 4GB Patch? Is it necessary with Windows 8.1
The 4GB patch enables the program software - in this case, sh3.exe - to request 4GB from the OS. Without the 4GB patch, old 32-bit sh3.exe would only ever request a 2GB allocation, whether it was running in a 64-bit OS or not. (When SH3 was written, there was no 64-bit Windows OS, so how could the devs allow for a capability that didn't exist?) You must install the 4GB patch if you want SH3 to use more than 2GB.

A corollary is that sh3.exe with the 4GB patch will only request 4GB, regardless of how much memory your system has.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 05:52 AM   #20
GJO
Planesman

As I thought and thank you, BigWalleye, for that explanation. I am making progress - I have rearranged the mods in my squeaky clean re-install and the game is up and running again. I have yet to install Hsie's V16B1 Patch which includes an option to include the 4GB upgrade. I plan to do this after completing a shakedown patrol to make sure that all is OK - once the patch is installed, I will avoid making any further alterations.

With regard to library file, msvcr71.dll, this and its brethren are installed with the game if the box marked 'Install Windows Codecs' is ticked - the files are much older than the game but still seem to work OK now that I have rearranged the order of my mods.

Mt current mod list is as follows:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\SilentHunterIII\MODS]

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Merged Campaign
LITE RADIO TRAFIC V1
Spirit of machines
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
WBs Renown Replacement
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
GWX - Integrated Orders
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010

I have edited the \Data\Menu\en_menu_txt file to change the various labels from English into German because I find it unrealistic to have English labels on a German boat. There is a mod for this but it gets overwritten by GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010 and Hsie's V16B1 Patch. So far, this is all fine but a little more editing will be necessary to enable the same changes when I install Hsie's V16B1 Patch over the top of GWX_DFa-Flag&Pens_2010.
Old 04-10-14, 06:24 AM   #21
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

GJO. three comments:

1) GWX Merged Campaign is to be used when on a patrol that transits from ATO to IO or vice versa. Otherwise, it serves no purpose and greatly extends your load time. (See the GWX manual, page 31.) You might want to remove it, especially when you are testing.

2) GWX Integrated Orders will be clobbered by Stiebler's patch. They are incompatible unless you do some overhauling of graphics files.

3) Do you use WinMerge? It's shareware (IIRC) and is a thoroughly useful tool to modifying all text files. You can make the changes you mentioned quickly with it.

Good luck! I hope this gets you up and playing! Fixing your install is not as much fun as playing the game!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 04:42 AM   #22
GJO
Planesman

I will uninstall the GWX Merged Campaign as advised! I am not really sure why I put it in because I have no intention of going round the Cape! I will also search out Winmerge. I do like GWX Integrated Orders and I hope I can work out a way of using it.
Old 04-11-14, 05:31 AM   #23
GreyBeard
Engineer

Downloads: 257
Uploads: 2

Quote:
.....I will also search out Winmerge......
ExamDiff is another program, very similar and also freeware.
GreyBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 06:01 AM   #24
GJO
Planesman

Hooray - I am up and running again and out on my first patrol in a new career!

Having said that, I think I need to make another small adjustment to the torpedo bad weather behaviour - I have used my entire internal load out of 12 torpedoes and only one of them detonated. The others all swam right under their targets despite my careful attention to depth setting and wave heights.