SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-13, 04:00 AM   #1
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201
Uploads: 0
Default Can i run all mods and patches with the Sh3 steam version?

Like title says, because for example you cant run the tdw patcher for the sh5 steam version.
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 08:52 AM   #2
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

this is the SH3 forum not SH5 however i will answer both.
SH3- yes all mods and patches work with steam BUT YOU MUST give yourself full write permissions to the steam folder.

SH5 i heard it does not work but i don't know
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 11:26 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Why not just go buy a legit copy of the game from Amazon and not have to contend with the Steam malware? Costs you $10 for the download, SubSim gets a cut, and you'll know that any mod you want will work just fine.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 12:12 PM   #4
guntherprien
Hand rag

Downloads: 170

What Steam malware?
guntherprien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 01:24 PM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Malware is the intrusive and excessive DRM that Steam provides for the benefit of their game publisher clients and which you get to buy and live with. Hey, if you enjoy putting up with that sort of thing, by all means, buy from Steam.

Notice that you don't see any postings on SubSim about whether the version of SH3 (or SH4 or SH5) from any reputable vendor is modifiable. Just about the version someone bought from Steam. If they are all the same, why is that?
Old 10-04-13, 01:41 PM   #6
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Malware is the intrusive and excessive DRM that Steam provides for the benefit of their game publisher clients and which you get to buy and live with. Hey, if you enjoy putting up with that sort of thing, by all means, buy from Steam.

Notice that you don't see any postings on SubSim about whether the version of SH3 (or SH4 or SH5) from any reputable vendor is modifiable. Just about the version someone bought from Steam. If they are all the same, why is that?
malware- software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems. DRM is not intended to do that though it can have that side effect *cough* starforce *cough* and if you remember star force was distributed by reputable vendors in their games/software.

Curiosity is my guess and the fear of wasting money as to why the questions are asked i would bet, and if you ask me it is a valid question as to if the steam version is modifiable as are most of the other games that have mods that are available on steam (SW KOTOR1&2 sins of a solar empire etc). the reason the questions come up is that steam is different than having 30 odd cds/dvds.

What is your beef with Steam anyways? it seems that every chance you get you are bashing it.
Old 10-04-13, 04:23 PM   #7
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

My beef with Steam is that they misrepresent their products as being identical to the publishers' games, which they are not. To judge by the number of posters who struggle trying to modify their Steam product the way that those of us who bought the publishers' product can do as a matter of course, it seems that they deceive a fair number of their customers. I do not approve of companies which sell their product by misleading their customers. Most of the gamers I know who are computer savvy avoid Steam, for philosophical as well as practical reasons. When I see the number of people posting here who struggle trying to use the Steam product and who do not seem to realize that it is not the same as the publishers' product, I conclude that a portion of Steam's business model is to prey on those who lack computer sophistication. That is a company I prefer to avoid doing business with, and I don't hesitate to warn others to do the same. YMMV.
Old 10-04-13, 04:42 PM   #8
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

I have never had a problem with STEAM and the games I have bought ARE identical to the publisher minus being in a few more folders (SH3 and again the SWKOTOR etc. I do not see the problem other than some people are so scared to dive into their computer files or don't know where to look. But it also greatly depends on the game as to how difficult they are to mod. I point to one of my favorite space strategy games "Star ruler" it can be difficult to mod, Endless space is like that as well. Games like COD though are not meant to me modified hence the dificulty for some

It is also harder to find games that are multi-player that are not on platforms like STEAM or Origin. And before you say i am not computer sophisticated i am very computer sophisticated/savy.

BTW have you ever used steam?
Old 10-04-13, 05:12 PM   #9
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
I have never had a problem with STEAM and the games I have bought ARE identical to the publisher minus being in a few more folders (SH3 and again the SWKOTOR etc. I do not see the problem other than some people are so scared to dive into their computer files or don't know where to look. But it also greatly depends on the game as to how difficult they are to mod. I point to one of my favorite space strategy games "Star ruler" it can be difficult to mod, Endless space is like that as well. Games like COD though are not meant to me modified hence the dificulty for some

It is also harder to find games that are multi-player that are not on platforms like STEAM or Origin. And before you say i am not computer sophisticated i am very computer sophisticated/savy.

BTW have you ever used steam?
desertstriker, I have read your posts before and I KNOW that you are very computer literate. I tried to be very careful in crafting my post so as not to imply that all Steam users, or even a majority of Steam users, are not computer savvy. I did not want to say or even to imply that. I have no reason to think that is the case. And I sincerely apologize for offending you if you got that meaning from my words, and especially if you thought I was questioning your own competence. Clearly, I did not express myself carefully enough. Mea culpa.

The fact that you, a sophisticated user, do not have problems modding Steam games, seems I think, to support my point. Judging by the number of posts I see here at SubSIm, in SH3, SH4, and SH5 forums, a significant number of people do. And it seems to be just Steam users. I don't see large numbers of posts from people who downloaded their games from Amazon. I don't see posts from people with the DVD. All these folks seem to have to do is RTD and the mod works. But Steam users have to be told how to handle the "special" needs of their Steam version. To someone who has never used a Steam product (I am philosophically and economically opposed to the closed ecosystem model), this seems to be pretty indicative that there is something fundamentally different about Steam's products. Perhaps it is something that a sophisticated user like you can easily deal with. But it apparently poses hurdles for a significant number of Steam customers. And, when I read their posts, I see that most of them are unaware of the unique nature of the Steam product. I have visited the Steam website, and, while I find I can recognize in their advertising suggestions of the true nature of their product, I also can see that it wouldn't be obvious to the unsophisticated customer. And that deception, as I said above, is my major beef with Steam. I would never lease a car from a dealer who tried to imply that leasing is the same as ownership. (And, yes, I recognize that is not a perfect analogy, but it serves to make my point.) Steam can sell whatever product they want, and if people are willing to give them money for their product - knowing what that product really is - good for them. This is America. But when a company is misleading and not forthright, I feel a certain obligation to caution others who might be taken in.

You know what you are doing and have made an informed choice. KK. But not everyone is in your position. And I don't think people should be taken advantage of.
Old 10-04-13, 05:24 PM   #10
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

ok i understand what you are saying better now sometimes it just takes a lengthy explanation.
Old 10-04-13, 05:28 PM   #11
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

No prob. Sorry that I did not make myself clearer the first time. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you.
Old 10-05-13, 10:54 AM   #12
the dark knight
Bosun

Downloads: 16

You also should be able to download the game from Ubisoft's store, for 9.99. That is what I did years ago, since I could not find a copy of the game at a decent price (and it is not steam, it is the full version of the game). I have not had any issues to speak of with this version of the game, not even the CTD stuff most people complain about. I also run many mods, and have no issues with them. If you are interested, here is the link-

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_U...C2%AE_III.html
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 06:49 AM   #13
Riccardo1975
Gunner

Downloads: 85
Ubisoft downloads.

Thanks Dark Knight.

I downloaded it off Steam and its a nightmare. Installed GWX, JGSME and SH3 commander but cant patch it so my watch crew have no binoculars etc....

Think I'll delete Steam and the full install and start again. Its only a fiver off Ubi!

Live and learn and thanks again. Subsim comes up trumps as usual...

Rich.

U-111 just North of Londonderry, Dec 21st 1939.
Riccardo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 10:24 AM   #14
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo1975 View Post
Thanks Dark Knight.

I downloaded it off Steam and its a nightmare. Installed GWX, JGSME and SH3 commander but cant patch it so my watch crew have no binoculars etc....

Think I'll delete Steam and the full install and start again. Its only a fiver off Ubi!

Live and learn and thanks again. Subsim comes up trumps as usual...

Rich.

U-111 just North of Londonderry, Dec 21st 1939.

Would just like to say that i had no issues Patching Steam version of SH3 after watching this video....

Delta Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 03:31 PM   #15
Riccardo1975
Gunner

Downloads: 85
Doing my head in..

Thanks Tiberius!

Watched the video and get the gist after a few watches but went to mediafire to download the hsie hardcode fix and it wont let me. Checked the download section on here and no joy. Went through all the forums and the links are all down to the original hsie patch.
Any ideas. Looks easy to do....

Thanks again,
Riccardo.
Riccardo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote