SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-18, 08:12 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
... The vast majority of DirectX 9 "redirects" are in place in WINE. Certain programs ...
Things have changed a LOT, and a lot lately, within the last year and a half... what's that 'law' they said about computers that they'd double in speed every 3 years? Welllll... what about the software, OS and networking???

In the meantime, I remember now the S3D thingie, was I've got on a Windows partition that my Ubuntu can reach out and touch... maybe that was how?... naw... net2... == We interrupt this oldmanitis stream of distracted thoughts ==

We now return you to our original stream:
... what about those Windows Media 9 codecs of the regular SH4 install though? Are those in the Wine, or just more alcohol?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 09:12 PM   #17
Caption Ranker
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Media 9 codec had no effect. Valve just released Steam Play today and I'm gonna see if I can get it to run with that.
Caption Ranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 02:30 AM   #18
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption Ranker View Post
Media 9 codec had no effect. Valve just released Steam Play today and I'm gonna see if I can get it to run with that.

At this point I have no clue, but then again... it is late and I'm really tired.

I'll do some more digging as soon as I can not doze off at the keyboard....

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 06:34 AM   #19
Caption Ranker
Watch

Yeah something's gotta be wrong with my computer. It seems Linux mint has had issues with their sound drivers in the past. I wonder if I should submit a bug to them. I tried to play some Skyrim and the sound worked for a little bit until loaded a new area.
Old 08-23-18, 05:04 PM   #20
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Yeah something's gotta be wrong with my computer. It seems Linux mint has had issues with their sound drivers in the past. I wonder if I should submit a bug to them. I tried to play some Skyrim and the sound worked for a little bit until loaded a new area.

Although it is usually fixable...

Sometimes with Linux, if I'm playing with an area that is new to me, or that I'm out of practice with.... and I mess it up.

Sometimes a re-install can fix it. (Other times, deleting the config files in your /home/[username] will fix it.)
Although, then you have to redo any changes that you know are not the problem.

But for me, installing Fedora is about 20 minutes from "insert DVD" to " boot OS from hard drive", and most of that is me setting up user accounts and passwords.
Add in another 5 minutes if I'm tweaking my RAID setup (which I've found a setup I like now).
Updates may take a while, depending of how long that version has been out (28 now, 29 should be here in a few months) 2 GB worth of updates take about 20 minutes to download and install.

Faster than WinXP... Which would take all day.
Especially with Dotnet.... that always seemed to take forever.

----------------------------------------------------

>>This is the section where I start suggesting swapping out "parts" to see what is broken. <<

You might consider giving another distro a try, you could try a LIVE CD/DVD...
Maybe a version of Ubuntu, which Mint is based on, or Debian (which Ubuntu is based on), or, maybe (just maybe) try something that rides a little closer to the "bleeding edge". Arch or Fedora are a few options.

Just long enough to see if it is MINT.

Start by backing up your SH4 WINE prefix first (just copying it should do),
Install WINE while running the LIVE DVD (which would go away as soon as you reboot), and test if you have sound.

All of the data would be in the default WINE prefix.
Steam, etc. would work (if SH4 is through steam), and you could test that way without needing to install another distro.

If the sound works, then it is an issue with MINT.
If not, then it is a problem with WINE/SH4.

LIVE DVDs, usually won't touch your Hard Drive unless you tell it to.

Just a thought.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-24-18 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 08:33 PM   #21
Caption Ranker
Watch

Yeah I downloaded Ubuntu Studio, just haven't installed it yet.

This is one issue with Linux that really irritates me, and usually causes me to switch back to windows. Why do I constantly need to reinstall my OS because something broke? You never need to do that in windows, but in linux you push the system too hard and you might find out your desktop environment is broken. Good luck surfing the net for a solution in a terminal! I am making liberal use of the system backup utility though, and so far- I have not had that issues yet (fingers crossed).

I can't go back to windows though. I jumped ship because they started censoring people. Now that they took out Alex Jones and everybody was like "Good!", they are taking even more people down now. They just removed 653 Facebook pages Today!

I mean if they can just start censoring people like they are now, what's to stop Apple and Windows from taking the next logical step and introduce updates that remove "harmful foreign content" from your computer, your phone.

I would highly suggest people consider switching over to Linux, or setting up a backup system. Start downloading information you like that is controversial and save if because nothing is forever on internet anymore.

Also Linux is a lot better now, and I'm having fun playing Doom in the native Linux client!

Last edited by Caption Ranker; 08-23-18 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 09:48 PM   #22
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Why do I constantly need to reinstall my OS because something broke?
What I meant was, IF you break it, you can always re-install _-IF-_ you don't know enough to un-break it.
There isn't an "activation" limit stopping you...

I've recovered from situations I thought my system was beyond hope.
But IF you don't want to figure out how to fix it, you can do a -quick- re-install.

My point in my last post was: Don't worry about breaking it!!!!

Quote:

You never need to do that in windows,

I've had to re-install Windows more than Linux in my time...
Most of it XP, 98SE too. There were some days I couldn't "un-break" it, unless I used Linux (dual boot, or a Knoppix live-cd) to replace the affected files.
Even then, XP would eventually crash.

(Or *DOS* in the Win95 days.)

It is the main reason I used 2 hard drives in Windows, 1 for the OS, and 1 for all my games/downloads. Most of my games would skip files from a previous install, so it took me 2 minutes per game, instead of 10-20 minutes per game.
DOS ruled here, it didn't have a registry! Didn't crash on me either.

Quote:

but in linux you push the system too hard and you might find out your desktop environment is broken.
I had a problem with my Fedora install, I re-installed, and it didn't fix it....

I finally found the problem, it was the settings files...
I had played with something, that I really shouldn't have, then updated and caused a problem....

The fix was simple, delete the KDE settings folder in the .config directory, and TADA!!! fixed.

Most of my Desktop (i.e. GUI) problems have been fixable with deleting configuration/settings files, or worst case, upgrading/re-installing/downgrading -just those files-.
(using DNF the Redhat/Fedora package manager.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addtion to computer issues, I had this adventure today in car land:

I just finished swapping a "coil on plug" on a Nissan car (not mine thankfully!), and I had to pull the intake to get to the coils/plugs/injectors.

But Wait, That's Not All!
Act Now and you have to pull the Throttle body to get to the last intake bolt.
Which means you have to unplug a bunch of connectors and hoses.
And pull the hose from the Mass Airflow Sensor (only to find it torn in 2 places )

And then you have to pull all of the vacuum hoses and connections on all of these items to get them loose.

Then after that, you have to work around the bracket that you can't get loose because the Nissan tech/mechanic stripped the head on one of the bolts (that would make this slightly simpler).

Then you get it all off, only to realize that the "mis-fire" on Cylinder #1, just might have been a loose connection on the Fuel Injector...
(That you would have to pull the intake to reach anyway!)

Ohh well, too late now!

I seriously doubt that the "lean" error is the O2 sensor, now that I know the intake hose is torn... (between the MAF sensor and the Throttle body).

Any way, off topic!!!

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-24-18 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 02:01 PM   #23
Caption Ranker
Watch

Well I guess yesterday Valve accidentally released the Dev version of their software, and when I ran SH4 no text would load. Today they fixed it and text loads. It runs with the same sound issue however.

It's gotta be an issue with Linux mint sound drivers. Still gotta install ubunut Studio I guess.
Old 08-24-18, 02:12 PM   #24
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Make a "live" cd (dvd??) first to test, like BarracudaUAK mentioned above. That's how I decided to use Ubuntu to begin with. You can "point" it at files just about anywhere when its running...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 09:34 PM   #25
Caption Ranker
Watch

Well I went through the Laborious task of installing Ubuntu Studio because I messed up the system trying to install it along side mint. No regrets though, I'm still having the same issue sadly, but I'm actually kinda happy about it.

The fact I'm having this level of consistency between Ubuntu studio and Linux mint is big step for Linux IMO. I remember back in the day when installing a different Distro was actually suggested as a fix to your problem. Now I can reinstall Linux Mint and feel confident I never need to switch to fix again.

Still, I must be having a hardware issue then. Guess I gotta figure out what Mobo I have.
Old 09-01-18, 12:49 AM   #26
Caption Ranker
Watch

Hey you know thanks for letting me know about deleting config files in .config folder. I decided to install KDE again (always a bad idea), and I went back to xfce and everything was broken. This is about the time I usually reinstall Linux (or worse, windows), but Instead I deleted the config files for xfce and something else that had to do with text color on the desktop, rebooted, and it was fixed.

I'm half tempted to dig into xfce's source code and put a button in the system options somewhere that deletes all these config files for the user. But I guess like everyone else, once you learn this Linux trick you no longer see the need in building something to hold your hand.
Old 09-03-18, 06:06 PM   #27
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
I'm still having the same issue sadly, but I'm actually kinda happy about it.

Still, I must be having a hardware issue then. Guess I gotta figure out what Mobo I have.
Sorry it took me a few days, I've been dealing with a Video issue, trying to resolve if it was hardware or drivers (since I updated to kernel 4.17.14 I've been having issues with my RX 580).

Well, good to know it was consistent... Not so good that it still isn't working...

Fortunately I had a good (vioeo) card to fall back on.

Do you have an older sound card laying around that you could try?
Might be that one last thing to make it work...

Quote:
Hey you know thanks for letting me know about deleting config files in .config folder. I decided to install KDE again (always a bad idea), and I went back to xfce and everything was broken. This is about the time I usually reinstall Linux (or worse, windows), but Instead I deleted the config files for xfce and something else that had to do with text color on the desktop, rebooted, and it was fixed.

I'm half tempted to dig into xfce's source code and put a button in the system options somewhere that deletes all these config files for the user. But I guess like everyone else, once you learn this Linux trick you no longer see the need in building something to hold your hand.

No problem, glad it helped!

I used to have to re-install all the time (Redhat 9 & Fedora 3-10 days) because either my anti-virus would "clean" the MBR and wipe-out the boot loader (lilo at the time)....

OR, WinXP would crash and I would need to re-install XP, and as a result Fedora would need to be as well.

I installed 12, then 14 about a year later (lack of broad-band) and then 16.
Put, 14 and 16 on their own drive, but with a Knoppix LiveCD, I didn't need it as often, so I didn't upgrade it...

With Fedora 20, almost everything was different.
THEN I found out about the ".config" folder.
Some things have moved since then, I'm on 28 now, so I still have to go hunting "where are the settings for.... aha... go to directory... aaaaaaaand it's not there? *google* ohh, they moved it as of version... why? ahh, it's all in the same place now, ok..."

My mother read somewhere that if you keep reading and learning new things, it can delay the onset of old-timers... I'm not there yet, but if the info is accurate...
Then Linux should keep me good for a while.

---

I've run KDE since I tried Gnome the first time (about RedHat 5), and I couldn't find the settings menu to tweak a setting for the desktop.

I swapped over to KDE (had them both installed) and found the settings instantly, so I stayed with it.
I used to install a bunch of DEs and that way switch over if I wanted a change of pace.
Bonus was I could show anybody that asked "what's that?", if I showed them one and they said "I don't like it", then I could swap over and say "how about this one?".

With the FGLRX (Catalyst) drivers wanting to pick a "primary" desktop to configure itself to, I stuck with KDE (4 at the time, Fedora 20).

But Since the new(-ish) AMDGPU kernel driver (and RadeonSI on the Mesa/desktop side) handling the video, I installed LXDE as well while I was trying to troubleshoot my RX 580 issues.

My old Athlon 5600 X2, with a HD6750 has KDE (5), LXDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, and I think something else as well (openbox??? ).
I may put them all back on, just need to find a way to separate the programs by DE, otherwise I'll have a list of programs as long as my arm...

I run several of the Gnome tools (Sound recorder, Gnome Disk Utility) because they have things I like, but I want my "desktop computer" to look and feel like a "desktop computer".
Gnome Shell and Unity are a bit too "cell phone" for me...

But there's "no accounting for taste" for any of us!

Barracuda

P.S. Keep us posted about any progress, I'll keep my eye out for sound driver bugs or any WINE sound info.
If I see anything I'll post it in this thread.
Old 09-19-18, 08:34 PM   #28
Caption Ranker
Watch

I have no idea what I did, I reinstalled Linux Mint a few days ago, and tried SH4 today, Now the sound works in steam proton just fine.
Old 09-26-18, 06:33 PM   #29
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Good to know it is working for you.

Barracuda