SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-13-18, 07:49 AM   #121
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

I get the impression that weather, my sub's portrait to the Yasen's sonar, where the layer is and its type, and my initial speed reduction noise all are variables and the Yasen is very proficient at what it does in collecting. I try to take note of those items in the brief and address them before I address the Yasen. I do note the bearing of the initial contact signal.

I also try to move to a significantly different depth after I fire my first shot. I don't know, but I suspect that the Yasen, and others, will fire back at the same depth as my torpedo. Being in shallow waters, that makes thing a lot harder.

If I am not mistaken, my torpedo runs quieter until its activation point, so I try to analytically move that activation point as far away from me as I can. I also try to offset my torpedo route, but that takes additional torpedo travel time and the Yasen can have moved from the spot that I thought it was. If I know it is a Yasen, a two-torpedo spread attack is used, or, one behind the other. This is the same for a Boomer. Actually, on identification, the Boomer gets three torpedoes.

In an initial engagement, I prefer to get myself in a direction of stability before I stalk. It lets my collection systems get a bit more info and for me to develop a best Course of Action.

Patience is a virtue...most times.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 11:10 AM   #122
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

Can't speak specifically to your concern as I haven't come across too many surface contacts in my campaign yet. However, in a Yasen, I am getting absolutely slaughtered by Trafalgers and Upholders. Those Spearfish torpedoes are just too much. Big warhead, long run time, way too fast to out run or out maneuver.

In close, I get slammed, even far away I can't make it work. Above a layer or below doesn't matter, not particularly close but my launch results in a least two from each sub in the area and there is no way to beat four Spearfish that I can figure out.

By the time I run really far away (with time compression) and guide my torps back to where the contact(s) were (I can no longer see them and they are no longer on my sonar) the Spearfish are headed towards me in a spread that ensures I will have to deal with at least one or two - even at this distance. Too deadly...

I'm going to have to mod the mod - I just can't win at all after two days retrying the same mission from the autosave. They just can't be allowed to run for 12 minutes at 60 knots-that's almost twice as fast as the Yasen and you can't shake them by dancing. Relentless they are.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 11:29 AM   #123
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR DPH View Post
Can't speak specifically to your concern as I haven't come across too many surface contacts in my campaign yet. However, in a Yasen, I am getting absolutely slaughtered by Trafalgers and Upholders. Those Spearfish torpedoes are just too much. Big warhead, long run time, way too fast to out run or out maneuver.

In close, I get slammed, even far away I can't make it work. Above a layer or below doesn't matter, not particularly close but my launch results in a least two from each sub in the area and there is no way to beat four Spearfish that I can figure out.

By the time I run really far away (with time compression) and guide my torps back to where the contact(s) were (I can no longer see them and they are no longer on my sonar) the Spearfish are headed towards me in a spread that ensures I will have to deal with at least one or two - even at this distance. Too deadly...

I'm going to have to mod the mod - I just can't win at all after two days retrying the same mission from the autosave. They just can't be allowed to run for 12 minutes at 60 knots-that's almost twice as fast as the Yasen and you can't shake them by dancing. Relentless they are.
I am noticing the Spearfish is a beast as well in my testing. I may reduce the run time on it a little or lower the number of UK boats in the missions. After all, their really aren't that many. But since the 2004 Campaign has more capable weapons than the 1964 or 1984 campaign it probably makes sense to lower the number of opposing vessels further in the campaign.

Thanks for the report.

LTJG Beam
LTJGBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 11:34 AM   #124
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANoWAR.U52 View Post
In the Yasen class, even when starting at max range, instantly going silent drive, and aiming to go below the layer I am usually detected by surface in the first minutes.

Is this a mod or game specific problem?
I will look into this. A lot of the USN Skimmer Sonars are custom made for the mod and might need to be balanced versus any changes in the master sensor file ratings.

The other possibility is that since almost every USN Ship has a towed array that may be complicating things for the Russian player.

LTJG Beam
Old 07-13-18, 03:39 PM   #125
CDR DPH
Helmsman

I did better today against the Spearfish without modifying it's capabilities. It remains imo one of the most formidable weapons I have yet encountered. Too many at the same time and your goose is cooked. One or two at a time can be overcome if the circumstances are right.

You definitely have to give these fish something else to chase. Even if you Tango to the point where you break their lock on your sub, they will reacquire you unless they sniff something else closer than you are.

A moss fired in the direction of a sunken vessel works sometimes assuming I can break the target lock in the vicinity of a suitable moss. If the Spearfish is following the moss and doesn't reacquire me, it will often follow that moss right to the sunken sub and detonate itself. Bing -1 Spearfish.

All this time I have been Jitterbugging with the other one and it ain't giving up and of course I am out of decoys and running out of noisemakers real fast. The Yasen doesn't knuckle as easily or as reliably as the seawolf for example so in a pinch I can't count on making a knuckle and if too close the torp doesn't care, you can see it smile as it chews your propeller. You can't outrun this thing - it closes the distance like a formula 1.

With no moss left I have sacrificed a perfectly good Mk48 but they don't produce the same results as reliably as does a moss. The key to surviving the dance of death with a Spearfish, is giving it something else to hunt. With no other prey, they always seem to find me again. Even when I'm counting down the minutes until it expires, from 1200 feet below it and some distance away running a 5 knots. If I so much as twitch, it breaks away and down it comes and we're off square dancing this time praying it won't be a long swansong... You can get lucky only so many times with this beast.

Forget about using the -/+ 30 ballast trick on this fish.
Old 07-17-18, 07:16 AM   #126
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR DPH View Post

In game not made Soviet and Russian anti-torpedo torpedo. First our anti-torpedo torpedo "TT-4" was in 1989 year:
http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-20-00000051-000-20-0#021
After it Russian sumarines have few more modern anti-torpedo torpedoes. In real live UK torpedo "Spearfish" not problem, so Russian submarines have anti-torpedo torpedoes and modern countermeasuries. If you insert in game anti-torpedo torpedo "TT-4", so you can see that no problem for Yasen submarine.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 09:14 PM   #127
Delgard
Skipper

Default Stuck on Mission Update screen

I returned to the NA2004 from the SCS and ran into a problem. In the Campaign I did an encounter enroute to my mission. It got stuck on the Mission Update screen at the end of the mission. I eventually went to the Task Manager and closed the program. I then went to my steam account and verified the CW portion and everything was there.

I re-ran the mission and it worked fine.

Then, I got to my actual tasked mission (Narvik Assault) and it did it again. At the Mission Update screen it locked up.

I went back to Steam and verified again and it was 100%.

Those beach assaults take an hour, or so, and don’t want it to happen. Is there something that I should consider?

Thanks
Old 08-05-18, 08:03 AM   #128
Delgard
Skipper

Re-downloaded NA2004 and it continued.

Last edited by Delgard; 08-05-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 11:08 AM   #129
Revalator
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 2004 error

went to play the 2004 mod, that I have played many times and got a error about awards.txt not found under campaign's
I removed mod and it worked fine

downloaded mod and same error. so somewhere in the 2004 mod there is a error it seems
Old 08-13-18, 02:42 PM   #130
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Revalator!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 12:34 PM   #131
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Revelator,

See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238314
Old 10-29-18, 01:29 PM   #132
HollandDragon
Nub

Downloads: 3

How do i reload my VLS when i am in port with my Yasen, i've just run out of anti ship missiles.
HollandDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-18, 09:08 PM   #133
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandDragon View Post
How do i reload my VLS when i am in port with my Yasen, i've just run out of anti ship missiles.
You should have the option to load them in the lower right hand weapon load out screen. Use the small green up and down arrows next to the weapon's picture.
Old 02-12-19, 10:28 PM   #134
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Mod Update # 10: Date: 02/12/2019
Fixes missing AWARD.TXT issue.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...?do=cat&id=106

Sorry for the delay on this. Real life work has kept me extremely busy for the last few months.

LTJG Beam

Last edited by LTJGBeam; 02-12-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 08:58 PM   #135
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Great job, and I'm really looking forward to checking this. This gets me back into Cold Waters in a big way.

Thank you!
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote