SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-18, 02:46 PM   #1
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0
Nuke Curious Flashing !!

Hi shipmates, as the title suggests I am getting a weird flashing artifact in reflections. I have uploaded a small vid to youtube to illustrate the problem, linked at the end of this post.

I have been in touch with makman thinking it was perhaps his reflections. However he reports no problems ( thanks for the quick responses mak ).

I have tried various nvidia drivers from 368.xx up to and including 390.65, with no benefit. Please take a look at the video and see if you can cast light on the problem guys, oh and for the record so far this has only happened and not always with ships on fire my mod list below:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Subsims\Hsie\MODS]

GWX - Merged Campaign
GWX - Alternative Flotillas
GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7
WB's Mission Orders v1.2
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3
M04B-MX04B
Q Ship mod GWX3.0
FM30_UpDown_final
Prometheus Hull damage mod
TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
Combat Radio Frequency
DD_VisibleMines_V1.0
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
Urfischs_ModStrike_Beta1
Pascal_Port_People
Destroyers&Corvette
MFM3.2 displacement correction mod
New Lorient v1 - GWX3 Merged Campaign+Wilhelmshafen_et_al_V7
Flags_enlighten
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
Real Depth Charge
Karle's_Crash_Dive_Mod
KB's Diesel Sound Mod
M.E.P v6
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v6
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1 Replacement Textures
Aces' Combined SH3.SDL Files v4
My sound file
WB's Renown Replacement
SH3 Gramophone
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
J_to_Z_Class_mod
Hunt_I_to_III_mod
Southampton_Fiji_mod
SH5 - Nelson class
SH5 - Rodney - deck with camo
Additional Depth Charges v1.0 (GWX3)
Searchlights_Removed
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final FIXED
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
Torpedo_HAHD_1024_GWX
German U-Boats Compilation 2 (only VIIB & VIIC models by WISE)
German U-Boats Compilation FuMO_Fix_SNS
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation)
Ai German U-Boats Collection (Ahnenerbe) Fixed
Shortcuts for German U-Boats Compilation Mod
7b-vorkriegs-Weiss
Bordinstrumente_patch_2.2_Ahnenerbe
FuMO29_radar_fix
M.E.P v6 - VisualSensors for GWX3 with Anvart's FUMO mod
WB's Deck Gun Range
S3H-H.sie-Patch-V16B1
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Optional O2-Gauges v2 (for V16B1)
EnvSimAct_10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My system:

i7 6850k @4.02 GHz
32GB Ram
EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 11GB GDDR5
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Using 4GB patch
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now the video link

Thanks again chaps for any ideas, suggestions. Oh just one more thing, I am clueless in regards to the mission builder!! So as you can imagine swapping mods in and out to try resolve this then finding a suitable target is a pain

Very best regards.

Fubatr2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 03:08 PM   #2
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hello,

I have a faint idea what could be the reason. Can you please check if the effect occurs also for my ship models, e.g., Southampton or Fiji?

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 04:03 PM   #3
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello,

I have a faint idea what could be the reason. Can you please check if the effect occurs also for my ship models, e.g., Southampton or Fiji?

Cheers
Hi mate and thanks for the quick response. I would love to, as I explained I am a total noob with the mission editor Could you compile a quick mission for me to check your ships please mate. Looking forward to experimenting.

Best regards.
Fubar2Niner
Old 01-24-18, 04:28 PM   #4
the_frog
Commander

Different approach -- I assume you didn't change any single mission. So, play GWX single mission "Force H", sink the Ark Royal (should be represented by "NCV_Illustrious" and Renown (should be represented by "NBC_Repulse").

Do both ship show the flashing reflections of smoke?
Old 01-24-18, 04:34 PM   #5
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Hi again mate. I will check this out tomorrow and report back. Thank you so much for your input thus far. Hopefuĺly we can reach a successful conclusion.

Best regards

Fubar2Niner
Old 01-24-18, 05:25 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That looks like the smoke reflection, not the ship. It also looks like some pixelation rising with the leading edge of the smoke. Have you tried setting the SH3.exe properties "Compatibility" for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"? I used to get similar pixelation in smoke, but I don't remember what I did to get rid of it... Yikes! It a bother getting old and forgetful...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 01:21 AM   #7
JuanLiquid
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 60

Hi, I had the same problem when I'm using the NVIDIA default settings. I fixed it tweaking the settings, for sh3.exe. I did trial and error, and with these settings and my global ones, it works fine.

Aliasing mode - controlled by application
anisotropy - controlled by app
texture quality - high
trilineal textures - disabled
vertical sync - disabled
JuanLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 04:39 PM   #8
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Different approach -- I assume you didn't change any single mission. So, play GWX single mission "Force H", sink the Ark Royal (should be represented by "NCV_Illustrious" and Renown (should be represented by "NBC_Repulse").

Do both ship show the flashing reflections of smoke?
Hi mate sorry it's taken this long to reply. OK.
After many attempts I cannot get either ship to smoke as much as in my video, this is the best I have;

Renown just either goes down, no explosions or is only damaged enough to not show them. Two things......

One... The weather, in my video the sea is like a mill pond. In Force H it's a maelstrom If this has any bearing I have no idea.

Two... (and this really sounds noobish, but I'm clutching at straws), any mods I have loaded will take effect in single missions? Including GFX effects? Yeah I know it's a dumb question but just trying to reassure myself

Either way I cannot seem to create that same huge plume of smoke and fire from single missions...... HELP

Edit: I have also tried this in training, both torps and gunnery, still can't replicate that same damage effect. Yet it happens often in campaign, given the right conditions
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 01-25-18, 04:44 PM   #9
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanLiquid View Post
Hi, I had the same problem when I'm using the NVIDIA default settings. I fixed it tweaking the settings, for sh3.exe. I did trial and error, and with these settings and my global ones, it works fine.

Aliasing mode - controlled by application
anisotropy - controlled by app
texture quality - high
trilineal textures - disabled
vertical sync - disabled
Thanks for the input kaleun, however I have been using the same NI settings for some time and this has never been a problem, for the record VS gives you higher frames, but the fiip side is you get tearing.

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 01-25-18, 04:49 PM   #10
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That looks like the smoke reflection, not the ship. It also looks like some pixelation rising with the leading edge of the smoke. Have you tried setting the SH3.exe properties "Compatibility" for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"? I used to get similar pixelation in smoke, but I don't remember what I did to get rid of it... Yikes! It a bother getting old and forgetful...

Thanks mate, this does kinda ring bells but I can't remember why

Waiting to hear from the_frog, if things don't play out, I will give your suggestion a try....... If I can remember where to find the bloody thing. Agreed old age is a bugger

Best regards and thanks.

Fubar
Old 01-26-18, 12:59 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For me, the bell ringing is constant, and it has nothing to do with my old boxing or football 'carreers', nor even Silent Hunter - it just goes with the territory...

I'm almost certain though that I made changes in the nVidia control panel, like JuanLiquid did. You get to that DPI setting thingie by right-clicking on your SH3.exe file in the game's root folder, choose "Properties" with a left-click in that 'context' menu, then click on the "Compatibility" tab. The middle section has "Disable visual themes" and "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". There's also the "Run this program as an administrator" in the section below. If you choose the 'administrator', you'll have to answer the UAC prompt "Are you sure...??" everytime you start the game, but for my computer, SH3 does not run correctly without doing that, and also setting the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" at the top of that tab page for something Win7 or earlier, if I'm using the Win8 or 10 machines.

My SH4 is the game that I had pixelation issues in before, along with strange reflections, and that was just after I got the GTX560Ti and was using their "default..." settings for the driver. I never did have trouble with my older nVidia 4450, nor my ATI cards...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 02:19 PM   #12
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

@propbeanie

Hi mate tried the disable DPI thingy, unfortunately no change Regarding my video settings I do these all thru Nvidia Inspector. If you chaps are interested I can post a screenie showing my settings, or if preferred up a *.nip file. Still waiting to hear from the_frog so still haven't given up hope .

Thanks for the continued interest mates

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 01-26-18, 03:10 PM   #13
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Default UPDATE

Hi chaps, and it is not good news

Ok I have tried everybody's suggestions so far, makmans elevated nvidia settings, propbeanies DPI Scaling, and JuanLiquids global settings.

I still have the flashing reflection, again I'm still waiting to hear from the frog. I am starting to wonder if this is something peculiar to this kind of smoke plume/explosion.

Training gives a glass like sea, as in my vid, but I still cannot reproduce that kind of explosion/smoke/damage.

Force H single mission is rough seas and no reflections at all, so that avenue is mute I think, unless the_frog has spotted something.

This is so frustrating.... thanks guys for your patience and interest. Keep piling those suggestions in.

Best regards.

Fubar
Old 01-26-18, 11:14 PM   #14
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

My first suspect.

Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Old 01-28-18, 03:50 PM   #15
the_frog
Commander

Hello,

took a while until I had something setup resembling Fubar2Niver's mod compilation. I couldn't make everything work due to some conflicts but that's probably because I use certain specific items.

My impressions:

1. Jeff is right, the Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71 mod is likely the major cause.
2. I couldn't reproduce the flashing effects with original SH3 ships but only with modded ones where the WaterReflection controller directly linked to the main model. (I think it was Kovall who once pointed out strange optical effects that occur when such ships become destroyed -- That's why I asked for the comparsion of Illustrious and Repulse.) However, I am not fully sure if that really matters.

So, my suggestion, either disable Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71 or start taking notes on ships and situations when the flashing occurs. Then, it might be possible to track down the cause. Also, the mod structure is rather complex and I assume there some conflicts.

Cheers